What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Resonance
This topic is about Resonance
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF male protagonist who sticks to routine and doesn't interact with people in an attempt to keep the world from changing around him. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 2 comments I read this book within the last 4-5 years, don't know how long it had been out at the time. The main character's backstory involves changes like he clearly remembers his father dying - several times - but after the first death, he went home one day and his father was alive and his mother acted like that was normal and she hadn't been grieving the day before.

As an adult he delivers mail in a big office building, and tries to do exactly the same things every day - catch the same train/bus, etc. - because that seems to make the world change less. Despite his best efforts, sometimes when he goes home, it's the wrong house and other people are living there.

The story takes off when he meets a woman - my memory gets fuzzy here, but I think she insists on talking to him? And then he meets several different versions of her. I remember more - the climactic scene particularly - but it's a unique enough setup that I'll withhold spoilers for now.

Sarah Holland | 124 comments How about The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula Le Guin? Do you remember anything about aliens, or a psychologist who works on changing reality as well?

message 4: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Love | 2074 comments This sounds like an interesting story - I've seen this kind of "dimensional drift" in short stories but not in a novel (as I recall).

message 5: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney | 2 comments Resonance, yes! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

message 6: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments You’re welcome.

message 7: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Love | 2074 comments Added Resonance to my list!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lathe of Heaven (other topics)
Resonance (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chris Dolley (other topics)