What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hit Me with Music
This topic is about Hit Me with Music
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Guide to starting your own band (for young people). [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments This book was for teens and tweens, although there was a frank warning against getting romantically involved with a bandmate. For the introduction, there was a poem by Alice Cooper (I think). There was also advice on topics to write songs about, and the author kept pretending he or she couldn't remember the name of the Beatles.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34379 comments Mod
A few guesses:
- Kidz Bop: Be a Pop Star!: Start Your Own Band, Book Your Own Gigs, and Become a Rock and Roll Phenom! by Kimberly Potts?
- How to Start Your Own Band by Daniel E. Harmon?
- Something by Scott Witmer?

I'd suggested using the Worldcat.org's advanced search - http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

Rosa, around what year did you read this nonfiction book?

Is this book targeted at both girls and boys?

message 3: by Rosa (last edited Oct 30, 2017 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments I'm afraid it's none of those. Thank you for the suggestions, though. I read this book between 2009 and 2012; I think it was from the nineties. Yes, it was for both girls and boys.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments The author (I think it was a man) mentioned some Asian band, I think Japanese, who wrote songs about everyday things. He used them as an example of not all songs having to be about love.
There was also some discussion of family bands and one-man bands, but not much, since, as he said, "You are reading this book to learn to form a band."

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments Bump.

message 6: by Andria (last edited Dec 14, 2017 07:37PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
I bet it's: Hit Me with Music.
Hit Me with Music by Stephanie Powell

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments Woo-hoo! That's it! Thank you very much, Andria (again).

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments I wish I could have a party and invite you, Ayshe, Kris, Tab, Kym, and everyone else who's found the books I'd forgotten. Wouldn't that be great?

message 9: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments I’m in. Just give me a few days notice so I can book a flight.

message 10: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments Hooray! :)

message 11: by Rosa (last edited Mar 23, 2018 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments Update: having received the book, the introduction is by Steven Tyler, not Alice Cooper (amusingly, I found out that these two were born a month apart in 1948).

message 12: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5099 comments And the Japanese band who wrote songs about eating chocolate bars and taking baths was Shonen Knife.