World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Do you have a high CQ, the "hidden talent" for success?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Oct 21, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Alex (asato) If you're active in this group, then you're probably open to increasing your CQ.

Article quotes begin here:
“The number one predictor of your success in today’s borderless world is not your IQ, not your resume (CV), and not even your expertise,” writes social scientist David Livermore in his book The Cultural Intelligence Difference. “It’s your CQ.”

According to the latest findings, a high CQ could be crucial in a wide range of careers, from bankers to soldiers and scientists and teachers – anyone, in fact, who regularly interacts with people from different backgrounds.
Typically CQ is measured through a series of questions that assess four distinct components. The first is “CQ Drive” – the motivation to learn about other cultures. Then there is “CQ Knowledge”, which is an understanding of some of the general cultural differences you may face. “CQ Strategy”, examines how you make sense of those difficult confrontations and learn from them while “CQ Action”, involves your behavioural flexibility – whether you are able to adapt your conduct like a cultural chameleon.
Crucially, Livermore, who is president of the Centre, says that CQ can be learned. There’s no replacement for direct, personal experience in another country, though it seems that people mostly benefit from having tasted a variety of different cultures if they want to learn those generalizable skills. “While understanding a specific culture can be useful, it may not predict at all your ability to engage effectively in a new place,” he says. “In fact, our research finds that individuals who have spent extended time in multiple locations are more likely to have higher CQ Knowledge than those who have lived multiple decades in one overseas setting.”

(The 'hidden talent' that determines success
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/2017...)

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14910 comments Hope people enjoy our CQ enrichment facility here -:)

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10696 comments This will presumably lead to a number of psychologists publishing books on how to improve your CQ. Once that has run its course, I guess there will be some other letter in front of Q :-(

message 4: by Kat (last edited Oct 24, 2017 02:22PM) (new)

Kat Well, I have lived and worked in 5 different countries so far. In the process, I learned to speak 3 new languages fluently, have learned how to cook with new ingredients available to me (sometimes out of necessity because my "usuals" were NOT available), have met a wide range of different people from different backgrounds (and became friends with some of them as well), and was exposed to a range of new cultural things. These were all sort of things, from Indian Takeaways in London ("going for an Indian" was totally new to me), to Pacific Island dancing in New Zealand.

I believe I have benefited hugely from all of this. There are "small" skills I have earned, like being able to drive on either the right or the left side of the road (in both left- and right-hand drives interchangeably), to "larger" things like being able to translate my work from one country to another.

In fact, I'm starting a new job next week. I got headhunted. Their opening line in their first contact email to me:

"Hi, we saw your profile on LinkedIn, and think you would fit perfectly into our company. Are you open to offers?"

I went for an interview and got offered a permanent contract the next day. One thing that impressed them were my language skills (which they tested during the interview with native speakers asking me questions about work-related things), and the other thing that impressed them was my ability to start work in a different country with a different language and do a good job, which my references attest to.

I would not have been able to get to this point in my life (or negotiate such a huge payrise) if I had stayed in my home country, being content with a little highschool English and no cultural experience other than my own.

So yeah, I think it does count.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14910 comments Kat wrote: "Well, I have lived and worked in 5 different countries so far. In the process, I learned to speak 3 new languages fluently, have learned how to cook with new ingredients available to me (sometimes ..."

Congrats and good luck with the new job, Kat!

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5791 comments Kat! All I can say is "Wow." You're either very brave or you were born fearless. Sending you an Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind always be at your back,
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home,
And may the hand of a friend always be near.