Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Michael Moorcock's Multiverse
This topic is about Michael Moorcock's Multiverse
Group Reads > Nov-Dec 2017 (b) Michael

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.E., Gray Mouser (last edited Oct 21, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2224 comments Mod
Any Michael: author or cover artists. Bonus street cred goes to folks who pick books that have both cover artists and author sharing names.

Anything by Michael Moorcock, or cover art by Michael Whelan. Any other Michael's are fair game too

Check out your TBR list, look for any cover artist or author with MICHAEL...and getting reading.

message 2: by Mary (new)

message 3: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Mary wrote: "Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4) by Edgar Rice Burroughs"

Is the cover artist a "Michael"?

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 704 comments S.E. wrote: "Mary wrote: "Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4) by Edgar Rice Burroughs"

Is the cover artist a "Michael"?"

Yup. Google "Michael Whelan" to find still more

message 5: by Jason M (new)

Jason M Waltz (worddancer) | 302 comments Jack, I've long wondered about Mallus Darkblade, so I'll look for your full report!

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard | 682 comments Mark me down for just finishing A Spell for Chameleon. Cover art by the awesome Michael Whelan! Where's my participation award?!? lol, j/k

Anthony | 7 comments Howdy folks! I'm taking up the challenge and re-reading my favorite stand-alone Michael Moorcock novel, which is "Blood: A Southern Fantasy". It sure ain't sword and sorcery, but it certainly is fantastic literature! Highly recommended for anyone interested in novels that feature a cornucopia of inventive images, words, characters and plot lines.

message 8: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

This would be a great tine to read Michael Shea's works

http://www.michaelsheaauthor.com

Nifft the Lean
or
Undying in Yana

On anyone's to-read list?

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard | 682 comments I have Undying In Yana but I seem to have lost my copy of Nifft the Lean.

message 10: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1202 comments Mod
I reread both Nifft and In Yana a couple of years ago when I heard of his passing. Both are highly recommended; at some point I should revisit the rest of the Nifft series.

message 11: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Michael time: Decided to revisit Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion and its sequels.

message 12: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Am now starting The Dragon in the Sword: Book 3 of Erekosë Trilogy, the third & final Eternal Champion/Erekosë novel. After this, something by a William will probably be in order.

message 13: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Joseph wrote: "Am now starting The Dragon in the Sword: Book 3 of Erekosë Trilogy, the third & final Eternal Champion/Erekosë novel. After this, something by a William will probably be in order."

I've had the first Erkose book on my shelf for many years; your reviews are encouraging me to relook at that one and the only Elric book I have not completed: The Revenge of the Rose

message 14: by Joseph, Master Ultan (last edited Dec 05, 2017 05:08PM) (new)

S.E. wrote: "I've had the first Erkose book on my shelf for many years; your reviews are encouraging me to relook at that one and the only Elric book I have not completed: The Revenge of the Rose ..."

Thank you! Both worth your time, although I'd say Eternal Champion is the better of those two. And I'd also encourage you to track down a copy of Phoenix in Obsidian/The Silver Warriors if you get a chance.

Phoenix in Obsidian

message 15: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Actually,Joseph, your recent reviews of the Dragonlance chronicles—Twin Series had me stoked too. I always wanted to learn Raistlin’s evolution/past. You are killing my to-read pile

message 16: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

S.E. wrote: "Actually,Joseph, your recent reviews of the Dragonlance chronicles—Twin Series had me stoked too. I always wanted to learn Raistlin’s evolution/past. You are killing my to-read pile"

My fiendish plan is working ...

message 17: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

As I think about it, of all of Moorcock's work, Silver Warriors/Phoenix in Obsidian would probably be the best choice for a film adaptation -- it's a relatively self-contained work (you could gloss over most of the Eternal Champion connections) in a vivid setting with a reasonably straightforward plot.

And it even comes with a pre-made film poster!

The Silver Warriors (Erekosë, #2) by Michael Moorcock