Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 3rd week, chapter 15 through 24

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3879 comments Mod
So far we have many story lines. Near the beginning of chapter 16, the narrator says "What connexion can there have been between many people...who...have...been very curiously brought together?

1. How do some of the story lines start coming together?

2. Who was Snagsby's friend, Mrs Chadband?

3. What connections, if any, are revealed between Lady Dedlock and Esther?

4. What impressions do you get about Richard in this section?

5. What about the character of Esther is revealed in her discourse about her sleep?

6. What does Sir Leicester suffer from?

7. Whose face is like a mirror in which Esther sees old memories?

8. How many suicides have been mentioned so far?

9. Is a life without passion and deep engagement unbearable?

10. What role does Jo serve?

11. Why do you think Mr Jarndyce orders Richard and Ada to dissolve their romantic relationship?

12. Who is the woman dressed like the one who asked J for directions to the burial grounds?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa So far we have many story lines. Near the beginning of chapter 16, the narrator says "What connexion can there have been between many people...who...have...been very curiously brought together?

1. How do some of the story lines start coming together?
In all kinds of twisted ways, most shocking one for me was that Mrs Rachel is now the wife of the verbos preacher who is at the Snagsby’s. And they all know Jo now, and Jo has crossed paths with Mrs Dedlock, and her ex servant, and Mr Bucket the inspector with Jo and Grindly. Jo and the bricklayer family and Jenny from near Bleak House.

2. Who was Snagsby's friend, Mrs Chadband?

Formally Miss Rachel from Esther’s youth.

3. What connections, if any, are revealed between Lady Dedlock and Esther?

Lots who have seen one, seem to think the other looks familiar...I think a few have guessed at some connection. I haven’t seen any concrete yet, but It’s getting closer.

4. What impressions do you get about Richard in this section?

He is definitely indicisive and just waiting for his inheritance to come so he can do what he wants, sadly though any experience with the case should show him that may never happen.

5. What about the character of Esther is revealed in her discourse about her sleep?

???? Troubled, dreams, not sure yet

6. What does Sir Leicester suffer from?

Gout

7. Whose face is like a mirror in which Esther sees old memories?

Mrs Dedlock

8. How many suicides have been mentioned so far?

... hmmm. None, one suspected, but was ruled an accidental overdose.

9. Is a life without passion and deep engagement unbearable?
Seems to be be in this story.

10. What role does Jo serve?
He’s our man on the streets, who everyone passes by, and he pays attention to who crosses his path. An intermediary, connecting between different groups.

11. Why do you think Mr Jarndyce orders Richard and Ada to dissolve their romantic relationship?

I think he thinks Richard isn’t responsible enough for it as yet, and he’s right. I also think he hopes actually needing to work for her hand might make him be more responsible instead of just assuming it will all come to him in time if he waits it out.

12. Who is the woman dressed like the one who asked J for directions to the burial grounds?

Mrs Hortense, the (ex) maid of Lady Dedlock. Who was left to walk back after the carriage shoeless after the storm. Who also went and asked Esther to be her maid.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 438 comments btw, I googled marrow pudding (the 'pastry' dessert in Chapter 20).
It is ..."Toasted bread, raisins, bone marrow and creamy ginger-spiced custard are layered up in a dish, topped with a puff pastry lid and baked in the oven for the ultimate in comfort food." (according to the Lost Cookbook blog- https://lostcookbook.wordpress.com/20... )
Modern versions use butter in place of marrow, and are just bread pudding with raisins.