Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anya (new)

Anya Kysel (anyakysel) | 26 comments Hello everyone, new Goodreads member here! :) - really, I just joined about 2 hours ago. Still getting used to the web navigation and settings.

First of all, thank you to Julie A. Gerber and Carole P. Roman for creating this group. And thank you in advance to all of you whom I surely will be seeking help from sometime down the road.

...Like now. For one, may I have a quick introduction to the inner workings of this group? I understand there is a lovely "Pay It Forward" movement being cultivated here, but I'm wondering if it were only published authors who had the authority to post under that heading and help review manuscripts or blurbs. Where might less experienced readers/writers offer to help beta-read others' work?

Also, in this group, can I simply ask for opinions on one opening line or one ending hook each time, instead of say, a whole blurb or an excerpt? Will that be considered as bad etiquette? I have this concern after seeing how another group encourage only full manuscripts to be reviewed among its members, and I hope to respect the ways "Navigating Indieworld" is run.

Thank you for your clarifications. I hope I've posted in the appropriate forum, and I look much forward to making friends here!

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Hi, Anya

I can't speak for everyone in the group, but as far as I am concerned you are welcome to request help on any part of your manuscript/blurb/cover etc without needing to request help on all of it.
The group is wonderful when it comes to helping in a huge variety of ways, they've really made a difference to my writing.

Carole and Julie are truly great ladies and this group they have created is just the place to be.

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4603 comments Mod
Thanks Alex, Welcome to the group Anya. You can try anything you like- Post anyway you want. We are an open books here and like to try new things.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1496 comments Mod
Welcome, Anya! One thing I love about this group is how relaxed it is around here and how encouraging all the members are. :)

message 5: by Carole (new)

Me too, Erica, we put so much pressure on ourselves, this is the last place we should see it.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Hi Anya, welcome. Nah, you just ask things. Doesn’t matter what it is. We’re not heavy on rules. Which is just as well as I’d have broke all of them.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "Hi Anya, welcome. Nah, you just ask things. Doesn’t matter what it is. We’re not heavy on rules. Which is just as well as I’d have broke all of them."

You're a rebel, Amy, lol.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I wish. I’m just clumsy and forgetful.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "I wish. I’m just clumsy and forgetful."

I'd tell everyone you're a rebel, makes you sound cooler

message 10: by Anya (new)

Anya Kysel (anyakysel) | 26 comments Thank you to all for your sweet welcome! :)

Alex - Cute dog! My profile pic feels like clawing at it, heh. I am glad to have your positive review about this group, and I feel more confident I'm in the right place now. I even chuckled at your little banter with Amy. This community of people really feels fun and relaxing to be with!

Carole - That extent of freedom allowed in the forums here was quite unexpected, but welcoming! I'll be sure to make good use of (and of course, contribute to) the generosity offered here. I adore your assurance that there is no need to feel stress or pressure in this community, thanks!

CeDany - Your greeting made me smile! You sounded like those kind of warm and friendly next-door-auntie who would pop her head out the window to say hi and to share something new about your cats everyday when I returned home from school. But that said, I went to check out your profile bio, and I'm sorry to read about your son. I wish to offer my condolences but I have no wise words possible to ease the pain. I hope your family stay well and healthy. - With regard to your question, I'm a writer! Not yet an author, but hoping to be...someday...after I stop procrastinating this much. :P It's inspiring to see you, an author, working hard, though! And yes, urgghhhh to formatting!

Erica - You're right, I'm feeling those sentiments already in these comments! I'm really glad to have found this group. Thank you for your work in speech therapy, it's a delight to make your acquaintance! :)

Amy - Thanks, Amy! So, next time a moderator chases after me for having broken a rule, I can just point to you and remind them who the real rebel leader is, right? :D Anyway, glad to hear how friendly and easy-going this community is, and I wish to know you all better in time...and decide for myself if you're indeed just clumsy and forgetful, or you indeed work for Princess Leia.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Anya, Molly tends to bark a lot at cats but most cats are bigger than she is so she has to be careful

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineroney) | 261 comments Hi Anya - welcome to the group!

message 13: by Anya (new)

Anya Kysel (anyakysel) | 26 comments Alex - Aww, poor Molly. :) Ask her to play nicer with the felines! How did she get her name of Molly though, if I may ask?

Christine - Thanks! Glad to make your acquaintance, and hope to see you around!

CeDany - Hey, sorry, didn't mean to offend with the word "auntie"! >.< I just wanted a word that conveyed casual familiarity (so "lady" seemed a notch higher) and also to indicate that you're married and with children (so "sister" or "girl" seemed to suggest otherwise and thus might have been impolite, in my interpretation). I really meant "auntie" in the warm, affectionate sense. But if I'd offended, I apologize.

Oh, yes, the female Ghostbusters, I've heard you'd either love the movie or hate it. I haven't seen it myself. I'm still on Sherlock and Game of Thrones!

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments You should see Molly when she's around big dogs like Huskies or Alsatians, she goes nuts. No idea how she came to be called Molly, mum picked the name out when she got her.

Love Game of Thrones, books and series, though they're different things now, more different with every series.

message 15: by Anya (last edited Oct 21, 2017 04:39PM) (new)

Anya Kysel (anyakysel) | 26 comments Alex wrote: "You should see Molly when she's around big dogs like Huskies or Alsatians, she goes nuts. No idea how she came to be called Molly, mum picked the name out when she got her.

Love Game of Thrones, b..."

Yay, thank you for accepting my friend request! :D Had to google on how to add friends on Goodreads and finally located that little grey arrow.

Well, Molly, it is then! Never question mum. :) And I think I can almost hear the way she would yelp (or bark) at those larger dogs! Familiar sounds between dog-walkers at the local seaside. Also familiar images in comics of a larger dog just opening his mouth to make the other disappear.

Hey, glad to meet another GoT fan! Well, with the increased media pressure and reader expectations, I'd think writers tend to grow more conscious of their creative works, unfortunately. Are your mystery/crime/thriller novels inspired somewhat from GoT? :)

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments No, no GoT inspiration for my mysteries, I lean more towards Agatha Christie and the crime writers from the early half of the 20th Century for my writing style - I aim for realistic crimes and mysteries, but without too much in the way of overt violence, though some of the books do have it in there.
I'd love to write fantasy like GoT, though perhaps without quite the same level of violence and unnecessary sex, fantasy is one of my favourite genres, unfortunately I'm a better mystery writer than I am a fantasy writer.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy Martialay | 320 comments Anya wrote: "Hello everyone, new Goodreads member here! :) - really, I just joined about 2 hours ago. Still getting used to the web navigation and settings.

First of all, thank you to Julie A. Gerber and Carol..."

Welcome to the group, Anya!

message 18: by Eva (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 103 comments Welcome, Anya!

message 19: by Anya (last edited Oct 25, 2017 05:14AM) (new)

Anya Kysel (anyakysel) | 26 comments Alex - Ahh, yes, Agatha Christie. My sister had to read "ABC Murders" for school once, and couldn't stop talking to me about it for weeks. I like to watch crime series, though I don't read such genre as much. It's interesting to hear how one may be better in writing a certain genre even if another genre may be his favourite! When put this way, it sounds like a writer's genre is an innate preference, and that sounds beautiful. I hope the editing process for your sci-fi novel (tentative title: "An Unwanted Inheritance") is going well? :) I'm editing my manuscript too, and I welcome your constructive input on my first line!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Judy - Hello and thank you! Your profile bio is fascinating! If I may ask, which foreign language might you have been teaching? I love languages. こんにちは!

Eva - Hello and thank you! Congratulations on the success of "An Enlightening Quiche" - what a funny and memorable title! Hope to see you around the forums and get to know you better!

message 20: by Carole (new)

Welcome Anya

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Electricians in the house have hampered editing, Anya, but they should be gone by lunchtime tomorrow so I caneed get back to it then.
I had a look at your opening and like it, just a bit of tightening up needed.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy Martialay | 320 comments Anya wrote: "Alex - Ahh, yes, Agatha Christie. My sister had to read "ABC Murders" for school once, and couldn't stop talking to me about it for weeks. I like to watch crime series, though I don't read such gen..."

Konnichi wa, Anya, I taught French and Spanish: we speak Spanish at home, and some Italian. I have studied Japanese forever and can communicate with textbook and dictionary open, not much more!

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenpicca) | 48 comments I am a relatively new member of this community and have had nothing but support and useful information, so welcome, Anya. This community is a valued resource.

message 24: by Anya (new)

Anya Kysel (anyakysel) | 26 comments Judy - Lovely, you're a multilinguist! By the way, as I understand, "konnichiwa" is usually written without spacing between as it is a greeting word "Hello" in its whole form. ;) For me, my French will be put to the test this December when my family and I visit France - I think we'll just fall back to using English and a lot of gesturing and google images showing, though. :) Any quick tips on French (language/people/culture/food)?

Helen - Hello and thank you for the welcome! :) Yes, this community has proven to be very friendly and helpful. I hope I can contribute some efforts back soon! Delighted to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you around!

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy Martialay | 320 comments For learning some French, my favorite is the Berlitz Basic Course in French. I used the book for Chinese. I think it's more fun to try to say things, and people appreciate your efforts. French for dummies has some cute things to say, but not everything is on the CD. There's always Rosetta Stone, but it's more expensive and extensive.
About food: Christmastime: la bûche de Noël, the Yule log. I make one every year. And, la gratinée, onion soup with a crusty topping, and nothing beats la baguette and le croissant. I envy you, have a great time.

message 26: by P.L. (new)

P.L. Stuart | 4 comments Hi everyone! I'm P.L., and I literally just joined the group a few moments ago! Happy to be part of it! Looks like a great resource / place to connect, and support each other in this weird and wonderful world of self-publishing! I'm looking forward to engaging with everyone!

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread