Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Hilldiggers
This topic is about Hilldiggers
Serieses! > Polity series numbering

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tommi (new)

Tommi | 4 comments When I came across Polity book series, a question in "Prador Moon" had an answer contained link to the suggested read order:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WE0NuMU8vH...

The Polity universe chronological listing seems to agree with this list.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4912...

The only problem I noticed is the Hilldiggers. It's labelled as "Polity 2" here:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4912...
and as " (Polity - stand alone #2)" in the book page. There is no "Polity - Stand alone #1" or "Polity #1" anywhere.
This seems to be quite complex series with publishation years conflicting with recommended read order, so not an easy piece of work.
But at least the "Polity #2" could be fixed.

message 2: by Empress (last edited Oct 20, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) The main series page is Polity which is the common universe. Please note that the author's order as per the link you provided here, indeed matches the series order. That is the chronological internal timeline (or order of events in the books) of the series and there is no need to amend the publishing dates. For a lot of series the chronology does not match the publishing order. That would require creating a separate series page.

If you notice in the Polity series page, each book is numbered as per it's sub-series which is correct and it is why the titles may not match the main universe name.

To whoever is looking at this, please do not change the chronological order of the series. If you want to proceed with the publishing order, please create a separate series as per the manual.

On a separate note, why was the Standalone series created I do not know. As per the author's suggested order Hildiggers is a standalone in the Universe so the name can be changed to Hilldiggers (Polity), but I wold keep the order on the Polity Universe page.

Edit: I moved the main series up for Hilldiggers so it will display the correct numbering.

message 3: by Tommi (last edited Oct 24, 2017 12:44AM) (new)

Tommi | 4 comments Hello

I agree with the above.
On the book page the name is now better, showing "Hilldiggers (Polity Universe (chronological order) #15)".
However, the actual book name when viewed in any series page still is off.
It still shows as "Hilldiggers (Polity, #2)".
The book name that is visible in series page should be changed to also show the "Hilldiggers (Polity Universe #15)" like done with "Prador Moon (Polity Universe, #1)" and with "Shadow of the Scorpion (Polity Universe #2)". Another possibility is to have it's name show up as "Hilldiggers" like done with "The Technician". The current "Polity #2" is confusing since no such series exist and it's the only book showing that tag.

message 4: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Tommi,

glad we agree. :)

I have changed the book name to Hilldiggers (Polity Universe #15)

The default edition of The Shadow of the Scorpion is titled Shadow of the Scorpion (Polity Universe #2).

You need to give us the ASIN/ISBN of the edition which title is not displaying this for you so we can edit that.

I have edited most English editions to match the series name.

Let me know if there is anything else.