21st Century Literature discussion

The Library at Mount Char
This topic is about The Library at Mount Char
2017 Book Discussions > The Library on Mount Char, Part II: Chapters 7-10 (Oct 2017)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (last edited Jan 31, 2020 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments I'm reading along with most of you and have been mulling over, whether or not to split up Part II because it's heartier in pages ...Realizing now (on page 244), it's heartier in content as well. I apologize, but considering what has come to light in these chapters, I think the Lions and Steve needed their own section.

I posted this thread to discuss the course of Steve's arc because so much has been revealed since the last page of Part I through the first four chapters in Part II; to shed light on the impact of these POV chapters, and the effects of a non-linear narrative on the growing plot line. While most of this can be better elaborated upon in the final thread, I wanted to embrace more of everybody's initial insights with the changing trajectory of the story.

Also, we just read annaction packed scene in chapter 10, it would be remiss of me to not ask what everybody was thinking while the Librarians were being ambushed, or after realizing the White House was under attack...Were you on overload, was the narrative continuing to build on its initial intrigue, or are your sails slowly finding themselves void of a full speed wind...Did it make you hungry for Mexican food, especially that guacamole, I don't know (:P)?

If your thoughts are reeling after reading Chapters 7-10, please use this thread to purge the insanity. Also, if you're finding it difficult to convey your thoughts, a stream of consciousness post is always welcome (those are fun to sift through, FYI)! Regardless, the finish line is within reach...Almost there, folks. What a bloody ride!

message 2: by Ami (last edited Oct 19, 2017 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments In what twisted world would I ever find myself cheering for lions over dogs? In Scott Hawkins twisted world, that's where. I felt wretched and over indulged my beagles in treats after. SMH!

I'll be back to post more a little later, so please don't let me stop you from contributing in the meanwhile.

Bethany I finished the book about a week ago as an audiobook, so I'm slightly hazy as to where chapters ended. I'll mostly post in part II or the epilogue sections in order not to spoil things for people.
The lions are pretty awesome. They become very interesting characters in their own right. I will be back to post.

message 4: by Ami (last edited Oct 22, 2017 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Bethany wrote: "I finished the book about a week ago as an audiobook, so I'm slightly hazy as to where chapters ended. I'll mostly post in part II or the epilogue sections in order not to spoil things for people. ..."

Hi there! Thank you for joining in. Yes, an audiobook might make things a little hazy as far as beginning and ends, I understand. Post what you can, where you are able. We'll all be in the same place soon enough...

message 5: by Ami (last edited Oct 22, 2017 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Steve's Arc & the Religion Theme
Steve has decided to join the cause and is on his way to retrieving the reissak aerial for Carolyn. An altercation with a swarm of dogs and a plethora of injuries later, we find Steve and the lions on the mend in one of the houses belonging to the dead ones. Regardless of how disposable Carolyn considers them to be, Steve refuses to leave Dresden and Naga behind, saving them from an ill-fated death...Finally able to put into practice a tenet of Buddhist values, an association with Steve we've read to be important since his introduction to the story. Hawkins also gives us more back story to Steve's life, both through the Jack chapter and Carolyn's commentary (strategically placed throughout these pages).

What appears to be a motivation by guilt from past misdeeds, Steve finds solace in his want to practice and living truth through Buddhism. Religion has obviously been a strong theme since the beginning, Hawkins seamlessly weaving between two religiosities seen through Carolyn, as a representation of a fundamental religion and Steve as a mutable Buddhist....Did anybody else notice this juxtaposition between the two characters, at this point, or even earlier?

POV Chapters
POV chapters, if done well, can truly take the landscape of a story line to whole other level; be it, by enhancing the characters telling the story through their own voice, or by adding another layer of complexity to the plot. Hawkins gives us this through Carolyn's POV chapters, but he also decided to gift us with the voices of Steve, and even Dresden. While I found the Carolyn and Steve POV dialogues to be some of the more dynamic moments in the story, I was most moved by Dresden's chapter in Part I and its effect on my reading Asuras (some more mythology for you) in Part II. Dresden's POV in Part I, single-handedly lifts up Asuras with the strength and intimacy created through his voice. Multiple PsOV, both the voices of human and non-human characters, these approaches can be challenging for any writer, it's no simple feat... Do you think Hawkins was successful in this endeavor, is it done well, or did you find the head-hopping jarring and difficult to follow, is it overdone?

Non-Linear Plot line
There are a plethora of novels that use this approach to writing for various reasons. When I think non-linear narrative, Infinite Jest or 2666, always come to mind off the top of my head because both were constantly shifting between past and present. It was necessary to give the novel intermittent moments to take a breath due to the serious nature of the dense subject matter.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but the Jack chapter compelled me to ask you...What you make of this approach in "TLaMC," so far...Is it necessary, or does it detract from creating any flow?

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments I think I could root for the lions cause the dogs weren't really dogs, you know? They were pretty much demons.

I found the switching POV just fine. Done very well in this book! I think you put it very well, it's like a breather during all the craze.

Beverly | 142 comments I used an audio book for this section (did an ebook up to this point).

I thought the audio was well done - maybe it worked well as a lot of this part is Erwin & Steve and the thoughts I had on each of the their personalities from the first part were well on display here.

For me the humor helped with the violent scenes.
Several times I was actually laughing out loud.

I did notice the connection to religion - but there is a tendency to call anything that we do not understand or fits the "norm" a cult so can see that with Carolyn and crew but I still see them as the 12 Apostles.

Steve for me is still playing the role of the "innocent" but did see where his connection to do right he would connect with Buddhism.

Yes, loved the interaction with Steve and the Lions. So glad that Naga survived and believing that she is a female - also means her line will not die if she gets a chance to mate.

I do not have a problem with non-linear narratives (and it seems they are becoming more and more common in storylines today).

I am interesting to see how this all pulls together and if the end will be interesting twist.

Another question I have been wondering about - who are the good guys and who are the bad guys - is there a good vs evil theme here?

Back to reading.

message 8: by Ami (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Beverly wrote: "I used an audio book for this section (did an ebook up to this point).

I thought the audio was well done - maybe it worked well as a lot of this part is Erwin & Steve and the thoughts I had on eac..."

Humor
I thought Steve and Erwin had did a great job conveying quite a few of the more humorous lines...Or, rather, the sarcastic lines.

but I still see them as the 12 Apostles.
Since you've mentioned it, I have been also. I really loved this detail of Hawkins, how he fleshed out two different religions through Steve and Carolyn.

message 9: by Ami (last edited Oct 31, 2017 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "I think I could root for the lions cause the dogs weren't really dogs, you know? They were pretty much demons.

I found the switching POV just fine. Done very well in this book! I think you put it ..."

After the ambush and the demise of the White House, I was slightly bewildered by the number of pages left to read. All I kept thinking was, what more could possibly happen after this crescendo of a moment...What else can be said/needs to be said, aside from some of the questions we've all been wondering about since the beginning? I too thought the POV chapters were necessary to cut through the insanity of the novel, giving this thriller/dark fantasy a human touch. The POV chapters enable the novel to remain grounded and within the grasp of the mind...At least, within the grasp of my mind.

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments Good call about the Apostles. There is probably that symbolism there. Also, very good question about good and evil. I wonder if you'll be able to answer that question for yourself after you finish the book. (view spoiler)

And Ami, I agree! I was also like "what could possibly still happen?? This already seems like the end! Heh.