Play Book Tag discussion

The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1)
This topic is about The Hate U Give
October 2017: Society > The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas - 3.5 rounded to 4

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments It pains me to say that I didn't love this as much as I anticipated I would. I want to preface my review by saying that I had a lot going on in my life while I was reading this and it is quite likely that these events impacted upon my appreciation of the book, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I was unable to give it the attention I would usually give a book and read it in fits and starts, as well as being preoccupied with other things.

I might be over YA fiction. I really think I might. I tousled with whether to rate this based on how I think it would read to its intended audience, or whether to rate it based on my own personal experience. I've chosen the latter, but had it been the former I think that The Hate U Give deserves and five. For me though, I found that the way the relationships were drawn out lacked the depth that I want in a book. Although I really appreciated reading about how such an event impacts upon individuals, families and communities, it missed a certain intricacy that I found myself craving. I didn't feel an emotional tug. I'm still glad to have read it but can't give it a four when I look at the company it would be keeping in terms of my other four star reviews. 3.5 it is.

I'd love to hear what my book twins Nicole D and Anita think when they read it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I am reading this right now, but am only about 15% through.

I may end up feeling the way you to about the relationships and the YA tone, but as of now, I am struck by how many cultural touchstones she is weaving in.

I know that in the end I will be highly swayed by the topic and her boldness in tackling it head on and interpreting it for a YA audience.

Susie | 4488 comments I really think my feelings about it have been skewed by my personal life. My Dad's stroke has had a massive impact on him and consequently us so my head has been somewhere else.

Bold she definitely is, and she doesn't skirt around the issues one bit. I really appreciated that her writing is unapologetic. I'll elaborate on my feelings when you are finished.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I totally agree that personal life impacts my view of books! Both positively and negatively. And your father’s stroke is a huge, all encompassing, emotionally and physically draining, life altering event.

I can totally see where you are having a range of complex and sophisticated reactions and feelings which just shines a light on the simplicity and lack of depth relationships in a YA novel.

Also, you continue to be in my thoughts and I hope things are getting better, or realistically just manageable, with your father.

Anita Pomerantz | 6288 comments Susie wrote: "It pains me to say that I didn't love this as much as I anticipated I would. I want to preface my review by saying that I had a lot going on in my life while I was reading this and it is quite like..."

Hmmm. I am on the library waiting list for this one. (#111 on 14 copies, sigh).

Look forward to comparing notes, but I'm not a big fan of YA, so I'm a little skeptical going into the book in the first place. Your review isn't helping, but I totally understand how real life impacts reading life! This happens to me all the time. I feel terrible hearing about your Dad, but glad you have a close family to lean on and to support one another.

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for your thoughts Nicole and Anita. I appreciate them.

Nicole, are you listening to the audio?

Based on the reviews it seems that I am literally the only person on Earth who didn't love it!!

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I really liked her word choice throughout. A lot of YA feels kind of dumbed down to me but in this I didn't feel that way. I'm struggling to remember an example because I read it back at the beginning of the year. I was hoping it felt authentic from someone who has had a similar experience because it felt authentic to me. That's why I rated it highly, I felt a connection to the heroine (Star? I can't remember her name!) that was new to me.

message 8: by Joi (last edited Oct 19, 2017 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments The voice in this book was SOO YA. I didn't mind it because it was so colloquial and slang-y it made it feel more like a kid's (or 16 year old) perspective to me. I do read quite a bit of YA so I think I'm more used to the difference in reading YA and adult fiction.

I think one reason why I was promoting people to read it now is just because the references are so 2017. Like to 'dab' or the music references. They won't mean as much in 10 years, let alone even next year because trends are so current.

Anita Pomerantz | 6288 comments Joi wrote: "The voice in this book was SOO YA. I didn't mind it because it was so colloquial and slang-y it made it feel more like a kid's (or 16 year old) perspective to me. I do read quite a bit of YA so I t..."

Interesting. I just read Mrs. Fletcher and felt that one of the coolest thing about it was how 2017 all the references were . . .there is something fun about that, but when I put that part out of my mind, there's not a whole lot else there really.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Susie, I am listening to the audio!