Summer Maiden: Persephone's Fall Summer Maiden discussion

BDSM?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Without spoilers, what kind of BDSM does this book feature?

message 2: by Eva (last edited Oct 18, 2017 05:33PM) (new) - added it

Eva Hi there!

Good question. I think a lot of people forget that BDSM is a combination of three different acronyms. There's BD (Bondage and Discipline), D/s (Dominance and Submission), and SM (Sadism and Masochism).

I haven't read Fifty Shades or seen the film, but I understand that was mostly D/s with a bit of light discipline? I think a lot of people think of that as the entirety of BDSM. This isn't really that.

This will eventually be three short books (all stand-alone with cross over characters) . The first one is definitely the most SM of the three, and can be rough in parts. There's some D/s and discipline, but Aidon (Hades) and Persephone are inescapably sadistic and and masochistic, respectively.

Persephone isn't a dark character, and I believe her journey is a happy one, but it's definitely a dark story because of the SM element. That said, it is intended as a love story, where two people who wouldn't be right for anyone else find each other.

For those who are curious, Apollo and Daphne's story is more of a BD one (mostly B—lots of rope), and Eros and Psyche will have D/s elements, I think.

Ultimately, in these books I am devoted to keeping everything that happens in the original myths intact. I am simply telling them through a different lens—and if I'm successful, I'd like to perhaps change the way we see the women in them, and their agency in the stories.

For this particular Hades/Persephone myth, that means that there is a dubious non-consent element in this book, as anyone familiar with Persephone's famous rape story might suspect. It has some intense moments for both characters and is violent as a result. I can't say more without spoilers, but I will stress that it isn't for everyone.

If you don't like that sort of story, I recommend you maybe skip Persephone's story and come back for Daphne, which is more light-hearted and should be arriving after Thanksgiving. =)

Cheers

E