Shut Up & Read discussion

Past-Read It & Reap Books > {Read It & Reap 795} Wretched by Jake Remington

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Leigh | 15889 comments Mod
What is Read It & Reap?
Our Read It & Reap program is designed with authors in mind. Our goal is to help indie and self-published authors promote their books. If you are signing up to review Please Remember you have 3 weeks to read and review and post the links to your review on this page! For more information about RI&R and our Rules & Requirements click here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

Title: Wretched
Author: Jake Remington
Genre: Psychological Thriller
: Formats Available: Pdf
Pages: 350

Synopsis:

Bruce Mclean has experienced more tragedy and blessing in his forty-five years than most people would over several lifetimes.

Orphaned at six when his mother died of a heroin overdose, he was fortunate enough to be adopted by a loving and caring couple - but tragedy returned to strike again at twelve, when his adoptive mother died of cancer, and yet again in high school, when his adoptive father was killed in a car accident.

Bruce enters adulthood completely alone in life and haunted by dreams of a mother he barely remembers.

Both exceptional and flawed in many ways, Bruce perseveres and marries a beautiful woman with whom he fathers a daughter. He goes on to build a successful business empire and considerable wealth.

But fate isn’t anywhere near finished with Bruce. Years later, divorced, he makes a lifestyle choice to relocate to a small idyllic mountain town. He is determined to move on to a new phase in his life.

There he meets Tara, a very sexy and very dangerous woman, and is suddenly thrust into a web of sex, lies, deceit, and betrayal that threaten not only his business and wealth, but everything he holds dear.

Like Bruce, Tara is extremely active, and after a few sessions of tearing up the mountain bike trails as well as ravaging each other, Bruce is completely under the spell of this alluring woman.
But all is not what it seems, for Tara is from a different world than Bruce. As an ex-marine and mercenary, she is a very strong female but she is also an unapologetic psychopath.

Bruce soon finds that to protect his loved ones, he must navigate through the impossible odds stacked against him by those who would seek his destruction, while at the same time dealing with his own inner demons and a tragic past that seems determined to follow him.

Caution: Novel Contains some graphic sexual content.

The first 50 people to sign up leaving their email address, format they require will receive this free ebook for review

Review Due Date: November 7, 2017

message 2: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Dec 28, 2017 10:15AM) (new)

Reviewers
Brittany
Tracey
Brandie

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 64 comments Daniellscott1@gmail.com

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey_williams) | 52 comments I would love to read it.
trawill726@gmail.com mobi please. Thank you!

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Tracey wrote: "I would love to read it.
trawill726@gmail.com mobi please. Thank you!"

Pdf is the only format available. Do you still want to review it?

message 6: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Brittany wrote: "Daniellscott1@gmail.com"

I have added you.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey_williams) | 52 comments Yes I'll still review

message 8: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Tracey wrote: "Yes I'll still review"

I have added you.

message 9: by Brandie Lea (new)

Brandie Lea Slicer | 2 comments I really enjoyed this novel and hope to see a 2nd where Bruce finds out who his Father his, (with Tara's help), and where and how he moves on with his life. Some of the sex scenes were quite steamy! But around page 161- spoilers- so don't read on unless you have read it ! Things start to get quite intense!

The waterboarding scenes made me super uncomfortable as I know people who have gone through this for training and I can't even begin to imagine. The intricate lies and betrayals were heartbreaking and beyond every corner. There just wasn't any way to predict what would happen next and to whom. Although, in my humble opinion, Rick got off quite easy. I'd like to see him pay up more if there is a sequel, and I hope there is! I don't feel like Tara is a Psychopath or any diagnosis related to that. I believe if that were the case there would have been a lot more death in this novel than there were. She may not believe she feel's emotion, but she does feel. Her code, or whatever she calls it, IS her belief system. She has multiple chances to dispatch human beings that a sociopath would view as objects rather than human beings - and she doesn't. Although, I do see her bringing a new dog into Bruce's life in the future. Because, Bob (the dog ), at the time was an objective in her mission. We see her feelings change for Bruce, even Clare - change towards the end. Her code even demands restitution towards Byron's family that has been left behind.
This isn't merely a "code", military- mercenary or otherwise. She truly wants to set "wrongs" "right". Implying to some degree, a very basic tenet of a good human nature, that was damaged and tested at a very young age. So she found coping skills to protect herself. Being a female, exposed to some very nasty things early in my own life. I also joined the military, kept my feelings guarded, and my personal life even more guarded.
At the end of the story we see Tara becoming more "human", remembering Bruce's birthday, stopping by his Daughter (Clare's) store to say Hi, and purchase some items for her ski trip to meet Bruce. These don't seem to be actions of a sociopath or psychotic.

In the end we see Clare, having lost her way, finding herself again. Through Nature, spiritually, bonding with her Dad, setting up her own business, surviving and thriving. Bruce seems happy as well. Having sold his company found some peace, and deciding what to do next. I'm going to take a leap here, and hope it has something to do with the Foster Care System in BC, helping young heroin addicts, searching for his Father, and the rest of his Mother's family.

As for Jenn, I do understand some of her insecurities, I know nothing is ever black & white. But I cannot ever, in my worst nightmare, imagine doing something like what she did. You just don't put the life of your child in the hands of mercenaries - period. Because your life wasn't cushy enough for you? I have less than zero sympathy. Of course then we wouldn't have had this great book! I hope to see a second one with more adventures with Tara, Clare & Bruce. Possibly a legit love interest for Clare?
This honest honest and unbiased review was given in exchange for a free copy of the e book.
Thank you & Happy Reading!
Brandie Lea
brandie.slicer@gmail.com

message 10: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Brandie, thank you for your review.

message 11: by Jake (new)

Jake Remington | 0 comments Brandie Lea wrote: "I really enjoyed this novel and hope to see a 2nd where Bruce finds out who his Father his, (with Tara's help), and where and how he moves on with his life. Some of the sex scenes were quite steamy..."

Thank you for the thoughtful review Brandie - that's awesome!

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 64 comments Read my 4-star review of Wretched by Jake Remington
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Brittany wrote: "Read my 4-star review of Wretched by Jake Remington
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Thank you for your review.

message 14: by Jake (new)

Jake Remington | 0 comments Thank you so much for your review Brittany - it means a lot to us indie authors.