Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)
This topic is about Prince of Fools
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Prince of Fools [Feb 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 17, 2017 03:20PM) (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7422 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence starting February 1, 2018.
Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1) by Mark Lawrence

Here's a link to a BR the group did for this book in 2017:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Hmm I haven't read Mark Lawrence but I've hear a lot about his books especially his prince of thorns series with Alex I mean Jorg so I might join this one....if you guys could answer one question?

Do I need to read the thorns trilogy(forgot the name) to read this?? I know I can just search it up but I'm too lazy for that right now 😂😂😂😂

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Spot...

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ahdam wrote: "Hmm I haven't read Mark Lawrence but I've hear a lot about his books especially his prince of thorns series with Alex I mean Jorg so I might join this one....if you guys could answer one question?
..."

No you don't have to read the other series to get this one. They're different story lines in the same world, Jorg makes a cameo though. This book was one of the funniest books that I've ever read, so i hope that you guys enjoy it!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Never heard of this book or this author, but in

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Never heard of this book or this author, but in"

I actually follow him on here now after reading this book and I'm glad that I do. He's gives great reviews on all of his reads and he hits all genres even if the book is obscure. I'm definitely a fan now!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Chris wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Never heard of this book or this author, but in"

I actually follow him on here now after reading this book and I'm glad that I do. He's gives great reviews on all of his..."

Hmmm.... so you're saying that me reading this book will lead to me stalking another author, a la Sanderson? Yeah, sounds right up my alley. Can't wait :-)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments This is a great book in a mediocre trilogy. Enjoy!

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Chris wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Never heard of this book or this author, but in"

I actually follow him on here now after reading this book and I'm glad that I do. He's gives great reviews..."

This is why I have him followed on my feed:

"Hey Mark, can you write a two sentence horror story?"

"An author was asked to write a story, for free. FOR FREE!!"

Is funny messages like that one that make my day!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Chris wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Chris wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Never heard of this book or this author, but in"

I actually follow him on here now after reading this book and I'm glad that I d..."

Lol, ok, you won me over. I'll follow him on goodreads.

message 11: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4270 comments @Diana...please do....he is....
To murder Wodehouse: he is the tree on which the fruit of my SFF love hangs + he's also a pretty decent human being!

message 12: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4270 comments Oh and in.
Now where is Mr X?

message 13: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4270 comments Mayim wrote: "This is a great book in a mediocre trilogy. Enjoy!"

Soap. Mouth. Now!
;-)
Cuz my love of Lawrence is blind, I tell ya...
Actually @all...Mayim has a point. Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy runs rings arnd this one and I'd rather have you all read that one first xcuz there is a very mild crossover but nothing, I swear, that will affect your read of this series.

message 14: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Since Chris says it isn't necessary to have read the Jorg trilogy...I'm in!

message 15: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4270 comments Choko's here...wonderful!
Awesome, so it's Choko, Diana, Mr X and I?
@Chris are you gonna re-read with us? I hope you do.
And also +1 on the humour in BE. Dry and sometimes with a sting in the aftertaste...my fave kind.

message 16: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4270 comments Veronica wrote: "Since Chris says it isn't necessary to have read the Jorg trilogy...I'm in!"

Wow-some!

message 17: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I'm gonna be reading this because i like the concept.

Virginie | 5795 comments I liked the Broken Empire trilogy and I'm curious to see how Lawrence portrays a character who seems very different from Jorg so... I'm in!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Just started this one. Already like it.

message 20: by Virginie (last edited Jan 31, 2018 01:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments I started this one, thinking "just one or two chapters"... And I listened to 32% of the book. I really like it, and Tim Reynolds does a good job as a narrator.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm doing audio, too. I'm about 22% in. Am I supposed to hate the protagonist? Cuz I do. He's not only a womanizer, but he (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm doing audio, too. I'm about 22% in. Am I supposed to hate the protagonist? Cuz I do. He's not only a womanizer, but he [spoilers removed]"

I don't think you should be looking for some real redemption... And yes, he is an antihero...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm doing audio, too. I'm about 22% in. Am I supposed to hate the protagonist? Cuz I do. He's not only a womanizer, but he [spoilers removed]"

I don't think you should b..."

I'm not sure if no redemption arc is better or worse lol. Guess I'll just have to read and find out. ;-)

Virginie | 5795 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm doing audio, too. I'm about 22% in. Am I supposed to hate the protagonist? Cuz I do. He's not only a womanizer, but he [spoilers removed]"

I'd say yes, you are supposed to despise him. In comparaison to Jorg, Jalan is almost a decent person though. I like his constant sarcasm (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm doing audio, too. I'm about 22% in. Am I supposed to hate the protagonist? Cuz I do. He's not only a womanizer, but he [spoilers removed]"

I don't thin..."

It is a trilogy, so there is time:)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Just started too:) We are missing Zaara - I hope she hasn't forgotten about this read:):):)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Virginie wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm doing audio, too. I'm about 22% in. Am I supposed to hate the protagonist? Cuz I do. He's not only a womanizer, but he [spoilers removed]"

I'd say yes, you are suppo..."

I don't know Jorg. I haven't read the other series.

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments The Silent Sister freaks me the heck out! Just on Ch. 6... She (view spoiler)

Jalan is obviously a pain in the ass. He does seem somewhat more dissent compared to Jorg, whatever I remember from him... More of just a wastrel and a drunkard and all together a waste of space... I love the Red Queen though:) I am a sucker for strong female characters:)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Up to Ch. 7...

Am I the only one who imagines Snorri ver Snagason as Jason Momoa??? Mmmm, yeah!

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Ch. 11... (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

Am I the only one who imagines Snorri ver Snagason as Jason Momoa??? Mmmm, yeah!"

I picture him exactly how I pictured Logan from First Law. Large blonde Viking type. I can see Jason Momoa in the role.

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

Am I the only one who imagines Snorri ver Snagason as Jason Momoa??? Mmmm, yeah!"

I picture him exactly how I pictured Logan from First Law. Large blonde Viking type..."

I only thought of him more because they said he has dark black hair, almost blue...

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Up to Ch. 15... (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Ch 18... Things are not developing very fast, but it is interesting... I am enjoying it.

message 35: by Elinor (new) - added it

Elinor | 1548 comments Just started it ! Our "hero" has been interesting so far. This is my first Mark Lawrence, hope I like it !

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

I picture him exactly how I pictured Logan from First La..."

I just got to a part where they describe his dark beard. You're right. I might have missed that in the initial description.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 15... [spoilers removed]"

Yup. I just passed that part this morning.

message 38: by Elinor (new) - added it

Elinor | 1548 comments I found the real names (Africa, ...) thrown in with the fantasy names quite disturbing. And I'm really not keen on zombies. Other than that I'm quite enjoying it (currently in the middle of chapter 4).

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Elinor wrote: "I found the real names (Africa, ...) thrown in with the fantasy names quite disturbing. And I'm really not keen on zombies. Other than that I'm quite enjoying it (currently in the middle of chapter..."

Yeah, this is taking place in our Earth, but you don't know when exactly... The assumption is that is some time in the far future, despite it reading like the Medieval Times....

Glad you like it. I am actually kind of liking the main dude. Yes, he is a coward and a wastrel, but at least he is honest with himself about it. That is kind of refreshing:):):)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

I picture him exactly how I pictured Logan..."

Yeah.. Lately, when I think of a giant viking warrior type I always think of that Greenbay Packers player, Clay Matthews - the one with the golden locks and chiseled face:):):) He is not hard to imagine at all:):):)

Virginie | 5795 comments Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

I picture him e..."

I lived in Sweden for two years, and now imagine any viking type as my very tall (even by Swedish standards) neighbor (well, ex-neighbor now that I moved back to France).
Funny fact: even though he looks very scary, he's the gentlest person I've ever met.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

I picture him e..."

I had to google him. I can see him as a viking. I'll have to insert him into my mental images for future viking characters.

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Virginie wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

I..."

Ooo, he sounds awesome! I hope you get to keep in touch with him!

Virginie | 5795 comments Choko wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

Am I the only one who imagines Snorri ver Snagason as Jason Momoa??..."

Yes, I do. He sends me pictures of his kitten at least once a week and gushes about how cute he is hahaha.

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

I..."

He has been doing a bunch of commercials nowadays, even a guest spot on "pitch perfect 2" the movie:):):)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Virginie wrote: "Choko wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 7...

Am I the only one who imagines Snorri ver Snagason as..."

Ooooh, OK, I am in love by proxy:):):)

Virginie | 5795 comments Elinor wrote: "I found the real names (Africa, ...) thrown in with the fantasy names quite disturbing. And I'm really not keen on zombies. Other than that I'm quite enjoying it (currently in the middle of chapter..."

As Choko mentioned, it's taking place on our Earth. I don't know how far along you are in the book, but the characters pass by Chamonix and the Mont Blanc :)

message 48: by Choko (last edited Feb 01, 2018 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Up to CH. 23... (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Ch. 24... (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Just thought of something in Ch. 23... (view spoiler)

« previous 1