NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > NetGalley Profile - Have You Checked Yours Lately?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbywd) | 4 comments I just checked my NetGalley profile and some of the links on my profile are GONE. When I tried to add the links back to my "Other Places I Talk" list, I got an error message that says "To add this link, please connect using the Social Accounts section above." -- BUT THERE ISN'T THIS SECTION DISPLAYED.

Am I missing something?

Have you noticed this?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (thewrittenadventure) | 8 comments I tried to add my goodreads link on my profile yesterday (I don’t remember if it was there originally or not?) but I got the same error message as you! I figured I was just missing something 🤷🏻‍♀️

message 3: by Tyler (last edited Oct 17, 2017 03:05PM) (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) Just checked after seeing this and a few of my links are gone too! I tried adding them back and got the same error message! (also can't find any social accounts section)

o_o

I also noticed lately that when I got approved for a book I tried checking to see what my new feedback ratio was but it never lowered and the new approved book hasn't shown up (it's been..at least a week? I can't remember exactly) on my profile to affect the feedback ratio. Though when I turned in feedback for another book it showed...which means my feedback ratio looks better than it actually should lol.

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbywd) | 4 comments They might be in progress with making some page upgrades. I noticed that the website went offline yesterday around lunchtime. Thanks for responding; it reassures me that I'm not crazy!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Reid (chrikaru) | 6 comments Just checked mine and it is the same - Goodreads has disappeared and my blog is showing up as a broken link. I'm guessing it is some sort of glitch with a site update - will give it a few days to see if it is fixed, then try to update the links.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Camp (archaeologystacey) | 10 comments Yes, I also noticed that issue yesterday. Hopefully it gets fixed!

message 7: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) Abby wrote: "They might be in progress with making some page upgrades. I noticed that the website went offline yesterday around lunchtime. Thanks for responding; it reassures me that I'm not crazy!"

:) yeah. It seems like they are making changes to the website. I didn't know it went offline. It probably explains the book not showing up that I got approved for too (not complaining when it's helping my feeback ratio lol). Working on the website. :)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments I had this same problem too. When I tried to update my profile it no longer would accept my Goodreads profile link. It was never a problem before, but now it says to "Use the Social Accounts" section above - (which is NOT there)
Hope they get this issue sorted A.S.A.P.

message 9: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments Fictionophile wrote: "I had this same problem too. When I tried to update my profile it no longer would accept my Goodreads profile link. It was never a problem before, but now it says to "Use the Social Accounts" secti..."

Yes, same error here. The link for my blog seems to be working at least. I wonder what they are planning now.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 275 comments I noticed this as well. My main link is to my Goodreads page and it's disappeared and I can't re-add it.

I emailed support, so I'll wait to see what they say.

message 11: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbywd) | 4 comments Thanks for contacting support! We are curious on their response. :)

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 32 comments I seem to have 'lost' three completed reviews this morning (went from 114 to 111 with the resultant loss of feedback ratio). They're still listed on my feedback sent pages though... wonder what's up. I'm curious what support says also.

message 13: by A (new)

A Klue (fromthesouth) | 83 comments Thanks for posting this info. I just checked and my link to prove I'm a reviewer is no longer listed, as well...nor is there a way to re-list it.

message 14: by Laurie (last edited Oct 18, 2017 07:59AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 16 comments I just checked my profile and everything is still linked up and working. Maybe I'm just lucky at the moment . . .

My main link goes directly to my blog.

message 15: by Chelle - FlowerChildReads (last edited Oct 18, 2017 08:28AM) (new)

Chelle - FlowerChildReads (flowerchildreads) | 7 comments Thanks for bringing up this change, and pointing out the fact that the goodreads link has disappeared for some. This may be something that is affecting only those without blogs, consumer reviewers? Here’s how I worked around this, at least for now, based on everyone’s comments here. As suspected I got an error message when I simply tried to add the link back where I used to be. There is no social account section as mentioned. I added the link to my goodreads profile in the “company” section at the very top and it accepted it. It’s a crude work around as it doesn’t appear to be a true link, at least from my end. However, if you copy and paste the link to an open tab it will take you right there.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 447 comments I see what you all mean, my link to goodreads was also gone. For now I just added it at the end of my Bio section and it took it. Maybe they are working on something ?

message 17: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments It happened to me although I have my blog, my Amazon profiles, my Pinterest profile all working as usual. It is just my Goodreads profile that refuses to be added as a link.

Chelle - FlowerChildReads (flowerchildreads) | 7 comments Okay, goodness. Either it’s a glitch (which does happen), or a change. If it’s a pending change GR hasn’t done a stellar job communicating this to it’s members. Their CIO/CTO could use a little help lately.
Sorry, I’m exceptionally picky about user interface as it’s what my husband has done for over 30 years for the public sector. If it doesn’t work for regular folks, it doesn’t work. Also, communication in changes makes a big difference.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 447 comments CMDH wrote: "Okay, goodness. Either it’s a glitch (which does happen), or a change. If it’s a pending change GR hasn’t done a stellar job communicating this to it’s members. Their CIO/CTO could use a little hel..."

You must be really frustrated with NetGalley then, unless you weren't around for the changes they always have none to little communication with their users??? Frustrating to say the least

Chelle - FlowerChildReads (flowerchildreads) | 7 comments Dorie wrote: "CMDH wrote: "Okay, goodness. Either it’s a glitch (which does happen), or a change. If it’s a pending change GR hasn’t done a stellar job communicating this to it’s members. Their CIO/CTO could use..."

I’m very new compared to most people here, Dorie. Less than a year, but I was here for the overhaul with the up/down votes, and reviews being visible. Sometimes ‘frustrating’ is growing pains on both sides and changes are necessary. There are a lot of moving parts. But not communicating changes is really a peeve. It heads off so much and is really a time saver for your support folks who are going to end up answering questions anyway.
This group is a total life-line in so many ways! I’ve learned so much, avoided what was sure to be some pit falls early on, and get the benefit of ‘crowd sourced brainpower’!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 447 comments CMDH, I also feel that the entire situation could have been handled so much better. We never knew what was coming and then the changes weren't well described. There was so much unrest both here on our threads as well as on Facebook so that they finally got rid of the up/down votes. We already have a certain amount of pressure with keeping our approval ratio high, mine has been at 95% for quite a long time now but it took a lot of work and very selective choosing of books. Previous to these changes there were others, probably before you joined, where they changed our shelves and how we could move things around and got rid of printing the publisher along with the book on our shelves which was really useful in many ways.

I'm glad you enjoy this group, it is awesome and our moderators are the best. I'm not a "social media" person, Goodreads is the only place where I really get involved as I like the people and we help each other :) I'm on Instagram and Facebook basically because my friends and kids are but I only check it occasionally.

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 275 comments Well I didn't receive a response yet to my support email, but my GR link is back as my primary link. So either they fixed the bug or glitch or whatever, or they were able to re-add it based on my support email.

message 23: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments Melanie wrote: "Well I didn't receive a response yet to my support email, but my GR link is back as my primary link. So either they fixed the bug or glitch or whatever, or they were able to re-add it based on my s..."

Hi Melanie,
After reading your message I tried to add my Goodreads profile link again and IT WORKED!!!!!
I'm so glad! The problem seems to be fixed. Fingers crossed.

message 24: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) My sites that disappeared are back up. My feedback ratio still looks better than it should lol but the site links are back up :)

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie (bionerdannie) | 32 comments Stephanie wrote: "My sites that disappeared are back up. My feedback ratio still looks better than it should lol but the site links are back up :)"

Mine looks worse :/ I have 3 feedbacks missing still. Only affects my ratio by about 1.5 % so it's not maaaaajor. I sent a support email, so we'll see what happens. Anyone else have missing feedback? (I checked, they're all still there under 'feedback sent').

message 26: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbywd) | 4 comments Thanks, everyone, for the update. I checked my profile and magically my links have reappeared! And the error message is gone. They are likely testing and going to be making changes soon, so we'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 447 comments My goodreads link has been restored to the proper place on my NetGalley profile, so don't know why they were tinkering with that??

message 28: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 166 comments I received an answer from NetGalley support.
They stated:
Our development team was able to quickly fix the problem and restored any missing links in your profile. You will also be able to add new links, if you desire to do so. Thanks so much for your patience!

message 29: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments I'm glad they answered but the mystery remains. Their changes don't usually take this long to happen.

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 5 comments Perhaps the fiddling NetGalley are doing with profiles/links is to do with the new UK site coming next week.