Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Authors Spot > Ideas to get Aussie Readers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graham (new)

Graham Wilson | 36 comments I have 5 ebooks in a dark outback series set in the NT about a backpacker who meets a dangerous man and how her life becomes a nightmare.

They have had tens of thousands of downloads in the US but minimal Australian readers. So I am looking for ideas from keen mystery/suspense readers about how to boost series profile here, particularly based on how you discover new books to read.

I am happy to spend some money on advertising to get results in lifting on-line profile with key reader groups. Next year I plan to release Print versions into local bookshops for those reader will want a book to hold.

For those who want to check out the books the full series (as well as each book) is available free at this link - downloads welcome
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

So I would love to hear any good ideas from members of this group!!

Regards

Graham

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Johnson (chris-johnson) | 3 comments Great concept, Graham.

What have you tried for probably motion in Australia so far?

Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling | 47 comments I don’t think smashwords has s big profile here??

message 4: by Graham (new)

Graham Wilson | 36 comments Thanks Chris and Carol, no magic solutions from me but I try lots of things.
- I use Giveaways a lot and when these go to Australian readers I generally contact them a bit later and offer another book
- I also try and get secondary writers festivals (e.g. NT, Canberra) to let me do book launches and then get seek media coverage backed by putting things up on Facebook - this has been moderately successful mostly through community radio (ArtSound Canberra, Larrakia Radio Darwin, WOW FM Western Sydney though I have yet to crack any big media like SMH, ABC)
- I have built up contacts with Writing NSW and other Writing Groups in Oz - this got me a recent feature in a monthly author spotlight.
In summary these things work OK but it is a long slow grind to build a public profile which turns into new readers.