Black Coffee discussion

No One Is Coming to Save Us
This topic is about No One Is Coming to Save Us
2017 Group Reads > October '17: No One is Coming to Save Us

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (last edited Oct 16, 2017 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2426 comments Mod
Since I totally forgot it was my month to get nominations and we're already at the 16th of this month. I decided to pick a read for the group.

We will start reading this book Sunday, October 22nd. If anyone is interested, please feel free to join in.

message 2: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts No One Is Coming to Save Us -- Stephanie Powell Watts

The Great Gatsby brilliantly recast in the contemporary South: a powerful first novel about an extended African-American family and their colliding visions of the American Dream.

JJ Ferguson has returned home to Pinewood, North Carolina to build his dream home and to woo his high school sweetheart, Ava. But he finds that the people he once knew and loved have changed, just as he has. Ava is now married, and wants a baby more than anything. The decline of the town’s once-thriving furniture industry has made Ava’s husband Henry grow distant and frustrated. Ava’s mother Sylvia has put her own life on hold as she caters to and meddles with those around her, trying to fill the void left by her absent son. And Don, Sylvia’s undeserving but charming husband, just won’t stop hanging around.

JJ’s newfound wealth forces everyone to consider what more they want and deserve from life than what they already have—and how they might go about getting it. Can they shape their lives to align with their wishes rather than their realities? Or are they resigned to the rhythms of the particular lives they lead? No One Is Coming to Save Us is a revelatory debut from an insightful voice that combines a universally resonant story with an intimate glimpse into the hearts of one family.

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 708 comments 3 Stars. Ah.. let me know how it is. lol

message 4: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C'mon Lee!!! Really??? lol

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 708 comments 3 Stars for $13. lol No ma'am!

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 0 comments I'll join you, I just got from the library.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 708 comments Okay, maybe, because it's in my County's Library catalog. I requested. wheewww. lol

message 8: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yay Erin!! Yay Lee!! Lol

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sinclair | 18 comments I've put it on hold in my library, but I did notice the ratings. Not that I've ever disagreed with average ratings, not me, oh no, never, I always go along with what the rest of the crowd thinks. Yepper.

message 10: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lol @ Rachel

message 11: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

I picked this up this evening. I’ll start reading tomorrow.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 0 comments I'm starting it this weekend.

message 13: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 708 comments I'll start this weekend as well.

message 14: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

How is the reading going for you ladies?

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 708 comments Just reading air. lol

message 16: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

I’m in the worst reading slump ever. I’m gonna get through this book though....I hope. Lol

message 17: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ok. I'm at Chapter 14 (42% through)......mmmm.....LOL

Am I the only one still reading??? lol

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 0 comments I'm determined to finish this book, but life keeps getting in the way. I will finish it.

message 19: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee | 708 comments lol

Elissa Matthews | 32 comments I’m still reading but it’s going slow. Somehow the pace of the writing and all of the similes keep distracting me. I must say I am enjoying the characters though, they are pretty wonderfully well written.

message 21: by Elissa (last edited Nov 19, 2017 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elissa Matthews | 32 comments Ok, finally finished. As a reader, I have to say that it didn’t really grab me, somehow the wonderful characters never seemed to come together around a dramatic journey, it was more of a very long short story - a two act play. However, as a writer I really appreciated the intricacies and tiny nuances of the writing.

message 22: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

I'm 75% through, I still haven't found a single thing to care about. I'm hoping to finish tonight or tomorrow.

At this point I'm just wondering how the story is going to end. I do find myself thinking about the Great Gatsby while reading this. I know it's a play on that story, but maybe that's hurting me instead of helping. lol

message 23: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alright. I finished. That ending though.....grrrrr!!

Elissa, I see what you are saying. The characters are wonderful, I just wish they had a better story.

Lee, what's going on? Where are you? I'm glad I didn't purchase this book!! Lol

Erin, how's it going?