UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Amazon categories

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patsy (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:50AM) (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments I've released a collection of ghost/sixth sense stories which aren't particularly scary (It's called 'Slightly Spooky Stories 1' to reflect that). I selected apprppriate categories and keywords when I uploaded it (and have double checked these).

Amazon are now giving it a rating in the 'horror' section. Normally I'd be delighted to make a top 100 slot, but not this time. Anyone buying it expecting horror is likely to be disappointed and I feel that anyone who'd enjoy more gentle ghost type stories will be put off buying it.

Is there anything I can do?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I think readers can help with assigning catagories. Give us a link to the book, please.

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I felt the same about my three supernatural stories, Souls Disturbed. It's supernatural. It's not horror but Amazon, in its infinite wisdom, put it in that category. I don't think you can do anything other than make sure you include its true category in the product description or tagline.

message 4: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments This is the book, Patti. Slightly Spooky Stories I

If you can see a way of helping, please let us know what to do, so we can try it for Kath's books too.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Amazon's murky algorithms sort all this out. You can choose your own when you publish, but what readers buy and what they look at soon takes over from you might have chosen. If a bunch of readers of mainly horror decide to read your book then that is where it is going to go because that is where the most readers have come from and therefore most likely where the most readers will come from.

This is one thing it's probably best to leave up to Amazon because they are all about the sales. If your blurb makes it clear (as does the title) then you've done all that you can.

message 6: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments Thanks, Darren.

You're right that there probably isn't anything more I can do about it, so I may as well try not to worry.

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chapman (catherineechapman) | 140 comments Hi Patsy,

Are you aware that using certain keywords in Amazon can trigger being included in certain categories? Trying this may have some effect. Here's the info. on it from KDP for Mystery, Thrillers and Suspense on Amazon UK. There is another list for US, which may differ slightly:
http://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topi...

message 8: by Patsy (last edited Nov 15, 2017 08:10AM) (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments Ah, that may well be it. Thanks.

message 9: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 58 comments Hi Patsy,

Like you and Kath I write tales of the uncanny that don't fit neatly into Amazon's 'Horror' category, but which none the less end up lumped together with the blood-drenched gorefests that this genre seems to primarily consist of. They could do with an 'understated horror'/ghost stories category, or weird fiction, but unfortunately that's not an option. As Kath has suggested, the best way to get the nature of your content across to prospective readers is in the blurb. It's far from perfect, but the only means we have.

message 10: by Anna (last edited Nov 14, 2017 07:11AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1700 comments I sometimes feel the need to put in my blurb that it is a love story but not of the formulaic kind. Girl meets boy, they fall in love, they meet a problem(s), they overcome the problem(s), they live happily ever after - mine are not like that.

This thread is reminding me that I need to put 'non formulaic' on the .com site.

message 11: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments You're right that the blurb should enable us to give the reader an idea of what to expect (or not) from the book.

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave Does anyone sort there Kindle books into genre category's. If so do you sometimes put 1 book in more than 1 category. I've got over 2,000 kindle books and was thinking of putting the them in genre category's, but some books has the possibility of being in more than 1 genre.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm so over genre pigeon holing.

I do two now.

Fiction and non-fiction.

And I don't trust non-fiction anymore.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Pigeonholing is dividing books into ones that contain the word 'pigeon' and those that don't.

message 15: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Pigeonholing is a cruel blood sport no longer legal in most civilised countries.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Unlike potholing...

message 17: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Non-fiction is chuffing brilliant.

I now know far more about 17th century Poland than I did three years ago.