Catholic Thought discussion

The Confessions: Saint Augustine of Hippo (Ignatius Critical Editions)
This topic is about The Confessions
St. Augustine, The Confessions > Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kerstin | 1320 comments Mod
I am excited we are reading one of the perennial classics not just of Christianity but of Western Civilization as a group. The book had been up for nomination twice before.

I have divided the book to be read within six weeks. The first week we’ll read three chapters (book II is relatively short) and from then on we’ll do two books per week ending December 9th. I hope this pace will meet the happy medium and still allow for enough stimulating discussion.

You may find that your edition has the numbering done a little differently, but all in all the segments should be the same.

Week 1: 29 Oct–4 Nov: Books I – III
Week 2: 5 Nov–11 Nov: Books IV + V
Week 3: 12 Nov–18 Nov: Books VI + VII
Week 4: 19 Nov–25 Nov: Books VIII + IX
Week 5: 26 Nov–2 Dec: Books X + XI
Week 6: 3 Dec–9 Dec: Books XII + XIII

Manny (virmarl) | 3654 comments Mod
I'm excited about this read too. I read Confessions once before a number of years ago but I knew then it needed to be read again. I wouldn't say it's a difficult read. It takes time to absorb it. Now if I can only find where my copy is.

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments I read this one a few years ago. I found the philosophical chapters a bit heavy and uninspiring. With so many books on my TBR list, I am not quite ready for a re-read of this one. So, I will lurk, but not share in this reading. I hope you all enjoy it.

Irene wrote: "I read this one a few years ago. I found the philosophical chapters a bit heavy and uninspiring. With so many books on my TBR list, I am not quite ready for a re-read of this one. So, I will lurk, ..."

That's fine Irene. If you have any thoughts, please join in.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Thank you, I will.

Kenneth | 21 comments I tried to read this before but now I'm committing to read it.

Doreen Petersen | 438 comments I'm so happy to find I do have a copy of this one! So looking forward to the reading and discussion of this one.

message 8: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen (colleenisterrific) | 21 comments I may or may not be lurking as well for this read- I am due with our first baby November 13th so who knows how my schedule will go these next few weeks...

Congratulations Colleen! How exciting! I wish you and your family all the best.

We are expecting our first grandchild in April. So we are all smiles these days too :)

Colleen wrote: "I may or may not be lurking as well for this read- I am due with our first baby November 13th so who knows how my schedule will go these next few weeks..."

Oh my gosh Colleen, congratulations! I'll dedicate my rosary tonight for a healthy and beautiful baby, and for your health. God bless!

You posted as I was writing Kerstin congratulations to you too!

message 12: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen (colleenisterrific) | 21 comments Thank you both! We are very excited. Lots of babies being born around this time of year :)

message 13: by Virginia (new) - added it

Virginia Aguirre | 5 comments OK, so this is the first time I've ever joined a discussion group online. Here goes. Blessings,

Virginia wrote: "OK, so this is the first time I've ever joined a discussion group online. Here goes. Blessings,"

Make yourself comfortable Virginia. We are one in the Lord. Welcome!

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Congratulations Coleen. I pray that you are blessed with a healthy baby and that the delivery has no complications for you.

message 16: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen (colleenisterrific) | 21 comments Thanks Irene! I've been in a lot pain lately, so hoping she gets here soon :)

message 17: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill Comstock  | 1 comments Excited to participate in this group's reading of The Confessions. This will be my first time in an online reading group. I'm hoping the online discussion format will be clear once it begins.

Welcome Bill. Glad to have you with us! It all it takes is to read along and comment, either to the book itself or to someone's comments. It helps to get emails when others comment.

Kenneth | 21 comments This is also my first time participating.

Kenneth wrote: "This is also my first time participating."

Fantastic. So glad to have you Ken.

To all the newbies, there's an introduction thread, if you'd like to introduce yourself. It's the first thread under "General" topic. You should also scroll down the Discussion Board to familiarize yourself.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa | 182 comments Excited that I found my son's copy of The Confessions today. Wasn't sure which edition to read, but I trust him to have found a good one.

Looks like we're going to have a good quorum.

I'm not starting the discussion but I just wanted to say that after reading the first two chapters last night I was mesmerized with the writing. I did not remember it being so beautifully written.

Kenneth | 21 comments Which translation did you decide on? There’s a free kindle version by Edward Bouverie Pusey who’s not Catholic but he was so interested in the church fathers he was accused of being a secret Catholic.

Manny wrote: "I'm not starting the discussion but I just wanted to say that after reading the first two chapters last night I was mesmerized with the writing. I did not remember it being so beautifully written."

Isn't it? I can get wholly absorbed in it.

Kenneth wrote: "Which translation did you decide on? There’s a free kindle version by Edward Bouverie Pusey who’s not Catholic but he was so interested in the church fathers he was accused of being a secret Catholic."

I already owned the Philip Burton by Everyman Library. If it's free I may pick up the Kindle version as well.

message 27: by Manny (last edited Oct 24, 2017 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I "bought" the free Pusey translation on Kindle, but it's on the internet free as well, here:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/augco...

Kenneth | 21 comments The kindle one is frustrating because it’s not chaptered and the language is very... eloquent. I might use the Albert Outler version instead.

Doreen Petersen | 438 comments So excited waiting for the discussion on this one to begin.

Talea | 10 comments After searching our local bookstores with no luck and being on a budget I ordered the copy from Penguine Classics. I hope it will suffice. While not my first time being in a book discussion online it Is my first Catholic book and my first here at Goodreads. I am excited to begin!

Talea | 10 comments Colleen wrote: "I may or may not be lurking as well for this read- I am due with our first baby November 13th so who knows how my schedule will go these next few weeks..."

Congratulations!

Talea wrote: "After searching our local bookstores with no luck and being on a budget I ordered the copy from Penguine Classics. I hope it will suffice. While not my first time being in a book discussion online ..."

Welcome Talea. I'm so glad you joined us. I'm sure the Penguin will be fine. Who is the translator, by the way? You can also find it online free. I posted a link a few comments above.

Looks like we've got quite a few first timers! That's exciting. :)

Talea | 10 comments R.S. Pine-Coffin is the translator for the Penguin Classics version.

Talea wrote: "R.S. Pine-Coffin is the translator for the Penguin Classics version."

Thank you Talea.