Outlander on Starz S3 > E9 - The Doldrums

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments Air Date - November 12, 2017
Directed by - David Moore
Written by - Shannon Goss

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I just finished this episode and as usual think they did a great job! I loved Mr. Willoghby - so touching! I think the biggest difference between the book and the show where he is concerned, is that we are seeing him with the respect of modern people who understand there are great differences between cultures. We can respect that and they film it with a sensitivity and beauty. In the book, I think it was written to emphisize how people back then saw somebody different often with out respect, so he comes off as less than honorable. Did you notice that the music at the end credits was Jamacian? Loved it!

message 3: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments They have changed the intro to the credits to underline the shifts to the locale for the Voyager storyline.

Just makes me eager for NEXT Sunday!!

message 4: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherirnhealer) | 175 comments Diane, I agree, this episode was done very well and I also loved the Jamaican music at the end! The insertion of Mr Willoughby's story on the ship worked very well. His story with respect to the differences between cultures and predjudices that often infests people when they don't conform to the status quo ousts them from their own culture and his story is a perfect example of this. The show dldn't capture these nuances like Claire would have in the book.

message 5: by MichaelCollins (last edited Nov 13, 2017 01:17PM) (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Claire -- being Press Ganged in the finest tradtions of the Royal Navy lol

Another good episode -- liked Mr Willoughby's performance and of course the intrigue at the end regarding the Royal Navy ship.

message 6: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments I think that this new version of the main titles is my favorite yet. And Mr. Willoughby may be the first character who I really disliked in the books that the show made me love. There's such a whimsical and wise quality to Gary Young's portrayal of the character, and you really sympathize with him. I guess it makes sense that he and Claire connect so well when you think about the fact that China at the time was a much more modern and sophisticated society than Europe. Both of them are outsiders who see the society that they've been thrown into as very backward indeed, yet that society has branded THEM the heathens.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Another great episode with so many great moments. Mr. Willoughby was exceptional and laughed when he told Jamie about what would happen to the testicles if he continued to throw up (which Sam did verra believabIe). I get car and seasick so I can sympathize! Gorgeous scenery with J, C and the man in the moon, verra touching. I did miss J bringing out pics of Brianna and hope he does do that eventually. Finally they get a little quickie at least 😀 and tender moment afterwards. My favorite smile of Jamie as he seemed embarrassed when C said that in the 20th century, he would be the king of all men after what he said. That whole scene was so well acted. Want next episode but season is going too fast!

message 8: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments I'm so glad that they included Mr Willoughby's story in this ep. It was one of my favourite parts of the book.
And I like that they have toned down the sexual deviancy of this character. It wasn't really necessary to the plot.

message 9: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 34 comments PS. I agree with everyone re the new music - Bear McCreary is a genius!

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Miss Melly wrote: "I'm so glad that they included Mr Willoughby's story in this ep. It was one of my favourite parts of the book.
And I like that they have toned down the sexual deviancy of this character. It wasn't ..."

I really don't remember him having sexual deviancy just that he had a foot fetish and loved everything about women. I agree it is not too important to the plot until they get to Jamaica.

message 11: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (tribalrose) | 57 comments I too loved this episodes adaptation!

Does anyone recall in the book, when Claire introduces herself to Mr Pound (her trusty helper on the Plague ship)....
Doesn't she go by the name "Malcolm" instead of "Fraser" as in the episode?
Or it may be a deliberate change by the writers.

Definitely felt the chemistry between J & C return in this ep!
So beautifully done.

message 12: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Not sure -- miss ed the name change...anyone?

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I didn't notice the name in the episode but I think you are right about the book. That is why (view spoiler)

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay | 8 comments Yes, she introduced herself as Mrs Fraser which is different to the book. There is a whole name-related sub plot (view spoiler) that I was wondering whether they will include or whether they will miss it out like the whole smuggling-on-the-coast incident. I think they can't include all the sub plots as there are so main main plots to cover in not much screen time!

message 15: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (tribalrose) | 57 comments Thanks ladies... It will be interesting then, to see how the writers play that out.

I think your right about the sub-plots Kay.
There are ALOT of them! But overall (IMO), they have kept true to the book for the most part, thus far.

Four Episodes to go.... :(

message 16: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments They were talking about the name stuff in the podcast for episode 6 or 7. I think that they are simplifying it to avoid confusion among the non book readers. There are a few subplots that have been omitted or changed. I know that they aren't doing the (view spoiler) They've changed some things about a few different plot lines involving Mr. Willoughby, some of the stuff surrounding Jamie's identities, a bit of the stuff about the Ardsmuir men, by representing them in the form of Leslie and Hayes. I wonder how they will handle the omission of Duncan Iness going forward, though I have hoped for a long time that they will bring back Murtagh to fill the gap in the plot that will exist going forward.

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I didn't know they were changing the sub plot involving Willoughby and Campbell. I wonder how that will play out.

message 18: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (tribalrose) | 57 comments Yes the plot change with Murtagh will be an eagerly anticipated one!

I also wasn't aware of them omitting or altering the Willoughby/Campbell story line... That'll be a a shame, I did rather like that dramatic sequence of events!

message 19: by Sonya (new)

Sonya (shooten) | 26 comments I had a feeling they were going to drop that storyline when they made Archie Campbell a fortune teller instead of a Reverend.

message 20: by Kay (new)

Kay | 8 comments I was wondering whether Murtagh (view spoiler)

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth MacCabe | 48 comments Can't wait to see, hopefully, Murtagh again. Doesn't seem like J told C he was in prison with him and survived Colluden. In book, he didn't survive.

message 22: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Kay wrote: "I was wondering whether Murtagh [spoilers removed]"

Well, that's been my theory since way back in Season 2 when people started throwing around the idea of him not being killed off from the show. I'm just very excited to meet Jocasta regardless, as the actress who is playing her is brilliant.

message 23: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherirnhealer) | 175 comments Murtagh was a well loved character on the show, as much as I like him I liked Duncan Innes just as much and I am sorry he is being cut from the show. Too bad they changed Archie Campbell into a con man.

message 24: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Cheri wrote: "Murtagh was a well loved character on the show, as much as I like him I liked Duncan Innes just as much and I am sorry he is being cut from the show. Too bad they changed Archie Campbell into a con..."
Is it me or do Margaret and Archibald Campbell seem older in the show that they were written in the books? I had definitely pictured them as quite different, especially Margaret. If I remember right, in the book, she was born normal but suffers some sort of PTSD after losing the love of her life at Culloden as a young woman. In the show, her brother claims that she has been mentally ill since childhood.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I pictured them both differently also but not younger. I guess thinner and more frail looking. In the book I got the feeling she had PTSD yes but that it triggured something like schitzophrenia. Archibald seems more shady here in the series so I wouldn't put a lie past him. Only he can translate her visions? yeah that is shady.

message 26: by Silverblades (new)

Silverblades | 265 comments Based on her book backstory, Margaret should be a little younger than Jamie, having been in probably her late teens at the time of Culloden and I'm pretty sure she was older than her brother in the books.

message 27: by Beth_A (new)

Beth_A Warren | 77 comments I LOVE MARSALI!! And the actress playing her. Adult Fergus is filling the role well also and has retained the personality traits of young Fergus so it is a smooth transition.

message 28: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (tribalrose) | 57 comments I wonder why they decided on the Minister change for Archie Campbell? Margaret is certainly nothing like I imagined either.. I also thought of her as small/frail looking.
I agree with you Silverblades... surely Murtagh will be a replacement in that story line. It is odd that C hasn't asked J about his whereabouts.
I do love César Domboy the actor playing Fergus, he is fantastic! Although he looks quite young.. isn't he suppose to be almost 30? I vaguely recall J & C being concerned about the age difference between him & Marsali.

message 29: by Cheri (last edited Nov 19, 2017 07:24PM) (new)

Cheri (cherirnhealer) | 175 comments Did anyone notice that Jared Fraser's wig was not gray as his age should have suggested. He was at least 20 years older than Jamie and looked much younger.

message 30: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (tribalrose) | 57 comments Cheri wrote: "Did anyone notice that Jared Fraser's wig was not gray as his age should have suggested. He was at least 20 years older than Jamie and looked much younger."

I thought the same. To me, overall most of the TV characters haven't aged much. Steven Cree (older Ian Murray) has been aged nicely though.
But then again... it's TV! They have to keep the visual sex appeal, lol :D

message 31: by MichaelCollins (new)

MichaelCollins | 818 comments Overall a very good episode....Claire's talents nicely shown...

But she has to flee due that smarmy ingrate of a Captain.

Should be interesting going forward with Lord John being reintroduced.