Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Time to Vote for the November tag

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for November at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XYXV7K5

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

Some of you have earned the one time right to use 20 participation points as an award for completing one of our challenges. If you have that right, feel free to exercise it. You must have the 20 points saved in order to expend them.

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 10/23.

Note: If no one choice receives more than 50% of the vote, people who chose the least popular choice will be asked to recast their votes for one of the remaining two options.

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 424 comments Eh. Voted.

message 3: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Hmm. I’d be totally happy with each of these, with a very slight preference for two of them...

message 4: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 15, 2017 10:12AM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Sushicat wrote: "Hmm. I’d be totally happy with each of these, with a very slight preference for two of them..."

Me, too. Not sure if our slight preferences are the same or not. I'm guessing that one of my slight preferences is not going to win, though.

message 5: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I have a clear favorite and one I really don't want because I've read so many of the suggested books it makes it difficult to find something that gets me excited.

message 6: by Anita (last edited Oct 15, 2017 10:29AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments I'm sure everyone knows what I want, lol. Starts with a "d".

I would be very happy with African-American though. Movies? Well I hate movies, so probably wouldn't be my top choice, but I'm sure there's something there I could be happy with!

I actually thought this was one of the few months where I'd be happy no matter what!

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Anita wrote: "Movies? Well I hate movies, so probably wouldn't be my top choice, but I'm sure there's something there I could be happy with!..."

Movies is my third choice. I'd prefer either of the other two, but I'm sure I will have plenty on the tbr for any of them.

message 8: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Ack, already, I just got my society book from the library. I'd be fine with any of them but Anita's favorite is my third place choice :-).

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments Life is just too short for disturbing. I mean I'll check the list to see if anything on there appeals, before I make a voting decision. But it feels to be on instinct, that there's enough disturbing in reality out there. There are certain books I take off my TBR for that reason. People are raving about My Absolute Darling, but I hear it's hard to read. On the other hand, I totally loved All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, A five star read which made it into my top 10 for 2016 off the bat. I found it beautiful but Uncomfortable. If disturbing wins, you guys know I'm going to make a strong push for that book to be the one folks pick to read.

message 10: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Hehe. Disturbing would probably be my first choice, as well. :-)

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments Lists were interesting to look at and consider as usual. Voted.

message 12: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Anita wrote: "Movies? Well I hate movies, so probably wouldn't be my top choice, but I'm sure there's something there I could be happy with!..."

Movies is my third choice. I'd prefer either of the..."

Movies is my third choice as well.

message 13: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Voted

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments My first preference also starts with a d. ;-)

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Susie, I had no doubt!

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Nor did I doubt you! I fear we are going to be the minority though.

message 17: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5789 comments I have many already read books in each of these and some on my to read list, so I chose the one which I most want to read and it doesn't start with D.

message 18: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4985 comments Voted. I don't really care how it goes, though.

message 19: by Joni (new)

Joni | 613 comments Voted but I have something for each.

message 20: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Sushicat wrote: "Movies is my third choice as well."

Ah, I was curious! :-)

message 21: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Susie wrote: "Nor did I doubt you! I fear we are going to be the minority though."

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking was least likely to make it. Too bad, though.

message 22: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Susie wrote: "My first preference also starts with a d. ;-)"

I love my people

message 23: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Ha. Well, disturbing books are in my wheelhouse, but that's actually why I didn't vote for that tag. I already read a lot of disturbing work and I feel like branching out. Though granted, neither of the other options necessarily excludes disturbing...

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 690 comments I'm trying to choose books that are already on my TBR for other challenges, so I voted for the category that I know features one of them!

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments While it wasn't my ultimate vote, I actually found six books on the disturbing list, that I could choose from. Kind of interesting to check out the list and see that our perceptions may not be what we might have originally thought. I'm just going to make a guess, that my vote will be the winner. And I actually hope I'm right, doesn't everyone? But if I'm wrong, it better be disturbing that wins.

message 26: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Oct 17, 2017 12:24PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments Voted. I'm okay with any of them. Although, I did throw an extra vote at my choice which was the D. ;)

message 27: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments NO Ds!!

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Nicole D. wrote: "Susie wrote: "My first preference also starts with a d. ;-)"

I love my people"

We love you back!

message 29: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Yes, we do!

message 30: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Nicole R wrote: "NO Ds!!"

LOL!

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments There are books from my list on each of the choices. Decisions, decisions.

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments I voted .... though none of my scheduled F2F book-club reads in November fall into ANY of these tags ... S*I*G*H

message 33: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3812 comments Susie wrote: "Nor did I doubt you! I fear we are going to be the minority though."

I knew you guys would be on board with this tag! I voted for the "d" also!

message 34: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1197 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I voted .... though none of my scheduled F2F book-club reads in November fall into ANY of these tags ... S*I*G*H"
Take heart! If Disturbing wins, maybe one of the books will be badly written. I would count that...😁

message 35: by Karin (last edited Oct 17, 2017 05:00PM) (new)

Karin | 7016 comments I just saw them, and disturbing is NOT my cup of tea at all. I am not sure yet which I'm going to vote for and really wish there were links to them here as I can't remember how to find shelves randomly.

Okay, I voted based on ONE criteria--the shelf where I have a tbr book that is sitting in my bedroom and I'm going to be reading for a challenge. It may also be shelved disturbing--I have no idea--because I can use it for Halloween, although I won't because I want to finish it to post for November and haven't started it yet.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments OK. So I've threw a few votes at African-American, because I thought that gives a lot of lovely selections that I would enjoy. I'm not generally a fan of disturbing, and I've seen or read pretty much all of the movies books. There just wasn't one to pick. I just felt that I completely covered that genre. So much so, that maybe disturbing would be a better second choice. So then I just found out today, that Brokeback mountain is the book read for one of my reading groups in November. Which was funny, because it would be my movie Brooke, and I'm going to read it in November anyway. Now I'm not asking to change my vote, I'm happy the way things are, I just thought it was funny that I was so opposed to movies, and now I sort of hope it wins.

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Voted. I accidentally used my Litsy username JenP so hopefully that doesn’t throw you off Anita

And, Anita you hate movies? All movies???

message 38: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments But, you don’t have to WATCH the movie, just read the book....

message 39: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Karin, to search shelves go to

www.goodreads.com/shelf

Type the tag in the search box

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Jen,

Pretty much, lol. I haven't seen one I have liked in years. I finally gave up and stopped watching them.

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments Ok - so at the Library today I pick up a bunch of books and Brokeback Mountain came in. What? Its a slim little thing and its only 50 pages or so. Are you kidding me? They made a whole emotional movie out of this thing. Forget what I put out into the Universe. I still hope African American wins. I could read Brokeback mountain for the psychoanalytic book club in less than an hour. Autumn is short too. November is going to be a month to whip through a ton of books, I think. Its overdue at library catch up time....

message 42: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1197 comments Brokeback Mountain was originally part of the collection called Close Range. I read it last month, and all the stories were very good. I’ve really liked everything I’ve read by Annie Proulx.
And Autumn was sooooo good. Can’t wait to hear what you think!

message 43: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 491 comments Voted! Easy choice for me

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments Amy wrote: "Ok - so at the Library today I pick up a bunch of books and Brokeback Mountain came in. What? Its a slim little thing and its only 50 pages or so. Are you kidding me? They made a whole emotional mo..."

The movie The Shawshank Redemption is based on a Stephen King short story, too.....

message 45: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: ". Movies? Well I hate movies, so probably wouldn't be my top choice, but I'm sure the..."

There are a ton of good books on the Movies shelf.

I'm good with any of the choices since I have at least 3 books for each of the tags.

message 46: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 404 comments There are many books that have a disconnect between the book and the movie. My all time favorites include: I, Robot ( a gap like the Grand Canyon); The Green Mile originally was published as a serial story; I Am Legend deviates at several key places. For example, the woman and little boy aren't in the book and a cure is never found. Don't even get me started on the children's classic The Bridge to Terabithia. That movie killed imagination.
After the tags America and Society, I need to read something with a smaller scope. I chose disturbed for the November tag.

message 47: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments I voted. Haven't read much this month but just finished my 2nd for Society. I was surprised to realize it was time for a vote and I almost missed it! So I have voted and I have to apologize Anita but I had one more TBR in 3 pages than any of the other two tags so I went with that. However, I can find something to fit any of these tags.

message 48: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I voted, hoping I can participate this month

message 49: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Barbara wrote: "I voted. Haven't read much this month but just finished my 2nd for Society. I was surprised to realize it was time for a vote and I almost missed it! So I have voted and I have to apologize Anita b..."

Lol, no need for apologies! Glad you got to vote. I probably shouldn't even be expressing an opinion, but you know, the big D, I had to.