Urban Fantasy series' discussion

Unique Book Feature > Unique Book Feature Nominations!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JP (last edited Oct 15, 2017 05:56AM) (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 802 comments Mod
Hello All,

Every few weeks I will choose a different book (based on suggestions and reviews) and feature it here and on the group's bookshelf. This is NOT a Book of the Month, where the most popular wins. This is a place to discover and discuss books based on their unique merits, even if they are not that well known.

I'll be looking for books that stand out for some reason (ex. they are controversial, they are written by a brand new author that has stunned readers, they incited a very strong emotion from you, they address an issue or a creature that is rarely talked about, etc). I want to find books that are a little different, but still deserve the spotlight.

If you have any suggestions, please go ahead and message me or list them below.

Tell us what the book is and why you think readers should know about it (as this is an Urban Fantasy group, try to keep it somewhat close to that genre if you can)

**Authors please do not contact me about your own work. This is not the place for you to promote your books (there is a separate folder for that).

I look forward to seeing what you all can dig up!

Have fun!

message 2: by Niall (new)

Niall Teasdale | 1 comments Okay, this is not exactly Urban Fantasy... Well it is if you know the background, but taken at face value it's more sci-fi or maybe cyberpunk, but... Well, I found the books rather good thus far...

K.B. Spangler has written a freely available web comic and six books set in the same universe. The web comic (www.agirlandherfed.com) and the book 'Greek Key' are most obviously UF (ghosts, spies, conspiracies, modern setting), but there are also four books featuring Rachel Peng (starting with 'Digital Divide') which are more sci-fi-oriented (Rachel doesn't know about the ghosts).

You have humour, intrigue, political conspiracy, and sometimes powerful ghosts and a talking koala. And I don't think they're especially well known. Might be worth a look. K.B. Spangler is a Goodreads author, so all the details are on the site.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony | 200 comments I nominate Schooled in Magic by Christopher G. Nuttall. This series is also not Urban Fantasy but it's also not true Fantasy. It's a bit of a cross between the two. There are currently 13 books in the series with number 14 due out before the end of the year. The author says it'll go 20+ books and so far has produced 2 or more books in this series a year.

Emily is a teenage girl pulled from our world into a world of magic and mystery by a necromancer who intends to sacrifice her to the dark gods. Rescued in the nick of time by an enigmatic sorcerer, she discovers that she possesses magical powers and must go to Whitehall School to learn how to master them. There, she learns the locals believe that she is a "Child of Destiny," someone whose choices might save or damn their world ... a title that earns her both friends and enemies. A stranger in a very strange land, she may never fit into her new world.

Emily is a child from our world who grew up with modern technology (standardized alphabet, Arabic Numerals, Computers, Word Processors, Cars, Cell Phones, etc...) and ends up in a world that has none of it. One of the most interesting things about this series is to see both the good and bad that is caused by Emily as she introduces modern concepts, at least those she knows enough about to duplicate, into her new world.

message 4: by Angel (new)

Angel Ludwig (kayangel) | 32 comments Have we looked at Ann Bishop's The Others series? Ann is an amazing writer. The Others is a bit more alt history than UF, but it does have shapeshifters and precognition.