21st Century Literature discussion

The Library at Mount Char
This topic is about The Library at Mount Char
2017 Book Discussions > The Library at Mount Char: Part I: Chapters 3 & 6 (Oct 2017)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Please use this thread to discuss the remainder of Part I.

Versatility in language is a major facet of the narrative. Hawkins' shift between the internal and external dialogue is seamlessly integrated, not detracting from the plot; but it's his ability to juggle multiple modes of language (diverse linguistics, text, aural, spacial, etc.) that appears to standout.

Each Librarian has his/her own catalogue, and is also known for their unique language and how they utilize it to communicate. Considering what has transpired since the murder of Detective Miner, the ever-present brewing struggle between our characters revolving around power/loyalty, and power/to manipulate reality...Is the diversity in communication also playing the role of a conciliator between these characters?

Also, what do you make of the overall tone in Part I...Is it "Lord of the Flies-esque," does it resemble anything from Greek Mythology, or something else all together?

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2316 comments Not sure I completely understand what you mean by "multiple modes of language." I did not find the switch from internal to external dialogue to be particularly ingenuous nor do I think the "diversity in communication" played a conciliatory role among the characters. Charlotte was playing them all and knew how to keep the tensions among them right where she wanted them to be to get what she needed done. (My response is likely colored from having finished the book.)

Neither the Lord of the Flies nor Greek mythology crossed my mind when I read this book, or anything else. I gave credit to the author for being original and quite creative.

message 3: by Ami (last edited Oct 16, 2017 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments LindaJ^ wrote: "Not sure I completely understand what you mean by "multiple modes of language." I did not find the switch from internal to external dialogue to be particularly ingenuous nor do I think the "diversi..."

meaning, communication practices in terms of textual, aural, linguistic, spatial and visual resources. I read somewhere that the languages may have been used as a means to mediate the power over reality dynamic. It wasn't anything scholarly, just an opinion/insight comment. I was wondering if anybody else could see this. That's all.

message 4: by Ami (last edited Oct 18, 2017 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments The title for the chapter, About Half a Fuckton of Lying-Ass Lies, summarizes my thoughts for all of Part I. Lies, Lies, and more lies!

What comes to light by the end of Part I, rivals my thoughts about David's purple tutu...Things have transcended from ridiculous to ridonculous, enter phone call scene to the President of the United States. I can no longer take this plot line seriously. It was SO GOOD too, as we learned a little more about David and Father.

David/Father...Zeus/Cronus
The golden bull barbecue pit fueled for two days straight, the heat emitted from it scorching the hairs on Carolyn's arm who is standing ten feet away, and David enduring the heat locked inside...
Whenever she thought of Father's face, it was by the light of that fire. How rare it was to see him smile,
Carolyn reflects about Father at that moment. What went through your minds here? I believe, I felt a slight shiver for the first time. However, I was also reminded of the Zeus/Cronus relationship in Greek Mythology. Cronus, upon learning one of his children would overthrow him one day, ate and killed all but one of his children, the "one" child being Zeus. Zeus overthrows Cronus and avenges his siblings bringing them back to life, and Cronus is cast off to an island to rule over the departed souls of heroes. Now, this is not a direct comparison to Zeus/Cronus, for we still don't know enough about Father or the rest of the bunch. I too feel there is a mythology connection to this novel, considering a powerful father figure, squabbling pseudo-siblings, the scheming and lust for command exhibited by some, and everybody having supernatural powers and talents. The cruelty displayed amongst the siblings, or stemming from father, above all else, is very reminiscent of the myths about the Titans and the Gods.

Also, the bull itself is a symbol of Zeus in Greek Mythology.

Librarians Coming out of the Woodwork
When I started Chapter 3, I realized I had not met all of the Librarians in Chapters 1 & 2. Carolyn mentions Lisa's garage, leaving me completely baffled as to whom she was referring...And then came a slew of other names as well. So now, we have the full roster of Librarians by the end of Part I, and what a mötley crüe they are. The Primer posted in the background and resources thread came in handy, a nice little review of all of the Librarians.

Miscalculations?
So much pomp and circumstance (e.g. bank robbery, and money) to entice Steve into helping them find the reissak ayrial... couldn't Lisa have just touched his cheek and be done with it...Why rob the bank, why be seen? Of course, this too could be all a part of Carolyn's master plan...Ultimate destruction?

The Luckiest Chicken in the World
This was the best chapter in Part I! I was waiting for Marcus to fall over the bridge, while torturing the chicken in an attempt to feed the lions. I couldn't' have asked for a better ending for his character...Talk about poetic justice.

Edit: Oops, I almost forgot...
I didn't know what to make of him, at first, but I'm curious about what Homeland Security Officer Erwin Leffington is trying to dig up, and I like the twist he's adding to the plot. He's a cool cat...So far.
What do we think of the new addition to our novel, a Mr. Erwin Leffington?

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 30 comments Ami wrote: "The title for the chapter, About Half a Fuckton of Lying-Ass Lies, summarizes my thoughts for all of Part I. Lies, Lies, and more lies!

What comes to light by the end of Part I, rivals my thought..."

I was so disturbed when Father essentially burned David alive. It was such a cruel punishment for disobeying a rule in order to help someone. I can see now how David went from soft to psycho killer. I agree, Ami, that these relationships are very similar to the gods' relationships. Revenge plots, supernatural powers, extreme violence all within the "family" scream Greek Mythology.

I am also confused why Carolyn had to set up Steve as a cop killer just to break him out of jail, ask for the charges to be pardoned, and then have him perform another job to help her out. I'm thinking Carolyn needed an excuse to call the President and scare him into thinking Father is planning on causing some mass destruction soon. That's the only reason I can postulate right now.

"The Luckiest Chicken in the World" was my favorite chapter so far. I am so relieved that those lions were saved from Marcus and were able to tear him to pieces. Marcus deserved it. He is the most hated character in the book. Disgusting behavior!

I think Erwin knows more about the Librarians than he's letting on. He is naturally violent just like Father and David. I find it odd that he seems so well known that a movie was even made about him. But now he's working for Homeland Security? I think he's a suspicious character.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2316 comments Molly wrote: "I think Erwin knows more about the Librarians than he's letting on. He is naturally violent just like Father and David. I find it odd that he seems so well known that a movie was even made about him. But now he's working for Homeland Security? I think he's a suspicious character. "

Nope. Erwin is OK, as time will show.

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments 1. I like Erwin. He's sort of like a Bruce Willis character, isn't he? Tough, smart and no-bullshit. I feel like he's going to be great.

2. Now Carolyn... She is chock-full of the aforementioned stuff. Did anyone else notice that she must've been studying outside of her catalogue? Otherwise, how else would she have resurrected so many people? Grown back Steve's heart?

3. Who IS Steve?? Why can't he remember Carolyn? I was really bummed out when David took him off before Erwin could ask his question.

4. That's a great comparison to Greek mythology! Wouldn't have thought of that.

Reading on.

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 30 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "1. I like Erwin. He's sort of like a Bruce Willis character, isn't he? Tough, smart and no-bullshit. I feel like he's going to be great.

2. Now Carolyn... She is chock-full of the aforementioned s..."

Yes, I agree, Evelina. Erwin does remind me of a Bruce Willis action movie character. I was very suspicious of him at the beginning, but now I see that he's really just a no-bullshit hard-ass agent character.

message 9: by Ami (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "1. I like Erwin. He's sort of like a Bruce Willis character, isn't he? Tough, smart and no-bullshit. I feel like he's going to be great.

2. Now Carolyn... She is chock-full of the aforementioned s..."

Bruce Wilis/Erwin
Oh, this is great! Yes!

Carolyn
Yes, but when was that moment for you in Part I. I thought something fishy when we find Steve in jail...Alive and kicking, but I still wasn't sure. As for anybody else, does she mention it in Part I, I don't recall? Also, the heart in the fridge...That was Steve's?

Steve
Right? I was so aggravated by that exact scene, Evelina. LOL! Broken Record: Keep Reading!

message 10: by Beverly (last edited Oct 31, 2017 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beverly | 141 comments I have now finished Part 1

Here are my thoughts:

LindaJ
I agree with your comments in msg 2 regarding the switch between the internal & external communication. And definitely agree that Charlotte knows what she is doing and at this point seems to be "in control" of what she wants to do - whatever that is.

Ami
Thanks for the thoughts and references to Greek Methodology. I did not make this connection though I did think the Bull has some symbolic meaning.
I will admit that I had thoughts of Jesus and his 12 Apostles (Disciples) during this session. Which has me wondering does Father know which one will "betray" him? At times it seems to me that it would naturally be Carolyn because of her skill at languages.

Molly
I too was disturbed by Father's burning of David. And that scene definitely has me not liking Father and hoping he will get his due. But then I wonder if Father did this to "save" his Librarians - are there worse things out there (from others/whatever) if they do not follow the rules??
And was so glad the lions were able to turn the tables.

Other Thoughts
It is Carolyn that has me turning the pages.
And I do want to know what she is up to/what is her plan. But we know that Carolyn knows she needs to be careful what she thinks when so others cannot know her motives. So even we the reader do not know at this point. I do think this is clever of the author to keep that in character with who is really is.
The several places were humor are used are well placed and a good relief from the "horrors".
I too like Erwin- especially when he seems to know what his trigger points are and how to keep his sanity. And agree with others that he knows more than he is currently letting on.
Steve has his flaws and in our "normal" lives would be cautious of him but in the hands of Charlotte he is an innocent. I think in horror stories there always has to be an innocent and Steve seems to play this role here.

Back to reading!

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments I've already finished so I'll comment more in the other topics, but Erwin totally remains one of my favorite characters :D probably the only one I felt stayed truly in character throughout the whole book!

message 12: by Ami (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ami | 339 comments Beverly wrote: "I have now finished Part 1

Here are my thoughts:

LindaJ
I agree with your comments in msg 2 regarding the switch between the internal & external communication. And definitely agree that Charlotte..."

I will admit that I had thoughts of Jesus and his 12 Apostles (Disciples) during this session.
I believe parallels may be drawn between Greek Mythology and a plethora of other religions-I love your comparison of Jesus and his 12 Apostles to Father and his Librarians. It's hands down, spot on!

Which has me wondering does Father know which one will "betray" him?
I wish I would have made this connection to Jesus and his apostles while I was reading because then I too would have given more thought to Father at the time. It's really a great catch, Beverly.

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments Oh my! That IS a great catch!!