21st Century Literature discussion

2017 Book Discussions > The Library at Mount Char: Background & Resources (Oct 2017)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (last edited Oct 19, 2017 11:29AM) (new)

Ami | 339 comments
Let me first please welcome all of you, with the utmost excitement and appreciation, to the October Wildcard Group Read for The Library at Mount Char, by Scott Hawkins. I am looking forward to meeting and reading Hawkins' first novel with Brittany, Bethany, Molly, Robert, and any other surprise guests who decide to join in...Even if for a sentence or two, or three, Oh, just get in here already!

If you are undecided still, may I wet your palette with this...

A Literary Amuse Bouche
A few years ago I was chatting with a friend of mine, herself a librarian, about how librarians are often portrayed in popular culture as mousy, bookish nerds. Just once, she said, I’d like to see somebody do a book where all the librarians are homicidal nutjobs. ~Scott Hawkins
(taken from... The Homicidal Librarians of Mount Char: A Primer
Please read with caution, although, the author himself says its more or less spoiler free.)

If you're curious now, and don't have your book...

Immediate Access to Novel
Read it for "free" online HERE

Our Threads...
I will open the remaining threads on the 15th, but they will be organized as follows (tentatively):
A. Background & Resources
B. Preliminary Thoughts about the Novel Part I: pages 1-42 only
C. Part I: Chapters 3-6
D. Part II: Chapters 7-10*
E. Part II: Interlude IV- Epilogue & Final Thoughts
*EDIT: I added a second thread for Part II

Discussion Period
Will run from October 15-November 16.

Thank you ahead of time to Marc and Doug!

message 2: by Ami (last edited Oct 14, 2017 02:17PM) (new)

Ami | 339 comments A little about the author, Scott Hawkins:

Scott Hawkins works as a software engineer for Intel. He and his wife live in Atlanta, where they spend much of their time playing Olympic-caliber fetch with their large pack of foster dogs. The Library at Mount Char is his first novel*.

If that was not enough, here is a direct link to his website at Shawkins.net, giving you access to all of his social media, blogs, events and upcoming books.

Reviews, Praise & Other Gems...Please read with caution, as they are not spoiler free
The Best Sci-fi and Fantasy Novels for June The Washington Post

Science Fiction: Hidden Worlds WSJ

Decoding the Mysteries: An Interview with Scott Hawkins, Author of The Library on Mount Char, Huffington Post

I'm Scott Hawkins, author of... AMA: Reddit

References
*taken from Penguin Random House website

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments I've been keeping this on my Kindle for months, waiting for a chance to read it. I also want to ask how much stuff by Neil Gaiman you guys have read? Because so far it's very relevant. Thanks for the discussion and I hope you're also enjoying it!

message 4: by Ami (new)

Ami | 339 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "I've been keeping this on my Kindle for months, waiting for a chance to read it. I also want to ask how much stuff by Neil Gaiman you guys have read? Because so far it's very relevant. Thanks for t..."

I haven't read anything by Gaimon, I've heard there are similarities to his American Gods...Thoughts?

Glad you're reading this with us!

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 30 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "I've been keeping this on my Kindle for months, waiting for a chance to read it. I also want to ask how much stuff by Neil Gaiman you guys have read? Because so far it's very relevant. Thanks for t..."

Oh I would love to know the similarities to American Gods. I read American Gods a few years ago but struggled with it. I much prefer Good Omens over American Gods. I also love Neverwhere. I do notice that Hawkins's writing style reminds me of Gaiman.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 141 comments Thanks for the background information.

I am planning on reading this book, but it seems that this month I have not read any of the discussion books so now that I have finished Visitation and have started The Glass Room, I should be able to start The Library at Mount Char in a couple of days.

I too have had this book on my kindle unread for a while. (Sometimes with kindle books that get off my radar unless I get a nudge.)

message 7: by Ami (new)

Ami | 339 comments Beverly wrote: "Thanks for the background information.

I am planning on reading this book, but it seems that this month I have not read any of the discussion books so now that I have finished [book:Visitation|863..."

Hi Beverly!

Thank you for stopping by! I look forward to you joining the discussion, you've got plenty of time. Don't rush, enjoy your process... We're here for a while.

See you in the threads...

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 116 comments I wouldn't say American Gods. It certainly is the most famous of his work, but not necessarily. I also struggled with American Gods... It was just kind of bogged down and slow. Now that you mention it though, I do see similarities too.
It's The Ocean At The End Of The Lane that this reminded me of. That was an amazing book by Gaiman... That same primal secretiveness, scariness and suspense. Similar touches of mythology. Amazing!

message 9: by Ami (new)

Ami | 339 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "I wouldn't say American Gods. It certainly is the most famous of his work, but not necessarily. I also struggled with American Gods... It was just kind of bogged down and slow. Now that you mention..."

A-Ha...Got it! Putting TOatEotL on my list.

Similar touches of mythology.
Nice, maybe we can discuss this further once you finish Part I.

message 10: by Ami (last edited Nov 19, 2017 09:00PM) (new)

Ami | 339 comments Although these threads will remain open for further contributions from members, infinitely; the group discussion officially ends in two days. With this being said, I wanted to thank each and every one of you, to those who participated without the obligation of having voted for the novel, who helped me lead and better understand this genre bending beast of creativity...Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

I had a wonderful time engaging in discussion with each and every one of you. I hope to meet you again down another literary path of thoughts and musings, in the near future.

Till then....

message 11: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2632 comments Mod
And thank you, Ami, for the energy and enthusiasm you brought to the discussion! Sorry, I couldn't join (been consumed with a surprise b-day party for my wife, which took place just this weekend).

message 12: by Ami (last edited Nov 13, 2017 05:45AM) (new)

Ami | 339 comments Marc wrote: "And thank you, Ami, for the energy and enthusiasm you brought to the discussion! Sorry, I couldn't join (been consumed with a surprise b-day party for my wife, which took place just this weekend)."

Hey, Marc! Thanks for the opportunity, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Read it when you get a chance, it's a pretty cool book!

message 13: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2632 comments Mod
It sounds pretty unique!

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 141 comments Ami wrote: "Although these threads will remain open for further contributions from members infinitely, the group discussion officially ends in two days. With this being said, I wanted to thank each and every o..."

Ami -
Thanks for moderating this discussion.
So enjoyed this discussion that allowed me to see much more than I would have if I had read the book by myself.

message 15: by Ami (new)

Ami | 339 comments Beverly wrote: "Ami wrote: "Although these threads will remain open for further contributions from members infinitely, the group discussion officially ends in two days. With this being said, I wanted to thank each..."

Hey, thanks... it was my pleasure!