Retro Reads discussion

Group Reads > November Group Read

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1516 comments Mod
As I mentioned in the kindle thread, I have just discovered that I own An Important Family by Dorothy Eden. Since it is available at a discounted price on kindle at the moment, would anyone else be interested in doing a group read, starting around the 10th of November?

I'll mention now I won't be doing any group reads in December. I have a few titles that don't "fit the brief" for any group I belong to & I want to get them read. :)

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 155 comments That looks good. Library has dead tree copy :)

message 3: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 152 comments Yes, I would be interested. It remember my Mum reading some of Eden's books through her book club.

message 4: by Kavan (new)

Kavan | 85 comments You bet. I have that book on Kindle but I've never read it.

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Ok, I think this is enough interest for a buddy read.

10th of November suit everyone?

If anyone else wants to lead a discussion, let us know!

message 6: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 78 comments I'm going to try to join in this one, but am not sure I'll be able to accomplish it!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Very possibly. I used to love Dorothy Eden.

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1233 comments I will try to join in, I’ve found it on Scribd and requested a dead tree version from the library.

message 9: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1924 comments I'll see if i can find a copy. I remember reading her decades ago!

message 10: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 263 comments Me too. My favorite (which of course hasn't been reissued as an ebook) is Crow Hollow.

Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Very possibly. I used to love Dorothy Eden."

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments I haven’t read Crow Hollow. I’ll check I go that one. Thanks!

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Ok, definite interest! I'll enter it on the bookshelves now. :)

message 13: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 350 comments Looks a bit too creepy for me, so I'm out! Maybe I'll be in for the next read.

message 14: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

❇ Critterbee wrote: "Looks a bit too creepy for me, so I'm out! Maybe I'll be in for the next read."

I do have a few ideas for next year. I might start a thread soon so everyone can have their say. :)

message 15: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 78 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: I do have a few ideas for next year. I might start a thread soon so everyone can have their say..."

Oooh, color me interested!

message 16: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Oct 16, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

Moonlight Reader wrote: "Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: I do have a few ideas for next year. I might start a thread soon so everyone can have their say..."

Oooh, color me interested!"

Ha! It may be tomorrow. Yoga! half killed me this morning. Yoga I feel 100 years old. :D

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Love old good to me. I’ll join.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments I adore creepy!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments I loved Waiting for Willa. But I don’t recall much of it. Read it in college years. I do remember thinking it was highly enjoyable. Suspenseful and gothic.

message 20: by Debra (new)

Debra | 9 comments I love Dorothy Eden, but can't place this one - maybe it was published with different titles in different countries? My favourite book of hers is 'The Salamanca Drum'.

message 21: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "I love Dorothy Eden, but can't place this one - maybe it was published with different titles in different countries? My favourite book of hers is 'The Salamanca Drum'."

It looks to be the last title she published (1982, the year of her death) Both Goodreads & Wikipedia show this as the original title.