Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Jamie's 2017 Randomised Reading List

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book (last edited Dec 24, 2017 08:57AM) (new)

Book Wormy | 1985 comments Mod
Jamie's 2017 Randomised Reading List

✔ 1. Fingersmith Sarah Waters
✔ 2. Death Sentence Maurice Blanchot
3. I Thought of Daisy Edmund Wilson
✔ 4. The Manor Isaac Bashevis Singer (WL)
5. The Beautiful Mrs Seidenman Andrzej Szczypiorski

Swaps will cost 5 participation points
Points earned for requesting list 5

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments Assuming ILL works, I ought to have all 4 of these first titles in hand by mid-November, so I ought to be done with these by mid-December. :)

message 3: by Book (new)

Wow that is dedicated I don’t think I have read any of mine yet and I generate the lists ROFL

I really enjoyed Fingersmith hope you do as well.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments Finished Fingersmith, review posted (in the general 1001 Book Reviews folder).
I just checked out The Manor, by Singer, so I'll start that soon. I also requested I Thought of Daisy, but the book that turned up on the ILL shelf was a Birds of America nonfiction, that somehow got its catalog listing crossed with my book. Hmpf.

message 5: by Book (new)

Jamie wrote: "Finished Fingersmith, review posted (in the general 1001 Book Reviews folder).
I just checked out The Manor, by Singer, so I'll start that soon. I also requested I Thought of Daisy, but the book t..."

That's a weird mix up lol. New book added.

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments Hah! All the remaining books on my list are now on their way to my library branch through ILL, hopefully including I Thought of Daisy, which ought to have been here but metamorphosed into a birding book last time. I might just finish the rest of these 5 books after all this year. :)

message 7: by Book (new)

Jamie wrote: "Hah! All the remaining books on my list are now on their way to my library branch through ILL, hopefully including I Thought of Daisy, which ought to have been here but metamorphosed into a birding..."

I admire your dedication you are much better than me :)

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments Ha. I now have all but one of these books in hand. And, while The Manor is a bit long (The original English version is only half of the original novel, since it was split into 2 books for the English translation initially. The version I have checked out though is the whole novel in a new translation, so rather than ~400pgs, it is ~800pgs long.) the other 2 I have just added to my library stack are a lot shorter. I just need the Blanchot book to show up on the ILL holds shelf before the last week of the year, and I might actually 'finish' and check off all 5 of the books on this list before I start on the 2018 list. :)

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments I just picked up the Blanchot book from the library's ILL desk, so I ought to be done with all 5 of the books on my list here very soon. The Manor is long (~800pgs), but Death Sentence is a novella, and the other 2 are ~200pgs each.

message 10: by Book (new)

Wow how do you have so much free time? I am jealous.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments Book wrote: "Wow how do you have so much free time? I am jealous."

I'm a chronically unemployed person with a disability but so far no financial benefits, so reading keeps me busy and distracted from being frustrated at everything. It's such an effective, inexpensive form of therapy, really. I read, crochet, and take care of my 2 cats.

message 12: by Jamie (last edited Dec 23, 2017 04:17PM) (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments I finished The Manor, by Isaac Bashevis Singer, and posted the review. It was a good book, and the University of Wisconsin Press edition is rather nice, if anyone else is hoping to read this one soon in English.
(No need to add a new book to this list, since the year is so close to over, but a blue checkmark would be nice. :) )

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments Finished & reviewed the novella Death Sentence, by Maurice Blanchot.

message 14: by Book (new)

Jamie wrote: "Book wrote: "Wow how do you have so much free time? I am jealous."

I'm a chronically unemployed person with a disability but so far no financial benefits, so reading keeps me busy and distracted f..."

Sorry to hear that :(

Reading is a great tonic for life