Horror Aficionados discussion

Skeleton Crew
This topic is about Skeleton Crew
Buddy Reads > Stephen King Challenge #20- Skeleton Crew

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Latasha (last edited Oct 13, 2017 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Latasha (latasha513) | 10688 comments Mod
Continuing with our Stephen King challenge with Skeleton Crew. All the usual rules apply. read and have fun! coming up next we have:
IT
misery
the tommy knockers
the dark half.
we usually start these on the 13th of every month.

i'll start on this after i finish Sleeping Beauties.

message 3: by Badseedgirl (new) - added it

Badseedgirl | 534 comments I will be in as soon as I get my copy from library.

Terry | 4849 comments I enjoyed reading the introduction by Mr. King in this one. Fun to get a glimpse behind the scenes. I'll probably be on the slow road with this one as it's a busy month!

Yeah and it's a pretty big book.

Terry | 4849 comments Latasha wrote: "Yeah and it's a pretty big book."

Definitely!

message 7: by Badseedgirl (last edited Oct 15, 2017 02:14PM) (new) - added it

Badseedgirl | 534 comments Latasha wrote: "Yeah and it's a pretty big book."

I worry that by the time I get the book, I won't have time to join the buddy read. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

None of us has started it yet. I think you will have time.

Terry | 4849 comments Latasha wrote: "None of us has started it yet. I think you will have time."

Yeah, I've only read the introduction so far, lol. Going to be a slow go...

message 10: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 398 comments Latasha wrote: "Yeah and it's a pretty big book."

It's shorter than Sleeping Beauties!

I may skip this one as a challenge (marathon) in another group is ultra crazy right now...31 challenges in 31 days. (We're being given 2 months to do it, but still...31 books in 2 months is still a book every other day.)

Terry | 4849 comments Myst wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Yeah and it's a pretty big book."

I may skip this one as a challenge (marathon) in another group is ultra crazy right now...31 challenges in 3..."

Wow, thats a lot of books! That's almost half a year for me. Good luck!!

message 12: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 398 comments Terry wrote: "Myst wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Yeah and it's a pretty big book."

I may skip this one as a challenge (marathon) in another group is ultra crazy right now...31 ch..."

Currently 9/16 are complete and short stories and comics count, so I can bolster my numbers there.

The challenge is read books with titles starting with "halloween-y" words...the one word I can't find a book to fit is EVIL, nothing (available) on the tbr has E, V, I or L. I'm stuck with B's, S's, T's and K's.

Does it have to be the word evil or would devil count?
The devil and Tom Walker is a favorite of mine and it's a short story. If u can use that.

Terry | 4849 comments I've read the first two stories, and am now reading The Monkey. The second one, Here There Be Tygers, (view spoiler)
On The Mist, that's one of my favorites of King's. I like the movie, but enjoy the book version better (of course). (view spoiler)

Terry wrote: "I've read the first two stories, and am now reading The Monkey. The second one, Here There Be Tygers, [spoilers removed]
On The Mist, that's one of my favorites of King's. I like the movie, but enj..."

I remember reading The Mist and I liked it and The Monkey, it was good too. I still haven't started yet. it will be one day next week.

Terry | 4849 comments Latasha wrote: "Terry wrote: "I've read the first two stories, and am now reading The Monkey. The second one, Here There Be Tygers, [spoilers removed]
On The Mist, that's one of my favorites of King's. I like the ..."

I didn't realize this was a reread for you, Latasha.

Terry wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Terry wrote: "I've read the first two stories, and am now reading The Monkey. The second one, Here There Be Tygers, [spoilers removed]
On The Mist, that's one of my favorites of Kin..."

well, I know I read some of it when we read the mist but not all of it. I think I stopped on the story where the family is going to space? I have no idea which one that was but I'm pretty sure it was around the 40% mark.

Terry | 4849 comments Latasha wrote: "Terry wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Terry wrote: "I've read the first two stories, and am now reading The Monkey. The second one, Here There Be Tygers, [spoilers removed]
On The Mist, that's one of my fa..."

Makes sense. I ended up buying the standalone book of The Mist, so now I've got it in two places, lol.

Terry wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Terry wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Terry wrote: "I've read the first two stories, and am now reading The Monkey. The second one, Here There Be Tygers, [spoilers removed]
On The Mist, tha..."

oh! I should've done that too.

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3442 comments Well the library doesn't have this one, so sorry Latasha, I won't be joining in on this one. But thank you for inviting me. :)

Your welcome Marie.

message 22: by K (new)

K Thanks for the invite Latasha, I don’t have access to the Skeleton Crew right now. I have multiple copies of IT so I’ll definitely join in next time :)

Ok, your welcome.

Here there be Tygers- I agree with you completely Terry. When my niece was little and potty training, she would NOT go to the bathroom by herself cause she swore there was a tiger in my mom's bedroom which you were looking straight into when you sit to do your business. She doesn't talk about it anymore but she was afraid of that tiger for a long time.
I really like The Monkey, Mrs. Todd's shortcut, and The Raft. The Raft is featured in one of the creep shows and I think the monkey has it's own movie? But anyways, I'm currently on The Raft. The Jaunt is where I thought I stopped and I didn't listen to it this time either. someone let me know if it's worth going back for.

Terry | 4849 comments I've not made any more progress yet, so I'm still in The Monkey.
That's a funny story about your niece, something you'll have to remind her about, after she's grown up of course.

I wondered if The Monkey was in something I've watched before, but I can't think of what it might have been, so I don't know for sure. I remember The Raft from Creepshow, so I'm looking forward to getting to it.

She still remembers it. I don't have if she remembers the tiger or just being afraid overall. I'll have to ask her. She's 12 now.

Omg!!! Dylan Baker reads The Milkman stories and he is fantastic!!

How many is gonna read IT when we get there? I'll probably sit that one out as well as Misery.

Terry | 4849 comments I'm sitting out on IT as I just read it a couple of years ago and not ready for the reread. Was going to read Misery though.

message 30: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments when will you read IT

It should be Nov13 rachel. If everyone finishes Skeleton Crew by then. I'd say it will be a lil later than that.

message 32: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments ok great, that gives me time to get a copy

Oh yeah, you have time.

message 34: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 398 comments Latasha wrote: "Does it have to be the word evil or would devil count?
The devil and Tom Walker is a favorite of mine and it's a short story. If u can use that."

I found a kindle freebie that started with Vampire so EVIL is covered.

And I'm sitting out IT. I read it a few years ago so I don't need to re-read it just yet.

I'll try to fit Skeleton Crew in when people are on IT.

milkman # 1 & 2-
(view spoiler)

survivor Type
I thought it was ok, not my favorite.

Uncle Otto's Truck
I liked this one!! it wasn't scary or anything but still good. (view spoiler)

Gramma
OMG WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN A MOVIE YET?!!!??
this story was great and creepy..this would probably be my 2nd favorite of this book. The Mist being #1. Oh Terry I can't wait til you get to this one. (view spoiler)

Cody did a great review linking the stories to all of King's other works. check it out!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
inspired by the king in yellow, aye?

The Reach [“Do the Dead Sing?”]

I was a bit distracted while listening to this one but I really liked it.

Terry | 4849 comments Great comments, Latasha. I hope to make some progress on this over the weekend. I'm excited to get to a lot of these stories.

I think when you finish the one your currently reading, you should skip to Gramma. lol

Bad seed girl, are you still waiting & with us?

Terry | 4849 comments Latasha wrote: "I think when you finish the one your currently reading, you should skip to Gramma. lol"

Wow, that good?! I need to hurry and get to it!

I think so.

What!?!?? Matthew! Is it as good as the short story? Oh you must tell me the name of it plz!

I'm going to look right now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2481496/

I think they left something out

message 50: by Badseedgirl (new) - added it

Badseedgirl | 534 comments Latasha wrote: "Bad seed girl, are you still waiting & with us?"Unfortunately yes. I'm still #3 on the waiting list at the library. I may have to skip "It" and read this one instead. I don't know what I'm going to do yet😥

« previous 1