The Book Vipers discussion

Emma
This topic is about Emma
Classics Group Reads > Group Classics Read Nov / Dec 2017 - Emma - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.

Things to consider:

1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?

Patricia | 199 comments I love this book--not sure how many times I've read it. I have my favorite passages that I linger over, one of them being when Emma gets dressed down by Mr. Knightly over her Box-Hill behavior. Another when she finds out that she was being used by Mr. Churchill to attain his goals. And then when she realizes she's in love with Mr. Knightly and believes he's in love with Harriet. Oh, the lives she messes up with her scheming! But she does grow as she becomes "more acquainted with herself" and pledges to "leave her[self] less to regret" as she moves forward.

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 463 comments I love this book too and have also read it many times over the years. I actually like Emma, the character, too. I know she’s self opinionated but she is very young ( and who doesn’t think they know best when they’re twenty?) and she wants everyone around her to be happy. She acts unselfishly towards her father throughout the novel. The only time she behaves really badly is in her teasing / rude remarks to Miss Bates at the Box Hill picnic, but she is genuinely remorseful and tries to make amends.
I find the characters so well-drawn. Miss Bates of course with her ceaseless chatter is funny, as is Mrs Elton with her nouveau-riche snobbery and her determination never to play the piano again, despite claiming to love it -makes me smile just to think of it.
And the love story is -well, lovely. The way love creeps up on Emma and Mr Knightley and neither assume the other will return their feelings.
I think it might be favourite Jane Austen.

message 4: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Morris-jones | 1372 comments I echo these comments. So modern. Love it

Becky | 161 comments This was a good prompt for me to reread Emma. I love all of Jane Austen's books. All of her characters are wonderful, the stories are funny, moving and thoroughly modern.

I don't normally do quotes but this when Mr Elton is considering Miss Smith made me laugh...

"I wish her extremely well; and, no doubt, there are men who might not object to - Everybody has their level"

... For me that summed up Jane Austen's wit, cutting social commentry and modernity.

message 6: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 463 comments Yes Jane Austen writes conversation so well doesn’t she?