Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Different characters same author

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by مؤرخ (new)

مؤرخ (mu2rrikh) | 2 comments If a book originally written in Arabic (different characters) the English translation would have the author's name in Latin letters. Should I add an author and write the name of the author in both languages so I could combine them?

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I don't remember what the official consensus was on these types of issues, but I think it was to leave the authors as they are printed on the book and not to combine them. Then in the author bio field putting a link to the other in each one. Rivka or one of the others may remember better.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
That sounds about right.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Yes, that's what I do for authors in transliteration. For example: Temari Matsumoto / 松本 テマリ.

message 5: by Cait (last edited Aug 11, 2009 12:17PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments However: if you want to combine editions across author transliterations, you can do this:

1. Edit edition #1 to show the primary author name used by edition #2.
2. Combine the editions using the author name for edition #2.
3. Edit edition #1 to show the original primary author name.

The editions will remain combined, but each will show the correct author name for their language.

message 6: by مؤرخ (new)

مؤرخ (mu2rrikh) | 2 comments Thanks to all for your help.

message 7: by Mahyar (new)

Mahyar Mohammadi | 16 comments I think Caid's suggestion is the best thing. Enter the author's name in both languages. :)