Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > An avid reader wants to be of help to authors1

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Hello!
My name is Asya, and I am an avid reader of many genres. I like YA/NA books, all kinds of fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, steampunk, paranormal, historical fictions and women's fiction. Non-fiction in history and biology-medicine is also something I really like and read eagerly, I like diving into different worlds and lives, and I have written a bit myself, and then I realized that I write for the sheer like of writing :) But I would love to be of help to people who want to create their own worlds and gain experience as a beta reader. The only thing I cannot work with is overindulgence in sex scenes - I just find them boring most of the time. And I am not good with Christian books either.
Also, as a bonus, I can be a consultant for people who want to include references to Biology or, for instance, Russian/Ukrainian/Soviet realities - who knows!
And also, I would be especially glad to see a solid an interesting Native American, Aboriginal or cross-cultural, cross-racial romance (the races could be real, fantastical or alien), for I like the idea of two worlds colliding and finding common ground.
Hope to hear from you!
Asya

message 2: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 43 comments hiya,

would you like to review a fantasy children's book? I've just gone past the beta stage but the book is not yet out. It'll be released on the 16th of October. So maybe there's something you would spot that has been missed??

If interested, please drop me a line here and let me know if you prefer a pdf or mobi copy http://www.segilolasalami.co.uk/contact/

Thanks

message 3: by Saloni (new)

Saloni | 11 comments Anastasiia wrote: "Hello!
My name is Asya, and I am an avid reader of many genres. I like YA/NA books, all kinds of fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, steampunk, paranormal, historical fictions and women's fiction. Non-fic..."

Hi!

I'm currently writing a fantasy/adventure novel (I'm still not done with it though). Here's the blurb:
Fifteen-year-old Charlie Tower despises his life and has made up his mind to run away. In an attempt to escape from the life he is leading, he accompanies a mysterious woman, Neola, on what is meant to be a short trip. However, after witnessing Emma's brother, Hayden, being kidnapped, and almost running over Jo, Charlie is whisked into an adventure to a far-off island.

Join them as they face strange creatures, a failing monarchy and the scent of rebellion in the air.

Oh, and there's me—just a lonely narrator who'd like to tell my story.

You can DM through Goodreads or email me at salonisuhas@gmail.com if you're interested.

Cheers,

Saloni

message 4: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Segilola wrote: "hiya,

would you like to review a fantasy children's book? I've just gone past the beta stage but the book is not yet out. It'll be released on the 16th of October. So maybe there's something you w..."

Hello! I have already messaged you there :)

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Fromill (alex_fromill) | 5 comments Hi Asya! I will send you a personal message explaining my work in more details!

message 6: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments Hello, I messaged you a few days ago

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Schroeder | 2 comments I am looking for a beta reader to read the first book in my NA adventure/fantasy series. If you're interested, send me an email! mike_schroeder84@yahoo.com

message 8: by Grixit (new)

Grixit | 7 comments Hello. Mine is a traditional fantasy/litrpg. You can find it as https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/....

I hope you'll take a look.

message 9: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Elisa wrote: "Hello, I messaged you a few days ago"
Hello! I am sorry, but I have not seen a message from you in my inbox. May be it was not delivered?

message 10: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments I’ll send it again. Maybe it was a bad connection

message 11: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Elisa wrote: "I’ll send it again. Maybe it was a bad connection"
I have received it this time!

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy | 6 comments Anastasiia wrote: "Hello!
My name is Asya, and I am an avid reader of many genres. I like YA/NA books, all kinds of fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, steampunk, paranormal, historical fictions and women's fiction. Non-fic..."

Hello, I saw your post on Goodreads and thought I should write. I have one book published on Amazon and am looking for a beta readers on the first book of a trilogy.
I would be happy to give you glowing recommendations if you do a good job. I have a Ph.D. in Physiology and Biophysics here in the states but am semiretired. So bottom line is I am serious. The book is in the historical thriller category. It is about the illegitimate grandson of Alfred Nobel who is a chemist by training and an inventor to boot. Inherited all of his father's and much of his grandfather's wealth and like his grandfather who he idolizes, want to give back to society. The book starts by him saving FDR (a US president, just kidding but I saw you were from the UK) from an assassination attempt. The first book is set in 1938 and includes such notables as FDR, General Douglas MacArthur, J. Edger Hoover, Howard Huges, Sigmond Freud, Einstein, Fermi, Randolph Hearst, Farnsworth and other key players during this fascinating era. So single protagonists and one plot line very simple and easy to read. Caution some science involved - I couldn't help myself, but the good news is it is all about devices and inventions from the late '30s. If you are Interested I'll send you a shortened 31,000 first part of the 82,000 word book. Let me know if you are interested or if you know other reliable readers who might be.

Thanks,
Randy Numann, Ph.D.

message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon A. | 3 comments Hi, you can find mine here. Free download.

https://www.instafreebie.com/free/QDcj3

message 14: by Randy (new)

Randy | 6 comments Sorry Simon but that really isn't my genre, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help.
Randy

message 15: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Randy wrote: "Anastasiia wrote: "Hello!
My name is Asya, and I am an avid reader of many genres. I like YA/NA books, all kinds of fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, steampunk, paranormal, historical fictions and women..."

Hello! It seems that your books is interesting. I am okay with science, especially if it is right - I have a Masters in Genetics. And I am from Ukraine, not UK! (I know some of the historical figures you mentioned, but not everyone). I would be glad to read your book, but I am swamped just now. How about a little later.

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy | 6 comments Great do you want me to send you a truncated version to see if you are really interested. My son would love to talk to you he is a Political Science major and way into the situation in Ukraine. I hope you are doing well.
Randy P.S. I'm in Saint Louis

message 17: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Well, let's try! If your son is interested - he is welcome to ask questions :) I will send you my e-mail in the message

message 18: by Kadian (new)

Kadian Thomas (kadianthomas) | 2 comments Hi Asya, I'm looking for beta readers for a YA fantasy titled Lightning and Fire, it's complete at a little over 120k word. And it involves a saviour, some magic and a lot of fighting. If you think you would be interested you can message me or send an email at author@kadianthomas.com. Thanks.

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick East (nickeast) | 10 comments Hi Asya, if you're interested I have an ongoing project online. I'll give you a little bit of information.

Title: The Last Philosopher
Genre: Fantasy/Attempted Comedy
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/5036154...
Summary: Before there was everything there was apparently nothing. However, what if the difference between nothing and everything, was in the idea of how little one cared?
The oldest sorcerer in Empris has been having devastating nightmares, which may be heralding more than he's thinks. In a worst-case scenario it might even force him into taking action. So far, he has opted for insomnia, a tactic befitting the avoidance strategy of his magick school. Their unofficial motto being, "If there's a problem, someone else can fix it, or just ignore it until it goes away."
Still, with nothing and everything coming into a head-on collision avoidance may not be enough, but what if that is all one has to give.

Any feedback would be appreciated, also, thanks and sorry :P

message 20: by Rozsa (new)

Rozsa Gaston | 2 comments Hi Asya - I have a historical novel coming out in Jan. Would love a quick beta read to check for redundancies. Did I repeat myself in some places? Anne and Charles: Passion and Politics in Late Medieval France, The Story of Anne of Brittany's Marriage to Charles VIII. The book is similar to my last book on Anne of Brittany, Sense of Touch. Find me at rgaston@optonline.net if interested and I will send you the PDF. Sense of Touch by Rozsa Gaston Thank you!

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy | 6 comments Anastasiia wrote: "Well, let's try! If your son is interested - he is welcome to ask questions :) I will send you my e-mail in the message"

That would be great I just started using this site so cant find your email in the post. Mine is rnumann@gmail.com. Just email me and I'll send you the sample.
Thanks, Randy

message 22: by Quincey (new)

Quincey Burkhalter (QuinceyB) | 3 comments Anastasiia wrote: "Hello!

Hello Asya,

My name is Quincey and I have written a novel set in the 60's on a Navajo Indian reservation. I was hoping you might want to take a look at the first 15 chapters. This is the portion I am comfortable with having a Beta Reader on. There is some romance in it, but the main story is not focused on that.
I am looking for someone who can be honest about overall content as I feel that I tend to overwrite and that some areas may need rewriting or may need to be taken out completely to help move the story along. Write me back if you would like to start reading.

message 23: by Anastasiia (new)

Anastasiia Nesterenko | 8 comments Quincey wrote: "Anastasiia wrote: "Hello!
My name is Asya, and I am an avid reader of many genres. I like YA/NA books, all kinds of fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, steampunk, paranormal, historical fictions and women..."

Hello! I am actually pretty interested in books devoted to Native Americans. I would like to read it, but I am overloaded with work and requests at present. How about I get back to you a bit later?

message 24: by Quincey (new)

Quincey Burkhalter (QuinceyB) | 3 comments That would be fine. I understand

message 25: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Hall | 34 comments It looks like your plate is filling up fast. Would you be at all interested in beta reading my military SF/F book? It's 130k+. The book is titled Our Fate: The Warmaster’s Key. It’s Book One in a series currently under development. Here’s the gist of the book:

Cecelia, a mortal human of the Battle Fleet, fights for the safety and security of The 3rd Order. Countless dead litter the battlefield on both sides. Knee-deep in the rain, mud, and the blood, Cecelia encounters Warmaster Aldar, a god-like being who leads all armed forces of The Scorched Hand. Killing him can save her people and end a war that has ravaged the galactic slate for thousands of years.

Their epic battle is not only one of physical strength, but mental prowess. His attempts in probing her mind for her secrets are met only with disaster, shocking the immortal Warmaster. How can a mere mortal resist the power of a god? Cecelia proves herself to be a challenge unlike any the Warmaster has ever faced before.

During the struggle, Cecelia steals Aldar’s Override Signature Key, a valuable piece of technology with the power to alter the destiny of her crumbling empire and save her people from eternal destruction.

Unknown to Cecelia, however, she’s not the only one who has plans for The Warmaster’s Key.

A ruthless extremist, Kroeger, has his eyes set on revolution. He’s awaited an opportunity to bring down the tyrannical rule of The 3rd Order that has subjugated his race of paranormals for generations. He won’t allow anyone to stop him until his goal is achieved: Freedom for paranormals—whatever the cost.

A chance encounter or fate at work? Either way, Cecelia’s life changed forever the day she met Aldar. The attempts the Warmaster made to enter her mind unlocked a long-forgotten presence from the depths of Cecelia’s mind, who appears to her as a twelve-year-old version of herself and claims she is the manifestation of her subconsciousness. With enemies all around them, the pair must set aside their differences and work together if they’re to survive.

In war, the lines of allegiance often become obscured. The bonds of friends and family are tested. Sometimes, you can count on those closest to you to watch your back. Sometimes, you can’t. But, if you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?

She will decide Our Fate.

Thanks for your time. You can reach me either on here or at hallasinhallway@yahoo.ca

message 26: by MountainGuardian (new)

MountainGuardian | 8 comments Quincey wrote: "Anastasiia wrote: "Hello!

Hello Quincey,
Actually I have some knowledge/interest on Native American culture and I would be interested in checking out a few of your chapters.

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick East (nickeast) | 10 comments Hi Asya, if you're interested I wouldn't mind any feedback you're willing to give :)

Title: The Last Philosopher
Genre: Fantasy/Attempted Comedy
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/5036154...

Also, thanks and sorry :P

message 28: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Ellis | 8 comments Hi Asya! Thanks for your generous offer. I'd love to send you my husband's latest paranormal romance. My email address is sheri.ellis@dragonsightpublishing.com. This is his second book so just getting started. Much appreciated!
-Sheri Ellis

Here's the back cover copy:
Hidden in the Seattle underground, a clan of Vampires sells sex, power and information.
Kat just wants to be free to live her own life and find love. But the Vampire clan has other plans for her. When Kat loses her job, she starts a desperate search for a way to keep from being forced into sex work at the Clan brothel. She meets a mysterious coworker named Henry who uses the power of illusion to work as a spy for the Clan. As their love blossoms, they must find ways to defy the clan, explore who they truly are, and dare to trust their love against the Second Circle.

message 29: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Kozinski | 9 comments Hey, I have a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Ya Adult novel that I would like beta readers and reviews for. It's The Alistar's Hearts: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3.... You can message me at daniellesstories@gmail.com if you're interested.

message 30: by Randy (new)

Randy | 6 comments Chloe wrote: "Hey! I'm chloe and I was wondering if you would you be interesting in a YA fantasy, dealing mainly with the Fae and what it means to be a monster based on a loose retelling of rapunzel. It's 52k wo..."

Sorry Chloe but YA and fantasy are both outside of my comfort zone.

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Fuller | 16 comments Hi Asya,

Thank you so much for offering to read books! It really means a lot.
My name is Ellen and my book is called 'The Succession.' It is young adult, fantasy, historical, science fiction, and mystery.

My main character is Lee Paver, a fifteen-year-old boy attending St. Matthews boarding school. He and his roommate, Sabio, are forced to work together when they develop suspicions that St. Matthews is killing students based on a test in December. They try to figure out why the school wants to kill them and if they, or any of their friends, make the list of condemned kids. The reason they are being killed is a little controversial and I would really like to get some opinions on how to present the reveal of the mystery.

I have been editing it for a very long time but have only ever had one other person read it.

Please email me at ellenrfuller@gmail.com if you're interested!

message 32: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 126 comments Hi Asya,

I'm currently looking for beta readers for my unfinished manuscript. It's sitting at around 90k words (although I hope to chop that down) and it's a dystopian sci-fi story. Here's a rough, placeholder blurb:

"The world has reached new levels of mass overpopulation, and as the number of people continues to grow, the food supplies reach a critical low. When a corporation offers a solution to the epidemic, the world turns a blind eye to what it is they're really consuming, posing the question; what lengths will humanity go to to survive?"

It sounds very Solent Greenish, but I think (or hope) I have an original story. Anyhow, if you or anyone reading this happens to be interested, I'm not looking for a line or copy editor at this point. Right now I want to focus on getting a broader view and get the skeleton of the script solid with regards to character, plot, and pacing.

I'm also more than willing to beta swap or become someone's critique partner. Genres I enjoy are:

Children's
Crime
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery
Science Fiction
Thriller
Young adult

I'm not too keen on romance or erotica, so I don't feel like I could give an accurate critique if that's your genre.

Private message me if you're interested.

I hope to hear from you.

All the best,

Kirk

message 33: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Mgbuje (stephenmgbuje) | 38 comments Hi Asya,
I don't know if you are still accepting manuscripts. But I'd like you to have a look at my 75k YA romance.
Here's the blurb
The book description
After losing his wife to another man, Don vows never to have anything to do with women again. Then he meets Elaine, the girl with the innocent forget-me-not-black eyes who resurrects forbidden passions and feelings he once thought dead. But having been married for three years without knowing the meaning of love, he kept far, far away from her. However, after a couple of chanced meetings, he rides roughshod over doubts and takes her love.
While still basking in the euphoria of their love, tragedy strikes. Don suffers a fatal auto crash and emerges in a persistent vegetative state, but Elaine refuses to give up, believing he will come to someday.
But on a twist of fate, Kathy reappears and consents for the drip feed to be removed. A bitter rivalry ensues. The drip is removed, and Elaine, already on the brink, simply goes overboard.
Years later, Don makes a complete recovery, and commences a search for Elaine. But she was gone. He becomes bitter and commits to a life of passionless existence. But just a forth night ago, at the end of the year party, he meets a girl who reminds him of the girl he used to know. But Elaine is supposed to be dead years back or is she not?
Don found himself lost, lost at the labyrinth of its complexities.

message 34: by Trevor (last edited May 09, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

Trevor Morris | 67 comments Hi there, I have an 88k completed fantasy novel that may well be your cup of tea.

Saviour: the making of a superhero

He’s an artist who creates superheroes…
But does he have the courage to become one?

Tempted?
T

message 35: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Hi, I need Beta Reader to review first 6 chapters of a Family Saga/ Historical Fiction.