EPBOT Readers discussion

Book Challenges 2017 > Week 41 Check In

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 876 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Had another busy weekend going to a wedding, but still managed to get some reading done.

Seeing Red - this is for read harder's book by an author from central/south america, set in central/south america. Technically only a portion of the book took place in Chile, but I'm counting it since I found the book on a list specifically for this challenge prompt, curated by someone at book riot. It was good, if weird. It was presented as fiction, but the main character had the same name as the author, and it said it referenced her life. So I had no idea what parts were her story vs. fiction.

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body - I read this for Emma Watson's feminist book club. It was a fantastic read, but pretty difficult emotionally. The things the author had gone through, both as a child and just her experiences with being fat in America were heartbreaking.

Thief of Time - I needed something lighthearted after the previous book, so decided to go for some Pratchett. I love him, but there were so many books I didn't work through his whole catalogue when I was younger. So now I'm grabbing them as i find deals and in the library, and getting caught up.

Currently reading:

Broken Monsters - this is for read harder's book set within 100 miles of your hometown. It's a story of a pretty twisted serial killer who melds the victim's bodies with animal bodies, and the investigation. The last book I read by her had a supernatural time traveling aspect to the murder mystery, so that might come into play here. I'm not too far in it yet, but hopefully it's good.

How's everyone else doing?

Just wondering how other people pick their books for the various challenges also. Just recommendations from book groups? Reading reviews? Looking it up online? Searching for specific prompts?

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 13, 2017 07:24AM) (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

Since I just posted on Monday for the last check in, I don't have too much to add here. I'm still working on The Picture of Dorian Gray and am about 60% through it. It's not really what I was expecting at all, mostly because the only thing I know about Dorian Gray is that part about the picture and also what I've seen of the character on Penny Dreadful, which I assume meanders pretty far from the original text. I have only just now gotten to the part where he figured out what was happening to the picture--I didn't bank on over half of the book setting him up for his Fall. This is also the first thing that I've ever read by Oscar Wilde, and I think it was a great choice to read it right after my previous read as I've got a good sense about what was going on in England at the time as they moved from the rather straight-laced Victorian values into a new era. It's really interesting! Although I am getting a little bit tired of Wilde's quips. I realize they're super witty, but there's just so MANY of them!

I'm glad Sheri asked her question, because I'm in need of finding a book that takes place over a character's lifetime and could use suggestions (so that's one way I choose books!)--I chose many of my books based on Good Reads discussion forums and what others have read. Basically, I see some recommendations for the prompt, go and read the description and some of the reviews, maybe do some Googling on the book, and if it seems like I'd be interested in it, I choose it for the prompt. Dorian Gray was recommended for the character's lifetime prompt, but it clearly doesn't fit. I'm not sure what happened there! So, I'm bumping Oscar and Lucinda as my book with an eccentric character and putting this one in it's place. Other ways that I choose books are by taking books that I already really want to read and seeing where they'll fit the prompt. The MaddAddam Trilogy: Oryx and Crake; The Year of the Flood; MaddAddam fell into this category, as did A Journey of the Heart and A Hero's Tale, because I had read the first book in the series and wanted to read the rest. Occasionally, I add a book because I've seen the movie and want to go to the source material, which was how I chose Oscar and Lucinda, Fight Club, The Last Unicorn and The Neverending Story. Finally, I used to be an English teacher, and there were several university courses that I took in specific genres that I ended up loving, so I read more of those books now. For example, I took courses in Canadian Literature and Post-Colonial Fiction, so quite a few of my books this year have helped me revive my interest in those genres (e.g., The Dragon Can't Dance, The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America, The Illegal, Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood, The Lonely Hearts Hotel, Miss September)

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 876 comments Mod
Stephanie,

Yeah Dorian Gray wasn't really what I expected either. Prior to reading it my only real knowledge was from the League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Also not terribly accurate.

I do love Dorian in Penny Dreadful, though.

I know we've had discussions about Margarate Atwood before, but I used Blind Assassin for that prompt. I had a lot of mixed feelings about the book, but that's pretty normal for her, I think.

I don't really know anything about it, but I'm pretty sure The Curious Case of Benjamin Button also applies.

I feel like i've read others, but I'm having trouble thinking of them.

You could probably get away with Stardust by Gaiman, since Tristan's birth was mentioned in the beginning, and it sort of does an epilogue at the end. Even if the main gist of the book only covers a small segment of his life.

This one's kinda tricky since most books are more focused.

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:14AM) (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Hi Sheri,

thanks for the recommendation. I switched Dorian Gray to the eccentric character prompt (more for Lord Henry then Gray, actually!). I'm putting Stardust on my reading list because it sounds interesting, but I already have two Gaiman novels in this challenge, so I think I'll spread the reading love around a bit. I've already read the other two you suggested :-) I think I'm going to go with Midnight's Children, The Stone Diaries, or The Time Traveler's Wife for this one. They will all be re-reads for me, but I love all three of these books and wouldn't mind reading them again. Or, I could do a re-read of The Silmarillion--it takes places over 1000s of years and thy complete lives of many key characters are told in it!