Our Shared Shelf discussion

Pay it Forward! > Pay It Forward - Non-OSS Books!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Oct 12, 2017 10:22AM) (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hello, everybody! Ana here. :)

Inspired by the generosity of some fellow members lately, we decided to set a separate Pay It Forward thread for books that are not part of the OSS Official Reading List! :D

A few rules will help us keep this tidy and, after all, within OSS scope...

1) Books should have some sort of direct/indirect link to women/gender issues and/or feminism.
2) As always, kindly refrain from self-promotion of any kind whatsoever.
3) For safety sake, please keep addresses / personal details private!
4) No illegal ebooks, please!
5) For those of you with piles of books to swap/give away, it'd be a good idea to simply update your list if/when necessary.
6) Feel free to comment whether you'd like a particular book. Who knows, someone might have it!

Happy reading! :)

message 2: by Waepke (new)

Waepke | 41 comments Cool! Cool! Thanks for coming up with this idea.

I have to give away from Caitlin Moran the moranifesto.
So if someone is interested, just send me a message ;)

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Taylor | 13 comments I have a copy of Tamora Pierce's Lady Knight that I no longer need. It's hard back, with no dust jacket.

message 4: by Waepke (new)

Waepke | 41 comments I have a book from star wars to give away (only on german). Its called princess leia and is about her early days on alderaan. She is sixteen and is starting to explore the galaxy on her own. By doing this she faces some tough situations. Its a nice story for a chill out evening. If you're interested, just let me know.
Unfortunately its on german..

message 5: by Noina (last edited Sep 24, 2018 02:33AM) (new)

Noina (noisynoina) | 27 comments Edit: Already given away
Sex Object by Jessica Valenti
The Equality Illusion: The Truth About Women And Men Today by Kat Barnyard
Amy Poehler's Yes Please
Hannah Witton's Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex

Update 24.09.2018:
I have a copy of Purple Hibiscus by Adichie if anyone is interested ! PM me !

message 6: by Monical (new)

Monical | 12 comments I have a paperback copy of "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. Echos of "DaVinci Code" (but predates that by a lot) with really interesting female characters. Its an old favorite so hope someone else enjoys it as much as I do!

message 7: by Monical (new)

Monical | 12 comments I have a paperback copy of "How to Survive a Plague," about the AIDS epidemic in NYC and the start of Act Up. Proud to say there are a number of really inspiring women in this true story. Regret that I wasn't there!

message 8: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 42 comments Noina wrote: "Edit: Already given away
Sex Object by Jessica Valenti
The Equality Illusion: The Truth About Women And Men Today by Kat Barnyard
Amy Poehler's [book:Yes Please|20910..."

Few months late... do you still have Purple Hibiscus?

message 9: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hanakowski (rachaelhanakowski) | 51 comments Hi,

I have a new copy of Good and Mad if anyone would like to pay for postage I can send it! :)

message 10: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Emma wrote: "Hi! I have a copy of "You're in the Wrong Bathroom: and 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions about Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming People". I can't afford shipping at the moment (I'm a grad stude..."

By any chance, do you still have that book Emma?

message 11: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hanakowski (rachaelhanakowski) | 51 comments Hi OSS,

I would be so down for a book swap! If you would like to swap, please send me a message with info on what books you have on offer.

The books I have available are:

- Good and Mad by Rebecca Traister
Published: 2018. Condition: New

- You Always Change The Love of Your Life for Another Love of Your Life by Amalia Andrade
Published: 2018
Condition: New

- Breakout Biographies: Emma Watson by Tanya Dellaccio (Ironic, I know)

- Rookie Year Book Two - Anthology, Edited by Tavi Gevinson. Stories of empowerment by teenaged girls across the globe!
Published: 2013
Condition: Used, in excellent condition

message 12: by Elke (new)

Elke Birngruber  | 19 comments I would also like to exchange books but unfortunately I live in Germany. Send me a message.

message 13: by Notash (new)

Notash Batool (iamnotashbatool) | 53 comments Rachael wrote: "Hi OSS,

I would be so down for a book swap! If you would like to swap, please send me a message with info on what books you have on offer.

The books I have available are:

- Good and Mad by Rebe..."

can i get this pls... Breakout Biographies: Emma Watson by Tanya Dellaccio (Ironic, I know)

message 14: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hanakowski (rachaelhanakowski) | 51 comments Elke wrote: "I would also like to exchange books but unfortunately I live in Germany. Send me a message."

I would be happy to send it to you but I would need the shipping $ as I am low on income at the moment.

message 15: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Hanakowski (rachaelhanakowski) | 51 comments I have the following to give away - I would be happy to ship anywhere via Canada Post if you can provide the necessary money for shipping as I am unable to pay for that, unfortunately.

- Paths to Happiness: 50 ways to add joy to your everyday life by Edward Hoffman, Ph.D, (2016)

- Breakout Biographies: Emma Watson by Tanya Dellaccio, (2018)

- You Always Change The Love of your Life (for another Love you. or another life) by Amalia Andrade (2018)

- Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women’s Anger by Rebecca Traister (2018)

- Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on love and life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

- The Real Story: Police in Canada by John Sewell (2010)

Please message me if interested!

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments Rachael wrote: "I have the following to give away - I would be happy to ship anywhere via Canada Post if you can provide the necessary money for shipping as I am unable to pay for that, unfortunately.

- Paths to..."

I don't know if you've already done this, but if you haven't, I suggest posting that you have a copy of Good and Mad you're willing to give away in the November/December pay it forward thread, as that was one of the reads for that period.
>>> https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Emma wrote: "MeerderWörter wrote: "By any chance, do you still have that book Emma?"

I should have it at my parents' home, still (unless my mom went and cleaned out my room to make it into a guest room). Are y..."

Yes, I'd be very interested in that!

message 18: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 42 comments I’ll take good and mad!!

message 19: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Emma wrote: "MeerderWörter wrote: "Yes, I'd be very interested in that!"

Sure, I'll look next time I go visit my parents!"

Thank you very much!

message 20: by Noina (new)

Noina (noisynoina) | 27 comments I have Pride by Ibi Zoboi to give away and L'art de la vulve, une obscénité ? by Rokudenashiko (this one's in French).

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill | 1 comments Is Pride still available?

message 22: by Anne Elisabeth (new)

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 87 comments I have a copy of "So Here I Am: Speeches by Great Women to Empower and Inspire" by Anna Russell and maybe a copy of "Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions" by Gloria Steinem.

Please message me if you want one :)

message 23: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Souren (angelinasouren) | 4 comments Hi Kate,
That is very generous of you!
I'd be very interested in Pandemic Solidarity. Been attending a bunch of webinars on the topic and I am in the UK. Do you still have the book? Also, please do let me know how I can return the favour.
Angelina