The Fairy Book Club discussion

OCT 17 - Fahrenheit 451 > Share your favourite line/s! - Fahrenheit 451

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie-Célia (new)

Marie-Célia | 28 comments Hi everyone! Here's the place for you to quote and share with us your favourite sentences from Fahrenheit 451. Happy reading! :)

message 2: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (cordeliareads) | 324 comments Mod
"Montag's hand closed like a mouth, crushed the book with wild devotion, with an insanity of mindlessness"

message 3: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) It's been a couple of years since I last read this book. So, I wend and checked out he popular quotes and there were so many brilliant ones it makes me want to read the book again.

For now I think I'll go with:

"It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away."

message 4: by Ninitha (Niko) (new)

Ninitha (Niko) | 40 comments Mod
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

This stuck a chord with me. I really do think that this is a huge problem. Social media is a Pandora's box and every 30 seconds, something new comes along that takes our attention away. When was the last time we did something about an issue that bothered up so much that we just couldn't stand and watch it happen?

message 5: by Cordelia (new)

Ninitha wrote: ""We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

This stuck a chord wit..."

YES! This was the exact quote I was searching for yesterday when MC put up this thread! Love it. Love it so much. It is so relevant today - we live in a world of acceptance which isn't always the right thing.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 8 comments "we can not tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over."
So true! Makes me think of another quote I heard recently ...
"So shines a good deed in a weary world"
You never know what a simple kindness will do. I may be the drop that makes someones heart run over or brings them back to life.

message 7: by Spencer (new)

Spencer | 16 comments “Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget...The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.” - Faber (p. 79)

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Kelley | 31 comments Ninitha wrote: ""We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

This stuck a chord wit..."

I just read that page. Loved it. It's so insanely relevant today.

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace Kelley | 31 comments "More sports for everyone, group spirit, fun, and you don't have to think, eh? Organize and organize and super organize super-super sports. More cartoons in books. More pictures. The mind drinks less and less."

This line rang true for me. I went to a school that had a very active sports programme and strong teams (blah blah, etc) but we didn't have a library.

message 10: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments Esto me hizo sentir mal :
Cuando me siento de esta manera, siempre me gusta conducir aprisa. Pones el coche a ciento cincuenta por hora y experimentas una sensación maravillosa. A veces, conduzco toda la noche , regreso al amanecer y tú ni te has enterado. Es divertido salir al campo. Se aplastan conejos. A veces, perros.

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace Kelley | 31 comments Do you know that books smell like nutmeg or some spice from a foreign land? I loved to smell them when I was a boy. Lord, there were a lot of lovely books once, before we let them go." (Faber)

And I proceeded to shove my nose into the book.

message 12: by Cordelia (new)

Grace wrote: "Do you know that books smell like nutmeg or some spice from a foreign land? I loved to smell them when I was a boy. Lord, there were a lot of lovely books once, before we let them go." (Faber)

And..."

love this

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace Kelley | 31 comments "My grandfather ran off the V-2 rocket film a dozen times and then hoped that someday our cities would open up more and let the green and the land and the wilderness in more, to remind people that we're allotted a little space on earth and that we survive in that wilderness that can take back what it has given, as easily as blowing its breath on us or sending the sea to tell us we are not so big. When we forget how close the wilderness is in the night, my grandpa said, someday it will come in and get us, for we will have forgotten how terrible and real it can be." (Granger)

message 14: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments Cuando ley que los libros huelen a nuez moscada yo también lo olí. Cuando cojo un libro de la biblioteca siempre lo huelo

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne Recine | 21 comments “That’s the good part about dying; when you’ve nothing to lose, you run any risk you want.” (Montag)

message 16: by Ravish (new)

Ravish T. Ram (ravishtram) | 3 comments Freedom is not free, you need to pay for it(The fictitious dream)

message 17: by Haykuhi (new)

Haykuhi (hakuarz) | 15 comments "Any man who can take a TV wall apart and put it back together again, and most men can nowadays, is happier than any man who tries to slide-rule, measure, and equate the universe, which just won't be measured or equated without making man feel bestial and lonely."

message 18: by Allisha (new)

Allisha (leeshee) | 40 comments Just started to read it. Had to wait until my husband finished it (an unofficial bookclub member and bookfairy bookdrop accomplice).

Anyway, the line that has been somewhat creepy for me was how that weird Hound was described.

"It was like a great bee come home from some field where the honey is full of poison wildness, of insanity and nightmare, its body crammed with the overrich nectar, and now it was sleeping the evil out of itself."

Shoot! What is up with that? Insanity and nightmare?! It's in my head and it's giving me the spooks.

My husband's line is: "Are you happy?", she said. - Clarisse

Happy Reading guys! I hope to devour this book over the weekend.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wilson (readingbucketeer) | 7 comments Loved that one @Spencer! But I liked thus one just as much...

"Stuff your eyes with wonder, he said, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."

message 20: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 48 comments Just the simplicity and bluntness of:

‘The books are to remind us of what asses and fools we are.’

Amen, Faber.

message 21: by Rowan (new)

Rowan Faraday (rowanfaraday) | 10 comments Kristina wrote: "Just the simplicity and bluntness of:

‘The books are to remind us of what asses and fools we are.’

Amen, Faber."

+1