What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Temple of the Sun
This topic is about The Temple of the Sun
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy: girl studies with druids of stonehenge. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 5 comments I read this book before 1983. I remember the book being new in the library, perhaps published in early 1980's.

The protagonist is definitely a girl. She becomes a student druid. It's like a school in that there are many students of different levels. They wear different colored cords with beads at their waists to indicate their level. The girl falls in love with a higher-level student or graduate. He resists but ultimately gives in. The story is centered around a Stonehenge-like location. It is pre-Roman Britain. Not Arthurian. The studies might involve some sort of astral location travel (not sure about this last item).

message 2: by Kris (last edited Oct 12, 2017 02:34PM) (new)

Kris | 33543 comments Mod
The Sacred Jewel by Nancy Faulkner? "Set in Britain in 30 A.D. against a background of druidic beliefs and customs, this is the story of a druid's daughter and her betrothed, a young bard training for the priesthood." It has different cover images including: https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g...

www.worldcat.org (advanced search) -- Keywords: druids trains | 1950-1985 | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

Karen, who are the girl's parents?

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 5 comments Kris, I don't recall any parents as part of the story. I recall that the male was older and perhaps already a priest. The girl is definitely a student. None of these book covers jog my memory. :-(

message 5: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 5 comments Acceptable Time was first published in 1989. I know I read the book before August of 1983. Also, none of the characters are from the present. All are native to very early Britain.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4896 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?

message 7: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 5 comments I don't remember the cover. I don't believe it was part of a series.

Upon careful thought, I believe I read it before August 1979. I still have the feeling that the book was new.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. | 219 comments Karen wrote: "I read this book before 1983. I remember the book being new in the library, perhaps published in early 1980's.

The protagonist is definitely a girl. She becomes a student druid. It's like a schoo..."

I would love to read this, hope you find it!

message 9: by Karen (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:24AM) (new) - added it

Karen | 5 comments The Temple of the Sun by Moyra Caldecott

My thanks to Kris for including the WorldCat search. I expanded it to Adult fiction and then eliminated all results that had a male protagonist.

I downloaded the Kindle version and this is definitely the book. Thank you to everyone who helped. The identity of this book has bugged me for a long time. And BONUS: It's part of a series! I never knew that! :-)

message 10: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5000 comments Hooray!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33543 comments Mod
Great! Glad we could help.

Thanks for sharing your search strategy, Karen.