Reading the 20th Century discussion

Book offers > NetGalley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 265 (265 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 8550 comments Mod
Spotted a potential good read at NetGalley that could be of interest to other Reading the 20th Century group members? Please share the good news here.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9066 comments Mod
That Old Black Magic That Old Black Magic by Cathi Unsworth is currently listed on NetGalley.

April 1943: four boys playing in Hagley Woods, Essex make a gruesome discovery. Inside an enormous elm tree, there is the body of a woman, her mouth stuffed with a length of cloth. As the case goes cold, mysterious graffiti starts going up across the Midlands: 'Who put Bella in the Wych Elm?'

To Ross Spooner, a police officer working undercover for spiritualist magazine Two Worlds, the messages hold a sinister meaning. He's been on the track of a German spy ring who have left a trail of black magic and mayhem across England, and this latest murder bears all the hallmarks of an ancient ritual.

At the same time, Spooner is investigating the case of Helen Duncan, a medium whose messages from the spirit world contain highly classified information. As the establishment joins ranks against Duncan, Spooner must face demons from his own past, uncover the spies hiding beneath the fabric of wartime society - and confront those who suspect that he, too, may not be all he seems ...

I have it on my TBR list and I think Nigeyb is actually reading it now?

message 3: by Susan (new)

I also requested this: Dear Mrs Bird by A.J. Pearce Dear Mrs Bird

London, 1940. Emmeline Lake and her best friend Bunty are trying to stay cheerful despite the Luftwaffe making life thoroughly annoying for everyone. Emmy dreams of becoming a Lady War Correspondent and when she spots a job advertisement in the newspaper she seizes her chance – but after a rather unfortunate misunderstanding, she finds herself typing letters for the formidable Henrietta Bird, the renowned agony aunt of Woman’s Friend magazine.

Mrs Bird is very clear: letters containing any form of Unpleasantness must go straight into the bin. Emmy finds herself dismissing problems from lovelorn, grief-stricken and morally conflicted readers in favour of those who fear their ankles are unsightly or have trouble untangling lengths of wool. But soon the thought of desperate women going unanswered becomes too much to bear and Emmy decides the only thing for it is to secretly write back . . .

Irresistibly funny and enormously moving, Dear Mrs Bird is a love letter to female friendship, Blitz spirit, the kindness of strangers and the art of letter-writing itself.

message 4: by Nigeyb (new)

Susan wrote: "I have That Old Black Magic on my TBR list and I think Nigeyb is actually reading it now? "

Correct. I'm nearly halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it. It's not published until March 2018 but, as Susan mentions, it can be requested as a review copy on NetGalley.

message 5: by Susan (new)

I noticed this on NetGalley today - 'Wish for it,' rather than a 'request,' button. Berlin 1936 Sixteen Days in August by Oliver Hilmes Berlin 1936: Sixteen Days in August

message 6: by Nigeyb (new)

Looks v interesting - thanks Susan

message 7: by Susan (new)

I think it is a re-release to be honest, but it is certainly an interesting topic.

message 8: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 25 comments Looks like the English-language release for early next year. I read it last year and thought it was terrific, five stars. Glad it's been translated.

message 10: by Susan (new)

We Need More Love Songs: Doo Wop the Duprees and Me We Need More Love Songs Doo Wop the Duprees and Me by Tommy Petillo is available for request on NetGalley.

Voice was the first wind instrument of man and a simple flute dates as far back as 67,000 years ago. The Greek and Roman God Apollo was said to be the father of all music with a lyre string instrument. Simple vibration and hand clapping dating back to the beginning of human culture eventually developed composition and performance of melodies for spiritual worship and entertainment, thus singing in Acapella harmony was born.

Also, although it doesn't really relate to our era, I am very excited by Places in the Darkness Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre

Chris Brookmyre is an excellent crime author and I am not adverse to some Sci-Fi, so the combination of the two sound irresistible.

Million-copy-selling Christopher Brookmyre takes his dark and thrilling fiction further than ever before - into the far reaches of space.

'This is as close to a city without crime as mankind has ever seen.'

There has never been a homicide on Ciudad de Cielo. It's the 'city in the sky', where hundreds of scientists and engineers live and work in Earth's orbit, building the colony ship that will one day take humanity to the stars.

When the mutilated body of a common criminal is found on CdC, the eyes of the world are watching - multiple governments and corporations have a stake in catching humanity's first spacebound killer. Top-of-the-class investigator Blake is sent to team up with CdC's Freeman - a jaded cop with no interest in working with a rookie from Earth. But the mismatched duo must learn to cooperate quickly, before they become the killer's next victims . . .

message 11: by Susan (new)

Fall Out: A Year of Political Mayhem Fall Out A Year of Political Mayhem by Tim Shipman is on NetGalley. Shipman's previous title, All Out War The Full Story of How Brexit Sank Britain's Political Class by Tim Shipman was hugely popular (although I didn't read that particular title), but I am wondering if I can possibly fit another book in...

message 12: by Nigeyb (new)

^ It's been bad enough living through it in real time. I've no desire to relive it again, even if it is a humorous take on, let's face it, the most inept bunch I can ever remember. Every day brings some new, astonishing gaffe, blunder or revelation.

#makeitstop

message 13: by Susan (new)

I read the book by Cameron's aid, which was interesting. I might re-live it, if I am feeling brave...

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1026 comments Nigeyb wrote: "^ It's been bad enough living through it in real time. I've no desire to relive it again, even if it is a humorous take on, let's face it, the most inept bunch I can ever remember. Every day brings..."

Here we say - Another day, another embarrassment!

message 15: by Susan (new)

Yes, I think both sides of the Pond have some issues at the moment, Jan. At least your embarrassment is abroad at the moment. Apparently, he will only visit the UK if he is assured of a warm welcome - so that will be never then ;)

message 16: by Nigeyb (new)

Gratified to read this earlier....

John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons, has stood by his opposition to Donald Trump giving an address in parliament. “An address to both houses of parliament is not an automatic right; it is an earned honour,” Bercow said at an event last night. “My view is that he has not earned that honour.”

message 17: by Susan (new)

Must admit that I have given in and downloaded Fall Out: A Year of Political Mayhem as I just find the political landscape unbelievable at the moment...

message 18: by Susan (new)

Seven Dead Seven Dead by J. Jefferson Farjeon

A favourite of Judy's, I know. A British Library Crime Classic, available through Poisoned Pen Press on NetGalley.

Ted Lyte, amateur thief, has chosen an isolated house by the coast for his first robbery. But Haven House is no ordinary country home. While hunting for silverware to steal, Ted stumbles upon a locked room containing seven dead bodies. Detective Inspector Kendall takes on the case with the help of passing yachtsman Thomas Hazeldean. The search for the house's absent owners brings Hazeldean across the Channel to Boulogne, where he finds more than one motive to stay and investigate.

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4271 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Seven Dead Seven Dead by J. Jefferson Farjeon

A favourite of Judy's, I know. A British Library Crime Classic, available through Poisoned Pen Press on NetGalley.

Ted Lyte, amateur th..."

Not me, Susan - I haven't read this one yet. I might have mentioned that I'd like to. though, and I think it has a great cover!

message 20: by Susan (new)

I think you like the author?

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4271 comments Mod
Ah, I see. I've only read one book by him so far, Mystery in White - I see I only gave it 3 stars, but I did enjoy it and would like to read more. :)

message 22: by Susan (new)

The Liberation The Liberation by Kate Furnivall

The Liberation is set in Italy in 1945 as British and American troops attempt to bring order to the devastated country and Italy’s population fights to survive. Caterina Lombardi is desperate – her father is dead, her mother has disappeared and her brother is being drawn towards danger. One morning, among the ruins of the bombed Naples streets, Caterina is forced to go to extreme lengths to protect her own life and in doing so forges a future in which she must clear her father's name. An Allied Army officer accuses him of treason and Caterina discovers a plot against her family. Who can she trust and who is the real enemy now? And will the secrets of the past be her downfall?

This epic novel is an unforgettably powerful story of love, loss and the long shadow of war.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Greatest Hits Greatest Hits by Laura Barnett

'Barnett has that rare talent, like Curtis Sittenfeld or Kate Atkinson, of building up the mundane aspects of everyday life until they acquire meaning' THE TIMES

'Barnett excels herself in this mesmerising ballad of a book...Greatest Hits is not just about music, it's about people: their ambitions, friendships and flaws. An absolute must read' STYLIST

If you could choose just sixteen moments to define your entire life, what would they be?
Cass Wheeler has seen it all - from the searing heights of success, to earth-shattering moments of despair. She has known passion, envy, pride, fear, and love. She has been a daughter, a mother, a singer, a lover.

A musician born in 1950, Cass is now taking one day to select the sixteen songs in her repertoire that have meant the most to her. And behind each song lies a story - from the day her mother abandoned her, to her passionate first love, to the moment she lost everything. The dreams, the failures, the second chances. But what made her disappear so suddenly from her public life?

message 24: by Susan (new)

The One Man The One Man by Andrew Gross

Auschwitz, 1944. Alfred Mendl's days are numbered. But he has little left to live for - his family were torn away from him, his life's work burned in front of his eyes - until a glimmer of hope arises as he watches a game of chess. To the guards Mendl is just another prisoner, but in fact he holds knowledge that only two people in the world possess. The other is working hard for the Nazi war machine.

Four thousand miles away, in Washington DC, intelligence lieutenant Nathan Blum decodes messages from occupied Poland. After the Nazis murdered his family, Nathan escaped the Krakow ghetto and is determined to support his new country - and the US government knows exactly how he can. They want to send Nathan on a mission to rescue one man from a place no one can break in to - or out of.

Even if Nathan does make it in and finds him, can they escape the most heavily guarded place on earth?

The One Man is a thrilling tale of heroism from master of the genre, Andrew Gross.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Nucleus Nucleus (Tom Wilde #2) by Rory Clements currently for request on NetGalley. Follow up to Corpus Corpus (Tom Wilde #1) by Rory Clements and, I think, even better than the first book.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Butterfly on a Wheel: The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust Butterfly on a Wheel The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust by Simon Wells is currently for request on NetGalley. I read it a while ago, but, apparently, this is an updated version. Pleased to say I have been approved and looking forward to re-reading this.

message 27: by Nigeyb (new)

Oooh - like the look of Butterfly on a Wheel: The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust - thanks Susan

message 28: by Susan (new)

I thought you might, Nigeyb ;)

message 29: by Nigeyb (new)

Thanks again Val. By the by, when it says Ebook does that mean Kindle?

I've had the problem before where the review copy is not available in Kindle format. I don't have any other eReading devices and I don't get on with trying to read on my phone or on non-Kindle tablet (iPad etc).

message 30: by Susan (new)

Good point, I have had a similar problem. No, it has a 'send to kindle' button. I don't think there will be too many requests, so you should be approved, I hope. If so, we can compare notes.

message 31: by Nigeyb (new)

Great - thanks for that Susan. I'm off to request now.

message 32: by Susan (last edited Feb 02, 2018 03:08AM) (new)

Came across this, which I thought looked interesting:

Conan Doyle for the Defense: The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World's Most Famous Detective Writer Conan Doyle for the Defense The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World's Most Famous Detective Writer by Margalit Fox

Just before Christmas 1908, Marion Gilchrist, a wealthy 82-year-old spinster, was found bludgeoned to death in her Glasgow home. A valuable diamond brooch was missing, and police soon fastened on a suspect - Oscar Slater, a Jewish immigrant who was rumoured to have a disreputable character. Slater had an alibi, but was nonetheless convicted and sentenced to death, later commuted to life imprisonment in the notorious Peterhead Prison.

Seventeen years later, a convict called William Gordon was released from Peterhead. Concealed in a false tooth was a message, addressed to the only man Slater thought could help him - Arthur Conan Doyle. Always a champion of the downtrodden, Conan Doyle turned his formidable talents to freeing Slater, deploying a forensic mind worthy of Sherlock Holmes.

Drawing from original sources including Oscar Slater's prison letters, this is Margalit Fox's vivid and compelling account of one of the greatest miscarriages of justice in Scottish history.

message 33: by Nigeyb (last edited Feb 02, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Susan wrote: "I noticed this on NetGalley today - 'Wish for it,' rather than a 'request,' button.

Berlin 1936: Sixteen Days in August"

The publisher sent me a non-Kindle e-book, so I explained that I could not read it and was sorry. After many weeks, I just received a hardcopy version of the book, so they must be very keen to get people reviewing it.

Annoyingly I had just started reading The Angry Years: A Literary Chronicle and was really loving it but will now have to put that on hold whilst I read Berlin 1936: Sixteen Days in August, and then another book that I got a thumbs up for Butterfly on a Wheel: The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust.

I have just reminded myself why I usually don't bother requesting review copies unless it's something I know I will love - Bernie Gunther or a new Slough House novel. Oh well.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Good to hear you got a version of Berlin 1936 you could read, Nigeyb. I hope you love both books, but I agree it is annoying when NetGalley suddenly approve a flurry of requests, or a publisher has a request for weeks and then approves just before publication! I wouldn't rush with the Butterfly on a Wheel book, as it's been out for a while.

message 35: by Nigeyb (new)

Susan wrote: "I wouldn't rush with the Butterfly on a Wheel: The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust, as it's been out for a while. "

I noticed that. Apparently it's been republished in an enhanced edition, whatever that means. I am surprised they are looking for people to review an old book but, I still feel, I should prioritise it as they've been kind enough to give me a free copy.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Yes. It is a good book, but probably still best to wait until you feel like reading it.

message 37: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1026 comments Susan wrote: "Good to hear you got a version of Berlin 1936 you could read, Nigeyb. I hope you love both books, but I agree it is annoying when NetGalley suddenly approve a flurry of requests, or a publisher has..."

It looks like Berlin 1936 was published in 2016. I just entered a giveaway for the book, to be republished next week.

message 38: by Nigeyb (new)

Jan C wrote: "It looks like Berlin 1936 was published in 2016. I just entered a giveaway for the book, to be republished next week. "

Good luck Jan - I hope you get a copy, It looks pretty good.

message 39: by Nigeyb (new)

I just got authorised for....

Conan Doyle for the Defence by Margalit Fox which is published in the UK on 28 Jun 2018 and which I think looks pretty interesting...

Arthur and George meets The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: how the creator of Sherlock Holmes overturned one of the great miscarriages of justice.

Just before Christmas 1908, Marion Gilchrist, a wealthy 82-year-old spinster, was found bludgeoned to death in her Glasgow home. A valuable diamond brooch was missing, and police soon fastened on a suspect - Oscar Slater, a Jewish immigrant who was rumoured to have a disreputable character. Slater had an alibi, but was nonetheless convicted and sentenced to death, later commuted to life imprisonment in the notorious Peterhead Prison.

Seventeen years later, a convict called William Gordon was released from Peterhead. Concealed in a false tooth was a message, addressed to the only man Slater thought could help him - Arthur Conan Doyle. Always a champion of the downtrodden, Conan Doyle turned his formidable talents to freeing Slater, deploying a forensic mind worthy of Sherlock Holmes.

Drawing from original sources including Oscar Slater's prison letters, this is Margalit Fox's vivid and compelling account of one of the greatest miscarriages of justice in Scottish history.

Conan Doyle for the Defence by Margalit Fox

message 40: by Susan (new)

Hurrah! I have that one to read too, Nigeyb :)

message 41: by Susan (new)

I just got approved for Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading Bookworm A Memoir of Childhood Reading by Lucy Mangan

Not in our period, but it might appeal to lots of us, so I thought I'd mention it.

message 42: by Nigeyb (new)

Susan wrote: "I just got approved for Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading

Sounds fab....

When Lucy Mangan was little, stories were everything. They opened up new worlds and cast light on all the complexities she encountered in this one.

She was whisked away to Narnia – and Kirrin Island – and Wonderland. She ventured down rabbit holes and womble burrows into midnight gardens and chocolate factories. She wandered the countryside with Milly-Molly-Mandy, and played by the tracks with the Railway Children. With Charlotte’s Web she discovered Death and with Judy Blume it was Boys. No wonder she only left the house for her weekly trip to the library or to spend her pocket money on amassing her own at home.

In Bookworm, Lucy revisits her childhood reading with wit, love and gratitude. She relives our best-beloved books, their extraordinary creators, and looks at the thousand subtle ways they shape our lives. She also disinters a few forgotten treasures to inspire the next generation of bookworms and set them on their way.

Lucy brings the favourite characters of our collective childhoods back to life – prompting endless re-readings, rediscoveries, and, inevitably, fierce debate – and brilliantly uses them to tell her own story, that of a born, and unrepentant, bookworm.

message 43: by Susan (new)

This Is What Happened This Is What Happened by Mick Herron has appeared on NetGalley for request.

Twenty-six-year-old Maggie Barnes is someone you would never look at twice. Living alone in a month-to-month sublet in London, with no family but an estranged sister, no boyfriend or partner, and not much in the way of friends, Maggie is just the kind of person who could vanish from the face of the earth without anyone taking notice.

Or just the kind of person MI5 needs to thwart an international plot that puts all of Britain at risk.

Now one young woman has the chance to be a hero - if she can think quickly enough to stay alive.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Just picked this up on NetGalley too, which I thought looks interesting:

After the Party After the Party by Cressida Connolly

'Had it not been for my weakness, someone who is now dead could still be alive. That is what I believed and consequently lived with every day in prison.'

It is the summer of 1938 and Phyllis Forrester has returned to England after years abroad. Moving into her sister's grand country house, she soon finds herself entangled in a new world of idealistic beliefs and seemingly innocent friendships. Fevered talk of another war infiltrates their small, privileged circle, giving way to a thrilling solution: a great and charismatic leader, who will restore England to its former glory.

At a party hosted by her new friends, Phyllis lets down her guard for a single moment, with devastating consequences. Years later, Phyllis, alone and embittered, recounts the dramatic events which led to her imprisonment and changed the course of her life forever.

Powerful, poignant, and exquisitely observed, After the Party is an illuminating portrait of a dark period of British history which we are yet to fully acknowledge.

Love the cover too :)

message 45: by Susan (new)

Our Friends in Berlin new Anthony Quinn novel has just appeared for request on NetGalley. I know there are some fans in the group :)

Description
London, 1941. The city is in blackout, besieged by nightly air raids from Germany. Two strangers are about to meet. Between them they may alter the course of the war.

While the Blitz has united the nation, there is an enemy hiding in plain sight. A group of British citizens is gathering secret information to aid Hitler’s war machine. Jack Hoste has become entangled in this treachery, but he also has a particular mission: to locate the most dangerous Nazi agent in the country.

Hoste soon receives a promising lead. Amy Strallen, who works in a Mayfair marriage bureau, was once close to this elusive figure. Her life is a world away from the machinations of Nazi sympathisers, yet when Hoste pays a visit to Amy’s office, everything changes in a heartbeat.

Breathtakingly tense and trip-wired with surprises, Our Friends in Berlin is inspired by true events. It is a story about deception and loyalty – and about people in love who watch each other as closely as spies.

message 46: by Nigeyb (new)

Susan wrote: "Our Friends in Berlin new Anthony Quinn novel has just appeared for request on NetGalley. I know there are some fans in the group :)"

Thanks Susan - I loved the Curtain Call/Freya/Eureka trilogy. Wonderful.

Needless to say I have requested a copy of Our Friends in Berlin.

Here's hoping.

I've yet to hear back about the new Mick Herron book. Anyone else heard anything?

message 47: by Susan (new)

No, haven't heard about that yet. I have so many review books to read though - the new Bernie Gunther novel is also on NetGalley, Nigeyb. Greeks Bearing Gifts

message 48: by Nigeyb (new)

Susan wrote: "....the new Bernie Gunther novel is also on NetGalley, Nigeyb. Greeks Bearing Gifts"

Thanks as always Susan. Just requested it.

message 49: by Susan (new)

I have my fingers crossed you are approved for both :)

message 50: by Susan (new)

I came across this on NetGalley - A Double Life A Double Life by Flynn Berry

It is about the Lord Lucan case, which we are reading about later in the year, with the Muriel Spark novel and non-fiction read, so I thought it might of interest.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6