Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
This topic is about Quest for Lost Heroes
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Quest for Lost Heroes [Apr 2018]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
April 20th

Lundos | 392 comments In.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments In but late.

Brian | 828 comments I’ll be late too. Still finishing Way of Kings (and loving it).

Lundos | 392 comments Starting today.

Lundos | 392 comments Duty or freedom? Gemmell starts off as he normally does.

We all know what Mel Gibson would have answered: "Freeeeeeeedooooooommme."

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I'm reading the synopsis - Nadir again? You'd better whip the theme up, old man.

message 8: by Lundos (last edited Apr 23, 2018 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lundos | 392 comments It's been almost two years for me, so I don't mind old men fighting Nadir in a just cause and doing what needs to be done.

Lundos | 392 comments The theme in this one seems to be cycles (of life, death, progress and society). I don't find it to be as good as I remember the other ones, but Gemmell still writes in a way that I tend to prefer over e.g. modern YA writers.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments OK, I am having more fun than before. In fact, I am enjoying the book very much.

message 11: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 3 stars

Starting

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I liked it much more than the previous. For me it's second best after the Legend. Still, Legend was way better.

Brian | 828 comments Starting today.

Shaitarn | 1862 comments I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm struggling to work out the world building in this one. And I would love to see a map of this world - does anyone know if one was ever produced?

Brian | 828 comments I’m really liking this one so far. Gemmell seems to stick to the same formula in the earlier novels but this one feels different. So far so good.

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Does anyone else think Finn and Maggrig are a couple? That's the assumption I'm making.

Lundos | 392 comments It's written in a way where you can defend that they aren't, but yes, I assumed the same.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Does anyone else think Finn and Maggrig are a couple? That's the assumption I'm making."

Very subtle, but in a way explicit I'd say (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1862 comments I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder - when I first read this as a teen that went right over my head, so they could just be what TV Tropes calls 'heterosexual life partners'.

Whichever, I like the way it's handled and the fact that no one else thinks it's a big deal either way - sadly unusual in a fantasy novel of this age.

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Finished. Rated 3.5 stars. It was good, although I think the gold weapons of the 'Ahztacs' are to me what purple eyes are to Mayim.

message 21: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished. I feel like Gemmell is getting better at writing characters and human condition as we go and thats why I am tolerating the formulaic themes.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Finished. Rated 3.5 stars. It was good, although I think the gold weapons of the 'Ahztacs' are to me what purple eyes are to Mayim."

This is a good observation Shaitarn. I remember I did laugh out loud.