Support for Indie Authors discussion

Ebook Publishing > How do I make my book free on Amazon?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 49 comments Hi! I have a question. I am trying to make the first book in my series free on Amazon. I don't just want to make it free for those who have Kindle Unlimited, but to everyone. Does anyone know how to do this or is it even possible?

Serena

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments Alyson wrote: "Hi! I have a question. I am trying to make the first book in my series free on Amazon. I don't just want to make it free for those who have Kindle Unlimited, but to everyone. Does anyone know how t..."

The simplest way to do that is to publish the book through Pronoun - they have an option to list a book for free, and will even make it free on Amazon.

If you publish the book through KDP you will have to publish it on other sites and attempt to get Amazon to price match the book to free, which they are reluctant to do so it can be hit and miss as to whether they will do it.

Pronoun is the only way I know for certain of making a book permafree on Amazon.

message 3: by Alyson (last edited Oct 10, 2017 03:04PM) (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 49 comments Alex wrote: "Alyson wrote: "Hi! I have a question. I am trying to make the first book in my series free on Amazon. I don't just want to make it free for those who have Kindle Unlimited, but to everyone. Does an..."

Thanks, Alex. My book is already out on KDP. Would it still work through Pronoun?

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments Unfortunately not, you have to publish through Pronoun in order to list a book as free. You can publish through Pronoun to get to other sites, and they will accept a link to the book if it is already published on Amazon so you could attempt the price-match method.
If your book is already published to Amazon through KDP though that is where the price is set.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Pronoun is a distributor who will publish to Amazon for you or allow you to leave your book with kdp (just not select). So if you unpublish with kdp and allow Pronoun to publish to Amazon on your behalf, this becomes a bit easier as they will go through the motions of getting your book free for you. However, if you want to keep your control over your book on Amazon (track sales, etc with your kdp dashboard), you'll need to do the legwork to get them to price match it yourself. Just remember that Amazon's own terms of service state that they will allow temporary price reduction to free, but they are under no obligation to keep it that way permanently.

message 6: by Tamir (new)

Tamir A. Shaw (tamir_a_shaw) If you're with KDP you should be able to click promotions and follow the options from there.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Tamir wrote: "If you're with KDP you should be able to click promotions and follow the options from there."

That's only for KDP Select and only for up to five days per 90 day period.

message 8: by Tamir (new)

Tamir A. Shaw (tamir_a_shaw) Right. Didn't realize she wanted that price forever. I thought she wanted to increase the audience.

message 9: by Bink (last edited Oct 14, 2017 12:02AM) (new)

Bink Cummings (binkcummings) | 7 comments I published my book via Draft2Digital and made it free there. Then made them price match via Amazon as I kept it in KDP. It took about 5-6 days. But not too long. It' s been perma free for years that way. I just recently heard about Pronoun. Had an anthology I was apart of get published free that way. It was quick and easy.

message 10: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 49 comments Maybe I'll have to put it back in Kindle Unlimited. I'm just trying to get my exposure. Thanks for all the help.

I've never used Pronoun, so maybe I'll have to give it a try. I'm still trying to figure out the indie world.