David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Reading Challenges! > Pick It For Me Challenge: October/November 2017

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Oct 09, 2017 10:00PM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Here are your partners:

Jenny and Joycedale
Sarah and Karen
Jenny and Anne

1. Sarah https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
2. Jenny https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
3. Joycedale https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
4. Karen https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

***If you do not have access to your partner's shelf, please send a friend request to your partner!***

You now have one week to decide amongst yourselves how many books you will pick for each other, and to make those choices.

You can chat with your partner either here or by PM- PREFERABLY BY PERSONAL MESSAGE SO THAT THIS BOARD IS NOT CLUTTERED UP.

Either way, all of you MUST do a post on here this week that is similar to the example that I did on the first post:

My name: Jenny
My partner: Sarah
The books picked for me: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda
Cinder (read 3/16/2015)- 4 stars. Intriguing premise, great characters, and a really cool retelling that was unfortunately plagued by predictability.
The Hunt (read 3/28/2015)- 4 stars. The Hunt had lots of suspense, admirable lead characters, and kept me scared and nervous.

Note that you have until the end of November to READ THE BOOKS and edit/fill in the information/short review at the bottom. Technically, you will have until the end of the year, as we are not doing a PIFM challenge in December.
Have fun!

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

My Partner: Joycedale

Books Picked for me: Stay with Me (Wait for You, #3) by J. Lynn Losing It (Losing It, #1) by Cora Carmack Justice Buried (Starbright, #1) by Hilary Thompson

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Nov 03, 2017 08:45PM) (new)

My partner: Anne

Books picked for me: White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1) by Paige McKenzie

I get 2 partners this time! YAY!

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black 4 stars!
This was a fun, quick read, full of all kinds of mind games. It was hard to know who was conning who in this one! Can't wait to read the rest of this series!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "My name: Jenny
My partner: Anne

Books picked for me: TBD

I get 2 partners this time! YAY!"

Awesome! :)

message 5: by Karen’s Library (last edited Dec 20, 2017 01:44PM) (new)

My name: Karen
My partner: Sarah

Books picked for me:
Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown 4 stars
The Fold by Peter Clines 4 stars
Wonder Woman Warbringer (DC Icons, #1) by Leigh Bardugo 4 stars

I'm really excited about all my picks!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 29 comments My name: Sarah
My partner: Karen

Books picked for me: Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James

I'm excited!

message 7: by ☆Joycedale☆ (last edited Nov 25, 2017 01:56PM) (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments I'm Joycedale
My partner is Jenny
The books picked for me
Fates (Fates, #1) by Lanie Bross
Defy the Stars (Defy the Stars, #1) by Magan Vernon
The Compound (The Compound, #1) by S.A. Bodeen ⭐⭐⭐⭐

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (butterflie0405) I'm Anne. Jenny is my partner too. She picked these for me:

Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1) by Erin Bowman
One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

This is going to be fun!

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Thanks so much Anne and Joycedale for my picks! Looking forward to reading all of those :)

message 10: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Anne wrote: "I'm Anne. Jenny is my partner too. She picked these for me:

Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1) by Erin Bowman
One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

This is going to be fun!"

YAY!

message 11: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Anne I've read both of those and loved them!

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne (butterflie0405) Yes i think theyll be great :)

I'm really interested to hear about Vengeance Road. It's on sale right now and I'm wondering if I should get it. I really enjoyed One of Us is Lying.

I love my picks. I sort of started Origin the night before I knew it was a PIFM book. ;-D I'm almost done.

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Karen, I loved Vengeance Road. I'd definitely recommend buying it. Its a great adventure story.

Jenny wrote: "Karen, I loved Vengeance Road. I'd definitely recommend buying it. Its a great adventure story."

Good enough for me. I still need a V for my A - Z challenge. ;)

Well, I finished my first PIFM book, Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown .

It was a fun read for me as I love googling and learning about all the new art, places to visit, architecture, history, etc., that we always get from Dan Brown's books. This one was a page turner for me and I gave it 4 stars.

Perfect start to my 3 books!!

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Karen wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Karen, I loved Vengeance Road. I'd definitely recommend buying it. Its a great adventure story."

Good enough for me. I still need a V for my A - Z challenge. ;)"

Perfect!

message 18: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Karen wrote: "Well, I finished my first PIFM book, Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown.

It was a fun read for me as I love googling and learning about all the new art, places to visit, architecture, history, etc., that..."

YAY! I need to get caught up on Dan Brown. I'm now 2 books behind!

message 19: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I read my first book in the challenge! White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black 4 stars!

This was a fun, quick read, full of all kinds of mind games. It was hard to know who was conning who in this one! Can't wait to read the rest of this series!

Oh I forgot I read my 2nd book. The Fold by Peter Clines

I really liked the premise for this book. A good sci-fi. And then we get to the last 25% or so, and it got really bizarre and went in an entirely different direction. I gave it 4 stars. Overall, I did enjoy it. I listened to this one on audio and Ray Porter narrated. He's one of my favorite performers!

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Nov 27, 2017 04:48PM) (new)

Sarah | 29 comments Finished my first book yesterday 11/9. I read The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James in basically a day. I couldn't put it down and I loved the twists. 4 stars.

Finished Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor yesterday, 11/26. Really strong finale to this trilogy and I gave it 4.5 stars.

message 22: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Finished The Compound (The Compound, #1) by S.A. Bodeen and gave it 4 stars. It was short and interesting enough that I read it in about 2 hours lol. It really was a good story. While there is a sequel with the way it ended it could be done.

☆Joycedale☆ wrote: "Finished The Compound (The Compound, #1) by S.A. Bodeen and gave it 4 stars. It was short and interesting enough that I read it in about 2 hours lol. It really was a good story. While there is a sequel with the ..."

That looks good!

Sarah wrote: "Finished my first book yesterday 11/9. I read The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James in basically a day. I couldn't put it down and I loved the twists. 4 stars."

I added this one to MY TBR list, it looked so good!!

Oh thank goodness we have until the end of December on this one. Whew. I lost a week of reading time with the flu.

message 26: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Same Karen! I didn't know that Tome Topple Readathon was happening this month, that's basically 2 weeks my TBR went out the window!

Wow, I finished all my picks this time!

I finished Wonder Woman Warbringer (DC Icons, #1) by Leigh Bardugo and really enjoyed it! There was some cool stuff about the Helen of Troy legend. I think I liked the premise of this book even more than the Wonder Woman movie. :)

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 29 comments Hey are y'all up for January-Feb?