HPL Reads Book Club discussion

The Leavers > New Read for October/November!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Houston (new)

Houston Library (hplreadsonlinebookclub) | 134 comments Mod
We have a new book to read together, Houston! You voted, and now we'll start on The Leavers by Lisa Ko.

There are lots of different formats available for this book, so we should be able to start very soon.

Here's a quick synopsis:
One morning Deming Guo's mother, an undocumented Chinese immigrant named Polly, goes to her job at the nail salon and never comes home. With his mother gone, eleven-year-old Deming is left with no one to care for him. He is eventually adopted by two white college professors who move him from the Bronx to a small town upstate. Far from everything he's ever know, Daniel struggles to reconcile his new life with memories of his mother and his past.

message 2: by Raeann (new)

Raeann | 21 comments I just finished the book this morning !
There are so many twists and turns I don't feel like I can really talk about specifics without giving too much away.
What I can say though is Lisa Ko did a fantastic job. The way the story sort of bounced around could have been confusing, but somehow she tied it together in a really easy to follow way. I really enjoyed the story and the writing. Maybe towards the end of this book club discussion I can talk more about specifics, after more persons have read it so as to not spoil it.
And I look forward to more discussion threads/topics.

message 3: by Houston (new)

Houston Library (hplreadsonlinebookclub) | 134 comments Mod
So great, Raeann! I agree, the timeline was a little bit to get used to but our author is definitely skilled.