Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
This topic is about The King Beyond the Gate
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The King Beyond the Gate [Feb 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Feb 20th

Emelia  | 105 comments I have read this book already, but will be more than happy to do a BR with anyone ! Gemmell is my fave author and I never tire of re-reading any of his books !

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments in

Andrew | 653 comments I plan on being in for the whole series.

Brian | 986 comments In

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Spot

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
In

message 9: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments This should be a quick read and I'd like to join you for it.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments In

message 11: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I’ll still be reading this one

message 12: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments I'm joining in on this, last minute! And starting tonight since I've got Children in Time in 6 days!

message 13: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Found ancient-racism on page 8!
Let me know if you all see it! Haha

message 14: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I might start this today since my reading pace has been a bit slow

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'm backing off from this one guys. My copy is still not available at the library.

message 16: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Laura wrote: "I'm backing off from this one guys. My copy is still not available at the library."

Have you tried overdrive? It surprised me by having it for my library. Ebook, not audio, though you could try that too!

message 17: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Ch 2...

(view spoiler)

message 18: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Ch 5

I gotta ask you (view spoiler)

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Tried ot out Jess. But can't access it from here. :(
But thanks sweety. 😘

Shaitarn | 1893 comments Jess wrote: "Ch 2...

(view spoiler)

Andrew | 653 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Jess wrote: "Ch 2...

[spoilers removed]"

I got the exact same impression.

message 22: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Laura wrote: "Tried ot out Jess. But can't access it from here. :(
But thanks sweety. 😘"

Aw, too bad, worth a shot.

So far I am not enjoying this. I know Gemmel’s style having read Legend. But its really bothering me the lack of details and transitioning between characters doesn’t happen.

Plus, in Ch 6...(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Jess wrote: "Ch 2...."

Tenaka is a half-blood, and the rest I agree with Shaitarn. The Dragon there is just a statue over the barracks of the (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Up to Ch. 4 and I am very intrigued... The way he writes is fascinating to me...

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Up to Ch. 6... How did the (view spoiler)

Also, Victoria is right, being a seer in any Fantasy is a bad mojo, since they all seem to have to have their eyes gouged out 😱

Andrew | 653 comments Jess wrote: "Laura wrote: "Tried ot out Jess. But can't access it from here. :(
But thanks sweety. 😘"

Aw, too bad, worth a shot.

So far I am not enjoying this. I know Gemmel’s style having read Legend. But i..."

I'm through Chapter 6, too. For me this book is just OK. It's not the story I thought it would be, so right away I had a tough time connecting. And then the characters didn't grab me like Gemmel's heroes usually do. And the romance is a tough pill to swallow in this book. But even with all of that, I still like Gemmel's writing enough to chew through chunks of pages each time I open the book. So far I put this in the pulp fiction/guilty pleasure category of enjoyable books: not terribly good, but still a lot of fun.

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments I agree with Jessica though, that (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Ch. 7... My heart is breaking for the monk-gardener... !

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Ch. 9... 30 wives and 42 children??? WTF? And a palace... Hmmm, I wonder who he really is...

message 30: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Ch 9, around page 110 will have you guys rolling!
🤣

message 31: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 4 and I am very intrigued... The way he writes is fascinating to me..."

In what way Choko?

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Jess, it is this stark, raw, and jarring way he advances the narrative. It reminds me a bit of Glen Cook, but then DG does some philosophy tangents at times, which could get a bit corny... I just appreciate anything that breaks the linear storyline 😊

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Hahaha! I agree! I laughed my ass off at that very "secretive " affair 😀😁😂

message 34: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Starting tomorrow!

Timelord Iain | 15731 comments I'm on chapter 5... this is going so fast compared to the last 4 days I spent in Malazan Land...

Nice to be back to simple reading... I enjoy Malazan, but I have to pay a lot more attention...

I missed the racism, unless it's (view spoiler)

I'm enjoying everything except the insta-love... altho like Choko, I can just roll with it because whatever...

It's fun trying to understand the new political landscape 100+ years after Legend...

Shaitarn | 1893 comments I'm never quite sure if I like David Gemmell's writing or not; usually I like a story with a depth and background that's missing in his work. That's not to denigrate it, but I enjoy losing myself in a richly detailed world with complicated characters. But every time I pick up one of his books I find myself pelting through at a rush, carried along by the story. As Choko says, it's very stark, but perhaps that suits the dark, harsh tone of his work.

Chapter 6: (view spoiler)

I'm assuming the racism is the (view spoiler)

I like the idea of a mirror to The Thirty - the dark Templers and I hope Decado and the others manage to survive (view spoiler)

I like the characters (since I'm a sucker for people with incredible fighting skills) and would say that Scaler, Tanaka and Rayvan are my favourites.

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Ch. 20... (view spoiler)

Andrew | 653 comments I might not get much reading time over the next couple days. The wife and one-year-old are both really sick and can't keep any food/liquids down, so I'm unfortunately doing super gross laundry and bathing the kiddo a million times rather than reading King Beyond the Gate with all of you awesome folks. :(

Hoping those two get healthy soon, and that me and the three-year-old don't catch it. Then back to leisure reading.

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Good luck with all of that, Andrew! Fingers crossed for you not to catch it!

message 40: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Re: Racism

What about everyone just calling Pagan “the black man”? The narrator refers to him more as the black man than Pagan.

Just weird.
I’m not diggin’ this.

message 41: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 20, 2018 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 15731 comments Yea... I got to chapter 6 and he went all Sean Connery on her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1...

Edit: Uh... don't watch the last 2 seconds of that version... someone editted in him slapping Barbara Walters...

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Jess wrote: "Re: Racism

What about everyone just calling Pagan “the black man”? The narrator refers to him more as the black man than Pagan.

Just weird.
I’m not diggin’ this."

Coming from a country which had not had any black people ever, when I first saw the first black person there, all called him black, because there were no other of that color. Had nothing to do with racism. I think here is the same - the kids are asking all those black person questions because they have never seen one of them. It is only natural, in my opinion...

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments I finished it and I enjoyed it:) I know, I am easy to entertain. I loved the postscript by the author too - you never know what will work for you and what might bring you down. Thank you guys for the BR!

message 44: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Ok I’m on chapter 6 and I saw the word racism and was like what? I’m assuming your talking about that character but I’m guessing not many people of his background go to these areas

Also is it weird I’m not finding the romance here more tolerable I think I’m just used to gemmel that I kind of expect it even though I hate it it’s not bad as the first book

message 45: by Shaitarn (last edited Feb 20, 2018 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaitarn | 1893 comments Jess wrote: "Re: Racism

Just weird.
I’m not diggin’ this."

I think it's just to avoid referring to him constantly by name, the same way that Salvatore sometimes refers to Drizzt as 'the dark elf' or 'the drow' every now and then rather than writing 'Drizzt' 'Drizzt' 'Drizzt' every time.

I don't think anything racist is meant by it; I think David Gemmell
would've been genuinely shocked if anyone had mentioned it to him.

message 46: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments It is just strange.
It distracts from the story, for me.

I’ve still got 46% to go!

message 47: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Jess wrote: "Found ancient-racism on page 8!
Let me know if you all see it! Haha"

I tried to go back and find it but nothing is standing out for me.

Timelord Iain | 15731 comments I finished this book last night... it didn't tell the story I was expecting... that opening chapter with Dragons and such was so promising... this is probably a 3 stars from me...

I liked the little backstory on how the book came about, tho...

Also, Chapter 20, re:Choko (view spoiler)

I was kinda worried that (view spoiler)

At least the ending (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5409 comments Iain wrote: "I finished this book last night... it didn't tell the story I was expecting... that opening chapter with Dragons and such was so promising... this is probably a 3 stars from me...

I liked the litt..."

Completely agree! We had the same fears... Gemmel is not afraid to kill of anyone, so I was very scared for the (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1893 comments Iain wrote: "I finished this book last night... it didn't tell the story I was expecting... that opening chapter with Dragons and such was so promising... this is probably a 3 stars from me...

I liked the litt..."

Completely agree with you about the ending (view spoiler)

« previous 1