Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Random Travel Challenge > Ruth's Random Travels 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (last edited Sep 06, 2018 03:24AM) (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Here are the 10 countries for my 2018 Random Travel Challenge. Good for me that none are Spanish-speaking so it'll take me away from my usual reads.
China
Turkey
Rwanda
Eritrea
England
Tuvalu
Wales
Egypt
Kyrgyzstan
Armenia

Now to do some research

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 8 comments Hi Ruth, for Rwanda you should have a look at Our Lady of the Nile. I read it just recently and really enjoyed it ☺

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Bethany wrote: "Hi Ruth, for Rwanda you should have a look at Our Lady of the Nile. I read it just recently and really enjoyed it ☺" Thanks for the recommendation Bethany, I just had a look at the description and it looks very interesting so it'll definitely be going on my to read list. The only problem is if I can wait until next year!

message 4: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 8 comments Haha I have the same problem with my list! There are all these books that I already wanted to read that then happened to be from the right countries. Although I have the Central African Republic on my list which I might have to swap 😔

message 5: by Ruth (last edited Oct 13, 2017 10:24AM) (new)

Ruth | 442 comments So I've made a start researching possible reads
For Kyrgyzstan I'll read something by Chingiz Aitmatov either The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years or Jamilia.
For Eritrea I'd like to read Understanding Eritrea: Inside Africa's Most Repressive State by Martin Plaut.
And for Rwanda I'm going to go with Bethany's suggestion of Our Lady of the Nile byScholastique Mukasonga.
For Tuvulu either The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares or By Reef and Palm by Louis Becke.
For Wales something by Dylan Thomas.
For Turkey I've been wanting to read something by Elif Shafak since reading one of her short stories in the collection Reader, I Married Him: Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre.
So four more countries to think about: China, England, Egypt and Armenia.

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments I've made a start with England and Ian McEwan's novel Saturday

message 7: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Hunt (reason2believehim) | 243 comments Good luck Ruth. I've got a classic about Wales on my to-read list as soon as I can find it. "Wild Wales" by George Borrow is supposed to be a great book about the nature in the area. Happy New books to you!

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Vicky wrote: "Good luck Ruth. I've got a classic about Wales on my to-read list as soon as I can find it. "Wild Wales" by George Borrow is supposed to be a great book about the nature in the area. Happy New book..." Thanks Vicky, I'd be interested to read that and I found a free ebook version https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/borr.... I read his The Bible in Spain which was a fascinating account of life there in the early 19th century.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 2: Wales

I've just read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog by Dylan Thomas

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 3: Tuvalu The Invention of Morel

Country number 4: Egypt Woman at Point Zero

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 5: Armenia Nobody's Child

I knew reading about the genocide was going to be difficult so I chose a book for children/young adults but which still makes for a difficult read emotionally.

message 12: by Ruth (last edited May 14, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 6: Rwanda Notre-Dame du Nil

Excellent but heart wrenching read by Scholastique Mukasonga

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 7: Eritrea

I've just finished Michela Wrong's 2005 book about Eritrea I Didn't Do It for You, fascinating read about a country that's been ill served by its colonial rulers and sadly has become a very repressive regime. I still hope to read Understanding Eritrea: Inside Africa's Most Repressive State which was published 2 years ago when I manage to get hold of a copy. I probably wouldn't have thought about reading about Eritrea were it not for the random travel challenge, so although it's taken me a while to get through this it was well worth it.

message 14: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 8: Turkey

Madonna in a Fur Coat which opens and closes in Turkey

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 9: Kyrgyzstan

Jamilia a touching love story narrated by Jamilia's young brother-in-law who finds his vocation as an artist towards the end of this novella set during WW2. Written in Russian by Chingiz Aitmatov and translated by James Riordan.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 442 comments Country number 10: China

The History of Bees - a thought-provoking and engaging read - there are three separate narratives that come together in the final pages; one is set in China and the other two in the UK and the USA. Debut adult novel for the Norwegian author Maja Lunde, translated from the Norwegian by Diane Oatley.