What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Flowers
This topic is about The Flowers
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. story or book that I believe was written by a dark skinned woman; described beautiful depictions of flowers and nature enjoyed by a young girl only for her to come across the gruesome and disturbing scene of a dead body [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina Osiecki | 260 comments The story described beautiful depictions of flowers and nature enjoyed by a young girl only for her to come across the gruesome and disturbing scene of a dead body

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
When did you read it? YA or adult? How old is the girl? Where and when is it set? Any paranormal or fantasy aspects? Remember the cover?

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina Osiecki | 260 comments Actually I was taking an extracurricular fiction writing class at college and to get us inspired to write and give us ideas or teacher brought up this short story about the girl finding the dead body on the overhead. I'm not sure if it was part of a book. I got the impression it was written by an popular African American woman by the name and the girl was in the 5-15 age range or at least that's what I gathered. Our teacher explained that the innocence of the girl enjoying the beauty of all nature had to offer on a such nice day was juxtaposed against the climax of the young girl encountering the gruesome sight of the dead body which didn't fit the initial depiction of innocence and purity

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments Reminds me of Beautiful Darkness.

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5013 comments Sounds like The Flowers by Alice Walker

Here is the link to enotes with a synopsis
https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/...

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Regina, was #4 or #5 your book?

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina Osiecki | 260 comments It was #5, thanks!

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beautiful Darkness (other topics)
The Flowers (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alice Walker (other topics)