Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Games - General Thread > Read-a-thon

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Oct 08, 2017 06:21PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8583 comments Mod
Hi all!

I'm just gauging interest in a read-a-thon to run in the next month. It'll be one week period and the main goal being to focus on finishing a challenge.

Last year, we ran this, I think I managed to complete my LOST... This year, I've already completed LOST but I've got 3 more MM17 books I need to complete. Plus, it'll be a good time to round off Bookopoly before it finishes off in November.

Please let me know if you're interested and which week is your preference:
1. October: 16-22 (Note: Dewey's 24-hr readathon on Oct 21)
2. October: 23-29
3. Oct-Nov: 30-5
4. Nov: 6-12
5. Nov: 13-19

I'm good for most except #4.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1020 comments Sounds like a good idea. I have no preference when we start. I only be able to finish one book in a week though.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2568 comments I'd throw out that if he Dewey 24hr readathon is the 23rd

message 4: by Tien (last edited Oct 08, 2017 06:29PM) (new)

Dee wrote: "I'd throw out that if he Dewey 24hr readathon is the 23rd"

Thanks, Dee. According to the website, it's October 21st. Are you participating? Or is anyone here participating? I've never been game enough to do this... I can't sit for 24 hour & read (well, I can but my family won't let me get away with that)

Since you can read whatever you want for Dewey's, you could probably combine the 2 read-a-thons...? Or was that your subtle hint:)

message 5: by Tien (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Sounds like a good idea. I have no preference when we start. I only be able to finish one book in a week though."

It doesn't matter, Jayme... we just try to read as much as we can during the week. And if we can, we try to complete A reading challenge or to read as much as we can for that reading challenge to get us closer to the finishing line.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1020 comments I never finished any of mine. When I was a new member of one of my groups. I actually finished the season challenge only because I read like crazy.

message 7: by Tien (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I never finished any of mine. When I was a new member of one of my groups. I actually finished the season challenge only because I read like crazy."

If you wish, you can focus on a group read; for PAS, you can focus on the monthly shelf and read 1 book for it during the readathon.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2568 comments Tien wrote: "Dee wrote: "I'd throw out that if he Dewey 24hr readathon is the 23rd"

Thanks, Dee. According to the website, it's October 21st. Are you participating? Or is anyone here participating? I've never ..."

It's the day before my marathon - so good excuse to relax and read but I won't be doing all 24hrs

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1020 comments Unless you can read while you sleep. :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2814 comments Mod
I think this looks great. Option number 4 is not good for me either, though. But I will go with whatever is good for the group.

message 11: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3048 comments I love this idea, Tien! I can do all, though I think I'll have the most time in Nov: 13-19. But any will work.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2140 comments I'd like to participate and am available for all time periods except #1.

message 13: by Tien (new)

yay, Amy!

So far, it's looking at #2, #3, or #5 with one preference for #5 whilst others are find with whichever of these dates...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1020 comments I think October 23-29 coinsides with banned book week.

message 15: by Tien (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I think October 23-29 coinsides with banned book week."

Isn't that in September, Jayme?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1020 comments You are right. I thought it was October, my mistake.

message 17: by Charity (new)

Charity | 545 comments I prefer November...but definitely interested!

message 18: by Karin (last edited Oct 12, 2017 05:09PM) (new)

Karin | 800 comments I want to do this, and any week is fine, as it will be hit and miss for me as to how much reading I'll be able to do as it's fall. Still, it will be fun!

message 19: by Tien (new)

Thanks for registering your interest, guys. So far, it's looking like Nov 13-19...

I'll keep the thread open til after the weekend & confirm details next week :)

message 20: by Rosemary (last edited Oct 14, 2017 04:07PM) (new)

Rosemary | 828 comments I only have 2 Lost books to read, and I don't think I'll get to either of them in October. So maybe I can read them that week ...