2. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

3. The Faraway Tree Collection by Enid Blyton

4. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

5. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

7. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

8. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

9. The Secret History by Donna Tartt

I've read two on this list- The Little Prince and Little Women. I remember enjoying Little Women, though definitely not as much as I enjoyed Austen's and the Bronte sister's works. The Little Prince I haven't read since I was a child and I've been meaning to reread it. I vaguely remember it being confusing but I think it was the age I was. I'd love to read it now and see what I pick up.

The Handmaid's Tale has definitely been in the news, what with the Emmy nominated and winning series. Has anyone seen the series and read the book? If so, what did you think?

One day I will also get around to those classic Russian authors but I don't think it'll be this year.

Let us know what you think of this month's selections!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I have read Birdsong, (wonderful), The Handmaid's Tale (two times and finding it not so great the second go around), The Little Prince and Little Woman when I was young and enjoyed both, and Madame Bovary which I was not that impressed with. I do want to read both Midnight's Children and The Secret History. Perhaps I will get to them before the year is out.

Yikes Crime and Punishment might be for sometime in the distant future....

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 451 comments I have read three of the titles: Little Women, The Little Prince and The Handmaid's Tale (I haven't seen the tv show... yet, but I want to). I think I've read Madame Bovary, but I can't remember. And I started The Secret History... and grew bored and didn't finish it. The Russians are on my mountain of books to be read, maybe during a nice stay at home snow day. :)