We Read discussion

And the Mountains Echoed
This topic is about And the Mountains Echoed
Oct.: 'And the Mountains Echoed' > Let’s discuss ‘And the Mountains Echoed’

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Dakar (mrjdakar) | 66 comments Mod
Pose any questions and/or share your thoughts and insights with the group regarding And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.

message 2: by J. (new) - added it

J. Dakar (mrjdakar) | 66 comments Mod
I was introduced to Khaled Hosseini’s work when a former professor/mentor gave me a paperback copy of The Kite Runner. I can’t recall whether it was a birthday or graduation gift, but I knew he was a gifted storyteller, and I immediately read A Thousand Splendid Suns in hardcover when it was published a short time later.

I saw the hardcover of And the Mountains Echoed on sale at Costco, and I couldn’t resist. However, it has taken me years to read it.

I read the first chapter when I returned home that day, but I couldn’t bring myself to continue reading it until I chose it for this month’s We Read. For years, the book has sat on my nightstand as a constant invitation and reminder.

Having just finished the book, I now know why I couldn’t read it until now: I wasn’t ready.

Earlier this year, shortly before launching We Read, I began blogging again. It turns out I wasn’t ready for that either, and my website has been dormant for five months. That may very well continue, but I have thoroughly enjoyed devoting my time and energy to the We Read selections and other books I’ve read this year.

How fitting that I would complete my 2017 reading challenge (though I fully intend to read as many more as I can this year) with the work of one of my favorite novelists!

Oh, and I mention the physical formats of the Khaled Hosseini books I’ve read because although I love reading digitally, I can’t bring myself to read his books any other way.