Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > NAB?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments Given their title, the books in this "series" appear to be all radio dramas, not books.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/2132...

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments I'm seeing ISBNs so they are straddling the line between obvious radio plays and audiobooks... :/

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments This is a description:

Experience one of television's greatest science fiction series: The Twilight Zone. This collection of episodes is fully dramatized for audio and features a full cast, music, sound effects, and performances by some of today's biggest celebrities.

Hard to think this is a "book".

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments And, from the librarian manual on Not a Book, the first line is:

Just as not all books have ISBNs, not all ISBNs are associated with books.

To me, that means that just because it has an ISBN doesn't make it a book.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments I have always taken that line in the manual to refer to items such as pallet / display / counter packages (which are given ISBNs for internal purposes), and DVDs which also occasionally get ISBNS.

Audiobooks themselves are often a grey area - how many narrators makes it into a radio play? Is it the adaptation aspect (i.e. not the book being read, but a script created from the book)?

Some radio play should not be added to Goodreads regardless of the above because they're not actually published. For example BBC Radio 4 produces many radio plays which are listenable to only at the time and then on iPlayer (usually for a limited period). These are never "published" works - if the BBC later decide to issue them as a CD for sale, then I would hope they would be (or become) permissible. I see this in the same light that we couldn't accession a legal copy of a BBC play into a library unless it was formally published.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments So when the manual specifically says these are not books, I should still have to differentiate between some theatrical recordings and other theatrical recordings?

* television episodes
* theatrical production recordings

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "So when the manual specifically says these are not books, I should still have to differentiate between some theatrical recordings and other theatrical recordings?

* television episodes
* theatrical production recordings"

I have tried several times to get an official, clear-cut answer to that. Never got it, but a fellow librarian said that if the theatrical recording was based on a book, it was allowed. I requested a confirmation from staff and it remained unanswered.

message 8: by Emy (last edited Oct 06, 2017 07:17AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments NB: I am NOT the voice of authority ;)

All radio plays (or virtually all) are recorded for broadcasting, but multi-narrator audiobooks are different in my mind. Firstly because they are narrations of the story and not a production FROM the story. Secondly, they "become" audiobooks when you can legally obtain them somewhere in a way the recording becomes your property.

I would see non-published radio plays as being like a TV episode - something broadcast once (or more) but only as an ephemeral object made of radiowaves, not any legitimate physical object. You can record them yourself, but as non-published items these would not be acceptable to add onto the database.

Theatrical records could also be interpreted as records of a dramatic production in process - that would be a legal nightmare too!

I'm thinking that we should have a thread in policies to hash out the definitions of "Radio play" "Audiobook" and "Theatrical production".

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments Emy wrote: "I'm thinking that we should have a thread in policies to hash out the definitions of "Radio play" "Audiobook" and "Theatrical production". ."

Good idea - she says as she runs off to do so.

message 10: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments *grin*Off home now but will c&p my comment over later if you can link the thread here?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments Here ya' go! Cross referenced in both places!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments In the case of the first in the referenced series, WorldCat says:

Recordings originally produced and released by CBS Enterprises and Falcon Picture Group, LLC., p2013.

I don't know if that means they were ever broadcast, though I know (amazingly) that radio still has programs of this type.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/twiligh...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6665 comments Bump.