Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > Agatha Christie play replaced because of the original racist title

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily (last edited Oct 05, 2017 06:12PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 18252 comments A high school in New Jersey has decided not to produce the play And Then There Were None because of the original title. What do you think? http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/...

message 2: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Van | 3 comments Ridiculous.

message 3: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 18252 comments Christophe wrote: "Ridiculous."

Agree!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2823 comments Christophe wrote: "Ridiculous."

Couldn't have said it better.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 9 comments They could have had a useful discussion on how some words are no longer acceptable and how the changes came about.

Or alternatively they could have deliberately just not mentioned any other titles that the book had.

message 6: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 104 comments Beyond ridiculous.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4574 comments Mod
Ruth wrote: "They could have had a useful discussion on how some words are no longer acceptable and how the changes came about.

Or alternatively they could have deliberately just not mentioned any other titles..."

I agree that taking that path would have been an eye-opener and would have been a really good conversation for the high schoolers to have. There are so many words that were so beyond racist (Brazil nuts for example) when I was young. And names that were culturally sensitive in the 1960s would be slug-worthy now. I think that would have been a really good conversation for the kids to have.