Children's Books discussion

Authors/ Publishers/ Promotional > Why IngramSpark’s New Trim Size is Great News for Children’s Book Makers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stead (chrisstead) | 19 comments Hi Fellow Indies,

There was a small announcement today from print-on-demand service IngramSpark that offers a great new opportunity for self-published authors. I've done a detailed breakdown too big for a forum of that announcement that shows how it can impact the way you think about your book’s design. If you are making or are about to make a book, it’s well worth staying informed.

I hope it helps.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (juggernaut) | 11 comments Hi Chris.

Thank you for the information.

My biggest issue with IngamSpark is that their process for setting up books is very difficult to maneuver with steps that mislead and contradict each other. You also cannot get a physical proof without approving the digital proof, and then it is too late to make changes without paying a fee. But this should not be as much of an issue for the eBooks.

I tried printing with IngramSpark's Standard70 printing, but it was well below the standards of Createspace's printing, so I am going to try to go with the Premium printing anyway. That they are charging extra for this layout beyond the Premium printing is a bit puzzling. Maybe they will drop the price going forward?

Thank you!
Paul Sterman

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Stead (chrisstead) | 19 comments In another forum someone mentioned to me that these big companies have multiple printers around the world - which makes sense - and that the individual printers vary in quality. When I compared IngramSpark to CreateSpace with my books, the IngramSpark quality was way better (if still below that of a traditional printer). The setup sure is frustrating; the problem of working with a computer over a human!

message 4: by Agatha (new)

Agatha Bobblesbee | 2 comments Paul wrote: "Hi Chris.

Thank you for the information.

My biggest issue with IngamSpark is that their process for setting up books is very difficult to maneuver with steps that mislead and contradict each othe..."

Hi Paul,
I actually found Ingram's process to be pretty straight forward and did not run into any issues when submitting my picture book Learning to Fly. It was a much easier process than Createspace. The only issue I had was that there needs to be an extra bleed for the cover of hardbound copies to account for the wrap around and the spine.

You can get a physical proof of your book at Ingram before you approve it to print. Which I would highly recommend if you don't work in CMYK and don't have a properly calibrated monitor.

Definitely go with the Premium paper, especially if you have a lot of images in your book, there's a noticeable difference. I was quite impressed with the quality and accuracy of the hardbound Ingram books. It was comparable to offset press printing. Createspace print quality is acceptable, but for picture books the color was not as vibrant. If you are printing books that are text only and want to save money, Createspace is fine. But for picture books for children Ingram is superior.

My two cents!
Agatha

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (juggernaut) | 11 comments Hi Agatha. How are you?

How do I get a physical proof of the book at IngramSpark before I approve the proof? Ingram said it cannot be done, so what was the work-around to make it happen? There is an "order" option, but they stated, and their ordering system states, that the "order" option cannot be send until I have approved the digital proof. Maybe they changed their policy since you set up?

I am glad that you did not have any trouble with Ingram. I have not been so fortunate. It was so frustrating that I was considering not printing with them. For me, Createspace was a breeze - even though I went with Createspace first and had less knowledge about printing.
(unfortunately I don't seem to be alone with the difficulties with IngramSpark).

Anyway, please let me know how to get the physical proof without approving the digital proof first? I have other books I want to publish in my collection, so this will be very helpful information!

Thanks!
Paul

message 6: by Agatha (new)

Agatha Bobblesbee | 2 comments Paul wrote: "Hi Agatha. How are you?

How do I get a physical proof of the book at IngramSpark before I approve the proof? Ingram said it cannot be done, so what was the work-around to make it happen? There is ..."

Hello Paul,
Unfortunately I did not write down the entire process for submitting my book to Ingram and there is no info on their website, but I found a website that explains the process. You are correct, you can get a proof but you have to approve the title first and not put it into distribution, then order a physical copy. If you need to make changes, you have to pay $25. Looks like their attempt to gouge us for extra money. That is the one thing I do not like about Ingram and their customer service is lousy. Unfortunately they are the only POD for hardbound books and better for extended distribution.

I will admit I was very apprehensive approving my title before seeing a physical proof and not knowing what to expect from their printers. Especially working with detailed illustrations when color accuracy is extremely important. But being the cheapskate I am I took a chance. I made sure I saved my pdf EXACTLY how they requested as a PDF/X-3:2002 so that there were no shifts in the color and worked in CMYK. A lot of people work in RGB or have crummy monitors and are surprised when they go to print and black is added to the mix. Once you print with them and you know what to expect from their printers then an eProof is probably fine.

Agatha

Here's the link with Ingrams printing process:
https://selfpublishingadvice.org/book...

On IngramSpark, when you upload a new title, the process is similar, except that you are prompted to place your order for physical proof copies while the book is still in review with IngramSpark. However—and here’s the part that has caught me out a few times—your proof copies will not be printed and shipped until after IngramSpark have done their review and you have then clicked the ‘Approve’ button that appears next to your book title in the dashboard.
But wait. You don’t want to start distributing your book before you’ve even seen a copy of the real thing, right? Not to worry. As long as this is a new title and is not already in distribution (we’ll come back to this point in a bit), you’ll then be prompted with the following three options:
1. Approve title and authorise its inclusion into the distribution channels.
2. Approve title, but keep it from the distribution channels until a physical proof has been ordered.
3. Do not approve title.
So click the second option, and order a proof copy if you’ve not done so already. Once you’ve received your proof copies and are happy, you can then go to the details page of your book and click the ‘Enable’ button, which will push your book out into the distribution channels.
If you’re not happy with your physical proof, both platforms allow you to upload new files and try again. IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to use your ALLi discount (one of the many benefits of ALLi membership) for free file revisions on IngramSpark, or else you’ll be charged $25 per revision. You can also use the same discount code to get a discount on the per-book setup fee. (Thank you ALLi and Ingram!)

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (juggernaut) | 11 comments Hi Agatha. Thank you for the reply.

Yes, that is exactly the issue I had with setting up with IngramSpark. They make you approve it before seeing the hard copy and then if you want to make a change after seeing the hard copy, then they charge you $25.
If they were just trying to discourage you from approving a book too hastily, they would just let you see the physical copy first (like Createspace). However, it seems like this is just a way to make some money off the authors, since the order of the steps intentionally encourages the spending of the $25.
I too am using IngramSpark to make a hard cover version of my children's book.
Thanks!
Paul

message 8: by Kristin (last edited Oct 20, 2017 01:31AM) (new)

Kristin Wiman | 5 comments Thank you Chris!

I'm making my second book and this will be a good information to weight my choice.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Stead (chrisstead) | 19 comments Kristin wrote: "Thank you Chris!

I'm making my second book and this will be a good information to weight my choice."
No problems Kristin, I'm glad it helped.

message 10: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 5 comments If you join the IBPA one of the benefits is free title uploads and revisions on Ingram. Just food for thought!