Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
This topic is about The Shadow of the Wind
The Shadow of the Wind

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
For my first offering, take a look at this interactive map of locations in the novel. https://roubert.name/joakim/sombra/

This book is a tiny tour of Barcelona! If you click on "View the Placemarks directly in Google Maps here," I think it's best, but I didn't want you to miss the descriptions on the linked page.

message 2: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Very cool website -- so good to see the 'Net contains more than a way to link crazies with the legions of other crazies!
I loved this book, which is so marvelously steeped in the time & place that Barcelona is a character itself. All I knew about the Spanish Civil War prior to reading "Shadow..." was Guernica, Franco and the involvement of Nazi Germany on the Fascists' side and the Internat'l Brigades on the side of the leftist-Republicans. The story has all the necessary elements: a bookstore, several love stories - some ending tragically, cruelty, madness & passion, a little fabulism, and a deep dive into the history & culture of a place and time.
Unfortunately I'm going to miss this discussion too - I'm in Colorado staying with my sis until the 18th.
I promise to be there in Nov.!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xYzs...

Take a look at this video and understand... Zafon intended this story to be "feel good" at heart! ... While I grant you that it ends reasonably well considering all the torture and death, I think we may have to come to terms with the fact that Spanish culture is somewhat different than our own.

Readridinghood | 62 comments Hello everyone! I’m moving rather slowly in the book this month. I’m on chapter 17. It’s a little hard to follow, but I will say it is a feel good book. The only comment I can really make at this point is I like the idea that the narrator says the-pages of a book is like a friend. I’ve always felt that way. I will be coming to the Library on Call A Ride tonight. . If anyone is , available, I would appreciate a ride home. Thanks.

https://bookriot.com/2016/08/02/sexis...

Another thing to think about. Does anybody else agree? Clara, Nuria, Bea, Penelope, Sophie, Jacinta, Bernarda, and Daniel's unnamed (!) mother are all fairly one-dimensional stereotypes defined entirely by their relationships with men. Naysayers will say that the presentation of women as magical sensitive creatures you can beat and abuse is a reflection of the setting of the book, or through the eyes of a young man who's a product of his time. Fermin's womanizing ways may be entirely appropriate to that culture, thus explaining why the author included that. However, the author could have given the women some defining characteristics aside from who they loved.

message 6: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Very astute comments, Ken. Wish I'd been there to hear the group's reaction. I agree about the view/treatment of women (putting on a pedestal, then cheating on and abusing) is appropriate to the place & period.