ARCs Anonymous discussion

ARCtober (...you get it) > October reading progress

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 219 comments Mod
This is the topic where we share how we are doing with our monthly pick.

Yes, yes, this is also the place you cry on our shoulders if you're failing. We're here for you.

Sam - Spines in a Line (spinesinaline) | 10 comments Love the title of the discussion so I have to ask: do you guys pronounce is as "ark" or each of the letters A-R-C?

Hahaha good question :D I do. I wonder how others pronounce it?

It's like how that one time we found out that most people pronounce YA as "why - a" and not "yah" like me and my other friend did :D

message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Buller (lucybuller) | 2 comments I say it both ways because I like to confuse myself.
Also I finished my first book(and ARC) for the month! Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings.

Congrats Lucy!! I've just finished two, both were ARCs :) but I need to buckle up and make up for that slow September of mine!
Is anyone participating in SciFi Month in November? I have some amazing scifi ARCs this month that I'm going to read for that.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris (xokristim) | 2 comments I've finished two ARCs so far this month A Messy, Beautiful Life by Sara Jade Alan (i have a review on my blog shameless self promo here lol), Crystal Magic by Sandra Keyes. I'm 50% through Alone by Cyn Balog and 30% through Enlightenment is You Nature by OSHO (I tend to read all over the place lol) That's how my ARCs are going so far!

Lucy did you enjoy Zenith?

Evelina congrats on your progress!! And no Sci-Fi month for me :)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) commenting from mobile so sorry if this is a mess biuut,

this month so far I've done rly well w my arcs

I've read the little red wolf and lighter than my Shadow both earc graphic novels from netgalley

And I'm so close to finishing carnivore too! from harperinsider via Twitter request 😊

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Lauren wrote: "commenting from mobile so sorry if this is a mess biuut,

this month so far I've done rly well w my arcs

I've read the little red wolf and lighter than my Shadow both earc graphic novels from netg..."

Great job, Lauren! Way to keep at it!

I've completed 4 ARCs so far this month, and hoping to keep knocking that list down!

message 9: by imyril (new)

imyril First ARC down: Shadowblack by Sebastian de Castell. I’m signed up for SciFi Month, which is a motivator to get to some oooold ARCs, but I might read Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeannette any next...

Sounds to me like everyone is doing really good :) I'm reading my third ARC right now. But they're all new! I feel like I'll need to make a topic or a challenge where we all read our old ARCs only :D

message 11: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) I am finishing my 5th ARC of the month, but I am so far behind, because I want to show some shelf-love and books keep coming available at the library. It's a struggle.

5th one! Your reading speeds amaze me as always :)

message 13: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
I say "ARC" as a word, but YA as y-a. *shrug* I won't participate in sci-fi November because trying to read a single genre for a month would drive me mental.

I've read 7 books already this month....but none of them are ARCs. *shame* You all are doing so well though!!

7??!!?! Woman, how??!!?!?!?!??!?!

?!?!?!?!?!?

Tell us your secret.

message 15: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "7??!!?! Woman, how??!!?!?!?!??!?!

?!?!?!?!?!?

Tell us your secret."

Easy! I have no life. :P Also, I tend to read in massive cycles--I only read 8 books total in September, but now I'm devouring everything I can get my hands on.

XD what's your secret to having no life? Cause I also have no [social] life, but work seems to take an uncivilized amount of time 😂

message 17: by Nicky (new)

Nicky ❤️ Mommy and Bella Read (mommyandbellaread) | 4 comments I've finished 7 books but only two were arcs. I have a full time job and two kiddos but I also have no social life so my weekends consist of reading and playing with kids. 😆
I also ended up getting some time off and was home for several days with a sick toddler. She spent hours just laying in my lap so I did nothing but read for 4 days straight.

You have a full time job and two kids and you still finished 7? You have my respect, woman!! You're tough! Ah well, I guess the time off explains some of it :D I mean.. nobody should be happy when their kids are sick, but... That kind of worked out for you, hahah :D

message 19: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
Well, the gracious, generous, enabling publishers just granted one of my NetGalley wishes, so...I seem to have gained another book during this therapy.

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) I've finished two ARCs so far this month, Christmastime Cowboy and The Scandalous Flirt.

Both of them are romances though so they don't fit with the monthly theme, but hey that's two off of my shelf (*whispers* we just won't talk about the two I've already added to my shelf this month).

I'm hoping to get to a few this upcoming week that do fit with the theme, so fingers crossed that actually happens.

Belle, what book did you get?
Melanie, congrats on having finished two already!

message 22: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Belle, what book did you get?
Melanie, congrats on having finished two already!"

Evelina, I got I Hate Everyone But You, which I'm pretty excited about. The authors are YouTubers I've followed for several years.

Looks pretty interesting, congrats :)

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne Logan | 4 comments My book is pretty long, but I'm really getting into it. I'm about a third of the way through-but I need to go faster!!!

Sounds like you're doing good! I haven't even started yet xD

message 26: by USOM (new)

USOM (utopia-state-of-mind) I rarely read 'Creepy' books so I am doing pretty badly so far....

Just pick something with magic or witches or ghosts! It doesn't have to be scary :)

message 28: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 5 comments I have about 100 pages left of my ARC Hekla's Children by James Brogden . Really, REALLY enjoying this book a lot. It did start off with a "It" sort of vibe, but when I hit the halfway mark, it took a complete flip. Should finish this very soon.

That sounds awesome! I am curious about your review :)

Alright, so I've decided to read another one for October. Also from my old ones, it's called In The Blue Hour and it's about ghosts and native Americans. A little bit sad so far though.

message 31: by Melanie (last edited Nov 01, 2017 04:11PM) (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) So I failed at getting to any of the three books I'd planned to for this theme. I did get to 1 different ARC that would fit the theme and 8 that do not fit. So overall, a successful ARC reading month but not really successful at staying on theme.

Hey, that's fine! You made the pile smaller by 8 ARCs. That's an achievement in my book :) congrats!