A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter Review Your November Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (last edited Oct 05, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

Janet  | 5751 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Many thanks.

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Posted my list. 3 new books.

message 3: by Perri (new)

Perri Ann, I did a double take just now seeing your choice of Mother, but see it's different from Mother! the Jennifer Lawrence film I just learned about. some critics raving, some walking out of the theater. Sounds horrible to me! Was wondering if it was based on a book.

Mandy, I learned that Around the World in 80 days is a series by Verne named Extraordinary Adventures and includes 20 Thousand Leagues under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Have you read any of his other works? What an imagination that man must have had!

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I saw Mother the movie and I think the problem was they marketed it incorrectly. It was NOTHING like I expected which made me disappointed. My husband wanted to walk out but we stayed. Now that I think about it after the fact it was very bizarre. I haven't decided whether I liked it or not. (Which must mean I didn't. Lol) I figured that I must be missing something being that it had those stars in it!

message 5: by Oguzhan (new)

Oguzhan | 4 comments Hey everyone, I am looking for stand alone thrillers and authors who write them!

thanks!

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Perri wrote: "Ann, I did a double take just now seeing your choice of Mother, but see it's different from Mother! the Jennifer Lawrence film I just learned about. some critics raving, some walking out of the the..."

Perri - I saw it was part of a series and I usually read them from the beginning but I need this for a challenge and I feel I am unlikely to read the whole series so am happy to just read this one - but then again who knows after I've finished! I've really enjoyed some classics I wasn't expecting over the last few years.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments I really want to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (and Around the World in Eighty Days). It feels like forever since I read a classic!

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Sophie wrote: "I really want to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (and Around the World in Eighty Days). It feels like forever since I read a classic!"

Me too Sophie :-)

message 9: by Perri (new)

Perri I read that it's easily a stand-alone. If you read it, be sure to leave a review!

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 584 comments I just realized that neither of my libraries has a copy of Harvest for some reason?! Looks like I might have to buy a book for the first time in years, lol

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Try Inter library Loan.

message 12: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments @Ann pick Mother so we can discuss

I have the book Mother by S.E. Lynes Mother that was Ann's list and I started this weekend. I started over twice because I was confused about who was narrating and what was happening. So even though I am confused, I think it is the kind of book where you are SUPPOSED to be confused and it gets cleared up later. Anyways, I am at 13% and I hope Ann reads it because she is literary and I think she can explain to me what is going on.

message 13: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Vicki wrote: "@Ann pick Mother so we can discuss
...I hope Ann reads it because she is literary and I think she can explain to me what is going on."

LOL

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Vicki said, '..pick Mother so we can discuss...'

Looks like Mother is coming out ahead for November, closely followed by Iron Lake.

Once I start reading it, I'm more than happy to discuss the book, Vicki - but, you never know, you may end up explaining it to me!

message 15: by Ann (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:50PM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Perri said 'Ann, I did a double take...'

I've not heard of 'Mother!" the film (just looked it up) - I see it's a horror movie and controversial - but it's not based on the book in my November list!

message 16: by Perri (new)

Perri Ann wrote: "Perri said 'Ann, I did a double take...'

I've not heard of 'Mother!" the film (just looked it up) - I see it's a horror movie and controversial - but it's not based on the book in my November list!"

You like horror, though, right? Would you watch it?

message 17: by Ann (last edited Oct 17, 2017 12:00AM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Perri said, 'You like horror, though, right?...'

I don't usually read horror because I don't like it. The Fourth Monkey, which I read recently, is a thriller but it had horror elements as far as I was concerned, and I didn't like them.

As for the film, Perri, I think it would scare me to pieces and I definitely wouldn't want to see it!

What about you?

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments I have a clear winner at the mo with Around the World in Eighty Days and think I only have one vote left to come.

message 19: by Perri (new)

Perri Ann wrote: "Perri said, 'You like horror, though, right?...'

I don't usually read horror because I don't like it. The Fourth Monkey, which I read recently, is a thriller but it had horror elements as far as I..."

I do like horror-Stephen King, Silence of the Lambs. House of Leaves. I don't like disturbing-Psycho, Clockwork Orange. Also I can read horror better than watch on film. Mother! seems firmly in the disturbing camp,- I was disturbed just reading about it!

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 584 comments I agree Perri, looking forward to watching some this month! I like the cheesier ones too, like Scream/Halloween

My only problem is that I don't like to watch them alone, but my boyfriend is too scared lol :(

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8107 comments Amber wrote: "Try Inter library Loan."

Yes! A great service.

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8107 comments Perri wrote: "Ann wrote: "Perri said, 'You like horror, though, right?...'

I don't usually read horror because I don't like it. The Fourth Monkey, which I read recently, is a thriller but it had horror elements..."

I like reading horror. Don't watch it very often though.

message 23: by Perri (new)

Perri I don't watch it much either especially in a theater in consideration for the eardrums sitting next to me. I have a very strong startle reflex and vocal chords :)

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Kirsten wrote: "Amber wrote: "Try Inter library Loan."

Yes! A great service."

Yeah...if a bit slow, but "Better late than never," right?

Perri, I've never seen a horror movie in a theater, either, mostly because I'm a bit like you in that regard: startle reflex and I'm really high pitched when excited or scared.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments I finished Iron Lake last night. It was such an enjoyable read and not in a shocking way, it's a slow moving mystery, written with great atmosphere.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Vicki - whereabouts are you with Mother? I hope to start it this weekend.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Ann wrote: "I finished Iron Lake last night. It was such an enjoyable read and not in a shocking way, it's a slow moving mystery, written with great atmosphere.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

Ann, I have read several of his books. I haven't found any of them lacking. He is an excellent writer, in my opinion.

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Patricia said, '...He is an excellent writer.."

Agreed.

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Ann wrote: "Patricia said, '...He is an excellent writer.."

Agreed."

Steve Hamilton is also a good writer. He tends to be the same sort of mystery writer.

message 29: by Perri (new)

Perri I need to get back to Cork after reading and liking the first outing. I Loved Ordinary Grace

message 30: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments @Ann About Mother... I am at 46% now. I can't wait to hear what you think because I seriously can't decide if I like it or not. I think I was confused about the genre (what genre is it supposed to be?? psychological drama?) so it isn't really what I was expecting. It has a underlying something going on that I can't figure out where it is going either.

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Vicki, I read the first two chapters last night. It has a strange feel to it, I agree.
I'll check in with you after the weekend...

message 32: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments I have a tie. Both books, The Devil's Teardrop & Under Dark Waters sound interesting. I have started reading The Devil's Teardrop and find it hard to put down. It won't hurt my feelings to be forced to read the second book.

message 33: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Dana (US),

this time it was almost impossible to pick. All of your books look great. In the end I voted for Speaking in Bones but only because I know this series and had to make a choice. In case Mandy votes for Milk & Honey feel free to change my vote to this I liked its description as much as the one of Speaking in Bones.

message 34: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Oops I have now voted for Dana (Speaking with Bones) and I am only missing a vote from Amber now, though it won't change anything and my lead book is way ahead :-)

message 35: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments I have a four way tie between Dead Stop, Haunted House, The Ice Maiden and Apple Tree Yard!

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Vicki- I finished 'Mother' at the weekend. We'll have to use spoiler alerts to discuss it here- it's one of those annoying books that you can't say a thing about without giving it all away!

message 37: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I'll be closing my own list soon, so please vote if you haven't already! You have until 5 PM Illinois time on Friday before I close it.

message 38: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments @Ann Thank you! I finished too. It did pick up the second half. (view spoiler)
What did you think overall?

message 39: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments RBW - I didn't realize i hadn't voted for you. I did now. Unfortunately, my vote put you in a tie!

My votes were a run away this month. I will be reading All The Pretty Girls. This has been on my list for a while so I am happy to finally get to it.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale OK, my list has been closed to voting since 5 PM yesterday, Illinois time.

message 41: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5751 comments Mod
The December threads are now up. They're up early because I anticipate being busy the next few days.

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8107 comments Sounds good, Janet! So few people plan ahead!

message 43: by Perri (new)

Perri I've had a hard time getting It Ends With Us from my library. It was lost so they have to look for it before they order another. Oh well, it is my NOV read :) Now onto Dec threads!

message 44: by Amber (last edited Oct 31, 2017 10:46AM) (new)

Amber Martingale Happens, Perri.

Can't find a copy of Put What Where? Over 2,000 Years of Bizarre Sex Advice at my library website and I'm NOT willing to try Inter Library Loan.

The Unbreakable Code, Celebritrees: Historic & Famous Trees of the World and Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution are available, however, so those are what I'm ordering.

message 45: by Ann (last edited Nov 07, 2017 03:56AM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments Hi Vicki,

I just read your review of Mother and I pretty much agree with you.

It was an odd book, wasn't it?
(view spoiler)

Here's my take -
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Your review is great.
I agree that those things felt inconsistent and took away from the book.
Oh well, On to the next! :)

message 47: by Amber (last edited Nov 08, 2017 12:16PM) (new)

Amber Martingale I was surprised that the German baker of the subtitle in Gingerbread for Liberty! helped win the war by FEEDING the Continental Army, even though I should have guessed.

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale One of the hazards of only being able to order short kid's books for PIFM is that when you finish the last book selected by your voters, you've gotta wait for next month. I think the combined total for all three of my November PIFM books is approx. 120!

message 49: by Perri (new)

Perri Amber, what are the ILL loan rules at your library? Mine is pretty lax but I try to not ask for too much.

message 50: by Amber (last edited Nov 08, 2017 12:43PM) (new)

Amber Martingale I don't really know. I just didn't want to go through ILL because I was afraid I'd get laughed at AND I was afraid that if it was a popular book I'd still be waiting for it in January. I've had that happen to me at least twice before: asked for a book and had to wait for three months for it to arrive.

« previous 1