Our Shared Shelf discussion

SEP/OCT - Hunger by R. Gay > Resources and Additional Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
1 in 6 women have experienced rape or sexual abuse in their life times. Given the nature of Roxane Gay's book, we can see how important it is to seek additional resources while moving from surviving to thriving.

Does anyone have any books they have read that have been helpful, motivating, or especially considerate? Any resources that we can pool for others?

Finish Line Feeling by Liz Ferro Finish Line Feeling Liz Ferro has created a US wide non profit to help inspire young girls who were victims of sexual violence to take back control of their bodies by introducing and training them in running.

message 2: by MeerderWörter (last edited Oct 05, 2017 05:11AM) (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments For Austria:
Women's telephone: 01 71 71 9
https://www.wien.gv.at/menschen/fraue...
This organisation only works in Vienna, but I am sure they can help you and direct you to other institutions:
It's for women and girls that are 14 years or older (also for same-sex-relationships), that have to endure violence and those who had to endure this in the past.
It is also for friends and relatives, it is in general for people who want to know more about violence against women and how to help these women.
The counselling is either via e-mail, phone, or personal.
In case that the counsellors are not capable of a language, interpreters are available.
What I personally think is really good is that they accompany you to go to the police/hospital/court...
They work 24/7 and their service is free.

For everyone under 14:
Rat auf Draht (advice on the ball)
www.rataufdraht.at
This organisation provides answers to all kinds of questions, that teenagers and children have, including (sexual) violence.
They also have a FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/147rataufdra...
And they also have a chat:
https://www.rataufdraht.at/online-ber...
And you can call them anytime for free, simply 147. (If it is really important rather call, because they are working off the chat one after another, it might take some time to get an answer)

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 82 comments RAINN has a list of resources for victims of sexual assault, for people in the US. I haven't had a chance to browse their full website just yet, but they also have a phone number for people to call.

https://www.rainn.org/national-resour...

message 4: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (astridaster) @ Keith. Thanks for the link. Nothing new, unfortunately. A famous German judge said himself in an interview that he would not advice his own daughter to go to court if ever she should have the misfortune to be raped. This tells us a lot about out societies. But then I also know women who helped bringing "their" rapist to jail, and it was part of a true healing process: Not being alone and solely responsable any more. But of course it doesn't go that way every time it should. In Germany at least the authorities do not always do real research (looking into the computers of persons accused of rape e.g.). And the rules for psychologists who ten give their opinion about the victim's credibility are all but professional.

message 5: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (astridaster) The third book of the Cormoran Strike series (Galbraith / Rowling) is also about this problem: Is it good for the victim to report rape? and it is treated in a very subtle way (Criminal Career is the title of the book).

message 6: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Astrid wrote: "The third book of the Cormoran Strike series (Galbraith / Rowling) is also about this problem: Is it good for the victim to report rape? and it is treated in a very subtle way (Criminal Career is t..."

Career of Evil is a really good book! It's somewhat creepy, but it is really good!

message 7: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (astridaster) @MeerderWörter: Career of Evil: Good read, yes! And I was really surprised how much the author was able to see all the subtle nuances of what rape can do (with the victim) and how it is possible to cope. I'm very glad someone popular like Rowling writes about it, and in a really encouraging way, too.

message 8: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Astrid wrote: "@MeerderWörter: Career of Evil: Good read, yes! And I was really surprised how much the author was able to see all the subtle nuances of what rape can do (with the victim) and how it is possible to..."

She has "the moral right of the author has been asserted". That gives an impression of how crass this book is. Yeah, she's really good with character development.

message 9: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (astridaster) @MeerderWörter: "the moral right of the author has been asserted" - what does that mean?

message 10: by Dagny Moland (new)

Dagny Moland Seim | 48 comments A recommendation from Gloria Steinem:

“Trauma and Recovery,” Judith Herman

From shell shock in World War I to childhood sexual abuse today, the reality of trauma has been denied. But as this indispensable book makes clear, “Remembering and telling the truth about terrible events are prerequisites both for the restoration of the social order and for the healing of individual victims.”

http://onegrandbooks.com/shop/curator...

A great read! Reads more like a textbook, but is still alive with emotion and truth.

A completely different text:

South of Forgiveness by Thordis Elva

Many of you may have seen the TED talk she gave, together with the man who raped her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyPoq...

Reading the book gives even further insight into their story. Highly recommended!

A side note to the last book: Thordis is from Iceland and a few weeks ago the Icelandic women's movement were crucial to overthrowing the government. Here is a link to an article about it and I pasted in the most essential part underneath the link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...

"In the last several years, the Icelandic women’s movement has made sexual violence a prominent issue. One of Iceland’s most prominent feminist organizations, Stígamót, a sexual assault crisis center, organized a 2010 women’s strike focused on violence against women. Several high-profile women spoke out about their own histories with abuse, including the late bishop of Iceland. In 2014, feminist activists forced the University of Iceland to stop a hire that was underway of a prominent former politician who had been publicly accused of sexual abuse and was backed by other powerful men. In 2015, women across Iceland organized through a 25,000-person closed Facebook group deceptively called “Beauty Tips,” in which young women revealed rape and sexual abuse. Over this past year, an Icelandic woman named Thordis Elva gave a widely viewed TED talk with the man who had raped her when she was a teenager, in which he took responsibility for what happened.

This pressure has been a social awakening for Iceland’s society, leading to outrage this summer that two convicted child molesters had had their records expunged. Women’s protests forced Benediktsson to step down. Support for feminist change is one reason the feminist-identified Left-Greens won the second biggest share of the vote in the 2016 elections and are now polling equally with the center-right Independence Party, the party that has had the most sway in politics since Iceland’s independence from Denmark in 1944.

How strong is the outrage? We will find out soon. The next parliamentary elections will be held Oct. 28."

Feminists overthrowing governments in 2017? It can be done, people :) :)

message 11: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Astrid wrote: "@MeerderWörter: "the moral right of the author has been asserted" - what does that mean?"

I have no idea, I only ever read it in English books. But let me see...
Oh wait, it's nothing bad:
Das Urheberpersönlichkeitsrecht wurde festgestellt. Mensch, und ich dachte es heißt sowas wie, dass sie eh moralisch in Ordnung ist. Puh, da hab ich echt was falsch übersetzt... tztztz:)

message 12: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Dagny Moland wrote: "A recommendation from Gloria Steinem:

“Trauma and Recovery,” Judith Herman

From shell shock in World War I to childhood sexual abuse today, the reality of trauma has been denied. But as this indi..."

With enough force we bring them to their knees.
It is all a matter of dedication, determination and deliberation. We can do it if we know how to. If we have enough people with us, we are a force.